Friday Night Reserve Match | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Friday Night Reserve Match

Aug 12, 2015
just wondering if anyone can shed light on this I don't watch many reserve games due to a hectic work schedule but I read in tonights herald that derek adams wasn't looking at left back cover for ben purrington because he has to players capable of filling that role namely sonny Bradley and Jordan Bentley when I have got to games i am sure Bentley is a right footed centre half so this said does it mean there is no interest in using genuine left backs calver or law so if what I read from reports by fans who attend regulary and give good reports on both said players it means nothing

Feb 28, 2016
Greenarmy1969":1i1153d1 said:
just wondering if anyone can shed light on this I don't watch many reserve games due to a hectic work schedule but I read in tonights herald that derek adams wasn't looking at left back cover for ben purrington because he has to players capable of filling that role namely sonny Bradley and Jordan Bentley when I have got to games i am sure Bentley is a right footed centre half so this said does it mean there is no interest in using genuine left backs calver or law so if what I read from reports by fans who attend regulary and give good reports on both said players it means nothing

Well if we look at these individually.

Ryan Law is not even near finishing his first year as an apprentice let alone his apprenticeship(he will have only left school less then 6 months ago). I must admit the first couple of times I saw him I did have some reservations. I now have high hopes for him, he has completely won me around in a very short space of time. I think Jordan is very much the exception not the rule when it comes to registering first year apprentices post administration ( Even with him, it only happened near the end of his first year and the only other apprentice we registered last season was a second year in Cory Harvey.) Jack Calver has been out injured (and like fellow first year Harry Hodges at RB, where Palfrey is out on loan and Sam Ryan is out injured) Law is getting a lot of game time in men's football exceeding what (even he) may have been expecting, this I believe will help him no end.

Two points regarding Ryan Law, firstly IMO, no fan (even the most pro youth amongst us) should be slating/ posting negative things about Adams for not using Law for cover, as I've stated it could be argued he is already ahead of schedule with the amount of game time in the SWPL, at this point it could turn out to be counter productive, if he did get on the pitch and not have a great game in the first team.

Secondly no fan should see what I've just typed to be any reason to write Ryan off, he is only a first a year, with great potential and is a name we should be looking out for, but lets give him the space and time to develop as player,mentally and physically. At the moment he is taking his chances and doing very well but he is still on a long road.

Regarding Jack Calver, I've not read the article you may be referring to, but Jack was himself injured during this, (although he did play against Tavistock on Friday, all be it in, I believe to be his preferred position in Midfield,) so up to now I would give Adams the benefit of the doubt. There is now, however no reason or excuse to not, register Jack. He has impressed at LB in the reserves, is more than capable to cover Purrington (initially at least, in the fairly unlikely event Ben would need to come off.) He is the age of a traditional first year pro. I think it would be extremely harsh to put Jordan above Jack in LB pecking order.

If Jack, Bill Palfrey and Ben Steer don't get professional game time this season, either (here or on loan)how can the club reasonably justify, their judgment in deciding to either award them a full professional contract or to release them?