First Five Games | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

First Five Games

Jul 2, 2014
Agree with McQ, performance will be every bit as important as points. I do think (and hope) that Adam's will treat these games as if they were the last five and be very focused of scraping out points.

However, I am somewhat more optimistic:

Wimbledon D (might be a loss though if our D is fragile or a win if they hold firm - confident that we will get a goal)
Portsmouth D (or a W or a L)
Carlisle W
Northampton D (hope, this might be tough one and an L)
Newport W

I wont even hazard a guess at scorelines, which I think could be really interesting this year - lost of 3-2 and even 4-3. So I am going for 6-10 points from the first five.

Last year went
Cambridge 1–0 Argyle (typical opener, we had chances but could also have lost by two as they missed a penalty)
Argyle 3–0 Exeter ( :thumbs: )
Argyle 1–1 Stevenage (Thank you ref for a extra extra time)
Bury 2–1 Argyle ( :banghead: )
Argyle 2–0 Southend (They had a player sent off after 15 minutes for a foul on Marvin)

So LWDLW (7 points) - not an auspicious start last year. I hope for better

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Graham Clark":37gduz5c said:
Last season Cheltenham were equal top with four wins and a draw after 5 games and got relegated!

Four of the top 7 last season after 5 games finished in the top 7 at the end of the season.

Argyle had 7 points after 5 games and were 10th with two wins and a draw.

As Luggy would say it is not how you start but how you finish in the League.

Never understood that. It matters massively if you miss out promotion by a 3 points because you lost the first match

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I would have thought achieving 10 points after just 5 games would be a very sound start, given the number of new players in the squad, who are finding their feet in a new league to them. Their pre-season friendlies have not been at the same SKY 2 standard, so they will need to learn 'on the hoof', without too much 'hoof' forward!

Apr 4, 2004
I think we will have a great season with some exiting attacking football.

But I also think it is very likely we will take a while to get going and for things to gel. I will be happy with anything more than 5 points from the first five games. As long as we can see some signs that we are moving the right way. I am certain we will concede more goals than we are used to. As I reckon we will be braver in attack and will commit more bodies forward than we have done for some time.

DA and Co need time to get us firing on all cylinders. I am more than happy to be patient, I only hope that most of us feel the same way.

A

andyr1963

Ade the green":n31ixbfj said:
Wimbledon D 1-1
Pompey H D 3-3
Carlisle H W 2-1
Northampton A L 2-3
Newport W 3-2

Argyle scores first.

8/15

Banging them in one end, leaking like a sieve the other.

For 11
Against 10

Why?

20 clean sheets last season and not a lot has changed defensively this.

First five games 10 points three wins one draw one defeat. :thumbs:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
andyr1963":1fyry6kp said:
Ade the green":1fyry6kp said:
Wimbledon D 1-1
Pompey H D 3-3
Carlisle H W 2-1
Northampton A L 2-3
Newport W 3-2

Argyle scores first.

8/15

Banging them in one end, leaking like a sieve the other.

For 11
Against 10

20 clean sheets last season and not a lot has changed defensively this.

First five games 10 points three wins one draw one defeat. :thumbs:

Why?

The team wont be set up as defensively as it was last year. I think most fans can see that.
Why?

Jul 22, 2013
Cobi Budge.":33adwwiv said:
Just worry that with a slow start the fans will be quickly on the managers back and the pasoti cries of "we should have kept Sheridan" will start.

A new manager needs time to implement his ideas. DA will be a long term success (I think), not a short term fix.

For what it's worth, I think we will make an alright start. Nothing spectacular but nothing poor.
The cries for the return of Sheridan will never come from here, rather get relegated than his return.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
If we are to get out of this division then we have to start off by beating the Wimbledons and the Portsmouths of this league,as frankly if we cant win these games, what hope is there against Notts County, Leyton Orient,Bristol Rovers,Luton,Wycombe,Stevenage,etc etc....who will be just as strong maybe stronger...

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
laney1963":iwziwrj0 said:
Cobi Budge.":iwziwrj0 said:
Just worry that with a slow start the fans will be quickly on the managers back and the pasoti cries of "we should have kept Sheridan" will start.

A new manager needs time to implement his ideas. DA will be a long term success (I think), not a short term fix.

For what it's worth, I think we will make an alright start. Nothing spectacular but nothing poor.
The cries for the return of Sheridan will never come from here, rather get relegated than his return.
We really do have some idiots supporting us. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Whether you like him or not Sheridan is the best manager we have had since Hollowords. If Adams gets us promoted then a small bit of credit should go to Sheridan for leaving the foundations in place.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Quinny":2xfmrufm said:
4 games in and we're doing better than most anticipated...

Indeed Quinny!

Probably just as well that those contributing have nothing to do with the real team!

:lol: