Fletcher to start against Chelsea, and maybe loaned out | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fletcher to start against Chelsea, and maybe loaned out

Aug 26, 2011
John Cooper":1hevep3k said:
tomas19":1hevep3k said:
My point is the boys who got pro developments are not going to be developed simple as. Derek has no intention of giving these lads a chance. Pro developments are given out for the purpose of Peninsula football. Just look at last years development pros, how were they meant to develop when
they didn't even get to train with the first team. Just a waste of a year in my eyes, feel sorry for them.

Tomas, you come over as someone with an axe to grind?

He ain't grinding no axe

He's just saying it as it so clearly is

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
As soon as we have cover Fletcher should be loaned out. These youngsters need proper first team football and League One isnā€™t the time or place to give it to them.

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
Nobby":11taury1 said:
As soon as we have cover Fletcher should be loaned out. These youngsters need proper first team football and League One isnā€™t the time or place to give it to them.

No he needs to be part of this team, rewarded with game time and allowed to prove himself.

Dec 12, 2006
Nobby":12ugzenz said:

I don't want to be over optimistic, as your probably right, however, if he is good enough then he's old enough. Wouldn't it be great if he could actually cut it at L1 level and become a future star.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Nobby":t2gy2y4f said:
In our current situation i think it would benefit both club and player if he could at least be used as a tactical sub. If we need our young players to be good enough for League One we need to help them. If he does go out on loan please let it be a professional outfit and not a local semi-pro side.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Green_Matt":1x9dt5j2 said:
Nobby":1x9dt5j2 said:
In our current situation i think it would benefit both club and player if he could at least be used as a tactical sub. If we need our young players to be good enough for League One we need to help them. If he does go out on loan please let it be a professional outfit and not a local semi-pro side.

...and here's the problem.

If he goes out on loan to a poor team, he won't improve very much and eventually he'll come back and get let go and Pasoti will be full of people saying he clearly wasn't good enough for the team.

There doesn't seem to be any appetite to see young players come through, at the club or on this board, it's really, really strange. We don't need to be giving Fletcher 75 minutes every week, but the odd 10 minutes here and there? Is that so completely outrageous?

Larry David

āœ… Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Well now that's interesting! Chelsea have agreed to loan us the young promising striker who scored two goals tonight for the rest of the season. Could have read the headline, and people would be delighted.

Except the reality is we have the young promising striker in Fletcher. What now Derek?

Aug 5, 2005
Andy Holland":1bg8rgem said:
Green_Matt":1bg8rgem said:
Nobby":1bg8rgem said:

If he goes out on loan to a poor team, he won't improve very much and eventually he'll come back and get let go and Pasoti will be full of people saying he clearly wasn't good enough for the team.

There doesn't seem to be any appetite to see young players come through, at the club or on this board, it's really, really strange. We don't need to be giving Fletcher 75 minutes every week, but the odd 10 minutes here and there? Is that so completely outrageous?

Yes but what is going to learn from the odd 10 minutes here and there? Surely if he is to develop he needs to play somewhere where he starts? Sitting on the bench will teach him nothing

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Good point Andy -

Quizmike i would take training into consideration when weighing up where his development is best suited. Personally would rather he trained with our first XI and got some game time as and when. At least that gives a good barometer as to how good he really is. Knocking in goals 3/4 divisions down may boost his confidence but that doesn't necessarily correlate to development of his overall game.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Heā€™s scored twice vs the type of players he faces every week (kids). Holds no bearing on how he would perform in a league match. By all means stick him on the bench on Saturday, but long term a loan will be best for his development in my opinion.

If we want to do anything this season we canā€™t be relying on Alex Fletcher for our goals. No disrespect to the lad, iā€™d love to be wrong.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Quizmike":292h3kge said:
Andy Holland":292h3kge said:
Green_Matt":292h3kge said:
Nobby":292h3kge said:

Yes but what is going to learn from the odd 10 minutes here and there? Surely if he is to develop he needs to play somewhere where he starts? Sitting on the bench will teach him nothing

That is how 99% of young players come through - starting off with 10 minute spells. It seems like every team does this apart from us.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
90 minutes of football or occasional 10 here and there, which is best for the lad, which is best for Argyle? FA development programmes will say opposite to what most fans on here would decide I suggest.

Anyway - well done to young Alex for tonight.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i would agree with andy holland on this.put him on the bench and throw him on for 10-15 minutes and inevitably during the season the "first choice" centre forward will get injure dearly on and he will get longer periods and eventually start matches.this lad has the instinct for being in the right place at the right time.i would take him to southend on saturday without a doubt.