Geograhical Location Excuses.... | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Geograhical Location Excuses....

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
Ade the green":3lnxpnwn said:
I actually thought I was playing along with a jokey thread.

Didn't realised I'd tuned into a nut house. We're Plymouth Argyle not a team of travellers.

Yeah right.

We are Plymouth Argyle and a bunch of losers.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":3q2lyjt9 said:
If I were a player, what would put me off would be the amount of travelling and late nights incured with away games. I wonder how long an Argyle player's working week is compared to what it might be elsewhere.
This has to be a factor. If we had gone up this year we would have been looking at over 13,000 miles of travelling which us 3 times what Bury will have and this will add an average of 6 to 7 hours on the road to each away game. Likewise a club like Bury or Rochdale or Barnet or Wycombe have far more chance of getting a young loaned with many bigger clubs close by. The Swansea analogy isn't really comparable with many foreign players there as well as comparatively huge contracts to soften the blow. Maybe rather than city boys we should focus on Scots, Irish or foreign players who might be more used to rural living. It's not only the away travel but also following a home game it's an 8 to 10 hour round trip to London or the north for a day or two at home.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Steamer":1tthwh59 said:
Ade the green":1tthwh59 said:

Didn't realised I'd tuned into a nut house. We're Plymouth Argyle not a team of travellers.

Yeah right.

You don't like it hack off.

Why should the team (any team) be based away from the city it represents?
Every mile the team travels is shared by the fans.

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
Ade the green":2w9bm82q said:
Steamer":2w9bm82q said:
Ade the green":2w9bm82q said:

Yeah right.

Oi!!!

Why should I (as you put it) Hack off.

There appears to be a stark choice here. Find a rich sugardaddy . . but oh, then the purist say "thats not real football, buying your way to the top". Pray to god and hope he has a green tint or do something clever.

At the moment we are a crap team, 6 years in decline and just a bump this year into the playoffs where we played like a bunch of nonnies. Is that your view of how it should be.

If you are so clever, come up with something clever.

N

newquaygreen

ihe":hf5vreu4 said:
We need a proper fugging airport,with destinations other than Lundan :mad:

short drive to newquay or exeter and thena flight to loads of places in England

Jan 27, 2012
pilgrimage":37lblrum said:
gaspargomez":37lblrum said:
Swansea isn't particularly easy to reach. They seem to be doing OK. This stuff about Argyle's location is a load of bull.

Rubbish. Have you been to nearby Cardiff? Bristol not that far nor Birmingham really. Motorways, airports, international venues for sport, concerts etc.

Plymouth is thought of a place full of country bumpkins. Nothing wrong with that as Pie Face proves.

Not quite rubbish. I have lived in Cardiff, and visted Swansea plenty of times. Its not so easy to reach from London and the north. (I will also add that Swansea does not have a bigger population catchment than Argyle).

Its not like the UK is a massive country like Australia or Canada. We have a good rail network, good roads, and everything is relatively close. Its a shame Plymouth doesn't have an airport but we are not THAT cut off for crying out load.

May 22, 2006
The problem really is one of ignorance and stupidity. We're a small island - this whole notion of being "out on a limb" is nonsense. But ask anyone about the geography of this country and you'd think that the south west peninsula was this freakish bit of land that juts out several thousands of miles into the atlantic.

As far as most people are concerned, the country stops at Bristol and everything beyond that is dragons, cliquey pubs, inbreeding farmers and people in smocks sucking on bits of hay going "ooooh-aaar". When people try to do a Plymouth accent (assuming they haven't mistaken Plymouth for Portsmouth) they do a sort of cross between a pirate and a farmer. They refer to Swindon as the "Westcountry". They look at train timetables and scoff at the idea of having to travel for a whole 3.5 hours, but they'd love to live in that America where everything is a 4-hour drive at least.

The last time I went to Plymouth, everything was fine. There were a few boarded up shops, but there's these things called "on-line shopping" and "the recession" which means quite a few cities have them, even the really posh ones. There wasn't too much vomit around the city centre, the locals pass on by without staring at you for too long, the buses don't spontaneously combust (*cough*LIKETHEYDIDINLONDONFORAWHILE*cough*), people don't get stabbed on a daily basis (*cough*MANCHESTER*cough*), the city isn't completely grey, depressing and rainy (Birmingham).

There's literally no reason why a footballer wouldn't want to live in Plymouth. If only they knew. That's always been Plymouth's problem - it just doesn't sell itself. If you don't shout from the rooftops about how ruddy great you are (like Newcastle did) then how is anybody supposed to know?

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Steamer":23fnofxy said:
Ade the green":23fnofxy said:
Steamer":23fnofxy said:
Ade the green":23fnofxy said:

Yeah right.

Oi!!!

Why should I (as you put it) Hack off.

There appears to be a stark choice here. Find a rich sugardaddy . . but oh, then the purist say "thats not real football, buying your way to the top". Pray to god and hope he has a green tint or do something clever.

At the moment we are a crap team, 6 years in decline and just a bump this year into the playoffs where we played like a bunch of nonnies. Is that your view of how it should be.

If you are so clever, come up with something clever.

We know where we have to go now and it's not just outside the M25.
It won't always be like it's been the last 6 years and if you think anyone is coming here with a shed load of money you're mistaken. Any investment to the scale you think is going to be in the shape of a loan and put us back in the mire.

I believe we'll have a more organic growth which means small steps forward but not slipping back. Hence why Wycombe were nearly relegated last season, in the playoffs this and if not promoted they'll be at the bottom next. (IMO). They know it which is why they were more focused.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
gaspargomez":1tdwwdip said:
pilgrimage":1tdwwdip said:
gaspargomez":1tdwwdip said:
Swansea isn't particularly easy to reach. They seem to be doing OK. This stuff about Argyle's location is a load of bull.

Rubbish. Have you been to nearby Cardiff? Bristol not that far nor Birmingham really. Motorways, airports, international venues for sport, concerts etc.

Plymouth is thought of a place full of country bumpkins. Nothing wrong with that as Pie Face proves.

Not quite rubbish. I have lived in Cardiff, and visted Swansea plenty of times. Its not so easy to reach from London and the north. (I will also add that Swansea does not have a bigger population catchment than Argyle).

Its not like the UK is a massive country like Australia or Canada. We have a good rail network, good roads, and everything is relatively close. Its a shame Plymouth doesn't have an airport but we are not THAT cut off for crying out load.

No we aren't but someone looking at a road map from elsewhere would think so.

Feb 15, 2005
So why not stretch our scouting net out further like we did to get the Legend David Friio, Roman Larrieu, Peter Halmosi, Kristian Timar etc. a good sprinkling of foreign players in the team won't be hankering to go back up North. The airport thing is a myth as we are 45 minutes from Exeter and a little longer to Newquay which both serve lots of UK destinations. In London the airports take that amount of time to access.

Sorry buck 197 but I cannot agree with you.

The lack of a decent airport in Plymouth WILL continue to be the city's Achilles Heel for ever and a day.

Plymouth will never develop because of its remoteness AND lack of airport.

It cannot cope with BOTH successfully.

It will stay an attractive but 2-bit city in the back of beyond - attractive to live in but not attractive enough to entice the developers........................and the money !!

Until a miracle.......................

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Oct 24, 2010
The simple answer is to focus on singing overseas players. I don't think we have had one in our squad this season, if you exclude O'Connor and McHugh.