First Argyle Game | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

First Argyle Game

Jul 6, 2011
I went with my dad and best friend. That first game was back in the 70s against Preston, Bobby Charlton was player manager and scored against us, but we won. Mariner and Rafferty led the line for us.

Reactions: Tamargreen
Apr 16, 2016
First game I can actually clearly remember was the Hendon game in 1972 aged 8. I spent half the game in the midst of a small group of Hendon fans ( coppers) near the old tunnel in the Mayflower ( suggesting no segregation) shouting Argyle as loud as I could. I remember the Hendon coppers asking each other what they could do to get rid of ' this annoying little runt' and then them also saying ' be careful he might have a big brother over there' as is in the Devonport End. ( I did)

Apr 1, 2017
My dad took me to my first match in 1979 against Sheffield Wednesday.
Won 2-0 with Fred Binney scoring both I believe

Jul 5, 2023
All I remember about the 1st match my Dad took me to, around 1970, stood with Dad's mates around where block 4 is now. Kit was white with the green banding. A dog ran onto the pitch and evaded capture until Mike Trebilcock? dived on the dog and hugged within his arms. A massive cheer went up from the crowd. No idea who we were playing and what the score was. Kept saying to Dad explain to me the offside rule....he had to do this about a hundred times

Oct 10, 2018
Also remember paying about £1.25 to watch argyle standing in Lyndhurst when we played Luton, when Foster the head band king was at the back. Don't think I ever saw him play without a head bandage on.

We had just bought a striker from Chalton called Stewart, can't remember first name Marcus possibly, the slop walking up.into Lyndhurst was significant too.

Jul 18, 2011
3-2 vs Santos, second was 1-3 vs Everton. Both 38,000 sell outs.

Though the very first non Argyle game was Bournemouth 3 Brentford 2 back in the 60s whilst away for Christmas

Jan 3, 2023
My dad took me to 0-0 v Cardiff in December 1967- relegation season - second game was the 0-1 against QPR with Rodney Marsh diving into the penalty area.
Can’t remember when I saw my first Argyle goal though as there weren’t many that season

Dec 9, 2012
I have recently completed and published a book on my childhood in Plymouth in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Naturally, there is a substantial section on my (and the whole family's) support for Argyle. Short extract coming up from my first proper memory of seeing Argyle play.

''The first game I can actually remember attending was on Saturday 5th October 1963 when I was eight years old. Argyle were playing the mighty Grimsby Town, and in front of a crowd of 9,595 won 3-2. I can’t remember any of the Argyle goals, but I do remember that Grimsby scored a late goal to make the score 3-2. It was a shot from inside the area and I remember the Argyle keeper Dave Maclaren leaping across the goal in a vain attempt to make a save. Sadly, this scenario was repeated frequently that season. It would have been a good idea to have stopped there, with a 100% winning supporting career but this was just the start. Not unusually, Argyle didn’t have a great time that season and come the last game of the season still had the spectre of relegation hanging over them. A big crowd of 17,383 rolled up to see if Argyle could avoid the drop. We were playing Rotherham United, who had had a good season and were near the top of the table. To be honest it was a pretty uneventful game and ended 0-0, which was just enough to keep Argyle up.''