Gregg Wylde keen to stay for the long term | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Gregg Wylde keen to stay for the long term

Jul 2, 2014
Like others, I think he has fantastic pace and, on his day, can really be a game change. However, yesterday his runs were usually snuffed out, his passes were to frequently intercepted, and his crosses suggested a huge mental disconnect with Jervis. In each of these it may be that Wimbledon deserve credit rather than him blame, and perhaps Jervis cut in to the box too quickly - I really don't know. I would keep him, but Adams will know better than any of us, whether Wylde can improve in certain areas and become more consistent. He seems to pair well with Sawyer. Perhaps he can get better service from the center of the park to support his runs. But he needs to have a better relationship with strikers and the right mid-field. A little extra weight would help, if it didn't slow him down.

Oct 31, 2015
If he stays which I would like then get some players in who will attack his crosses in the 6 yard box ffs

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
TheFlyer":38orclwl said:
Wimbledon knew he was a danger and every time he got the ball he was closed down and as a result he had to go close to the byline to get the space to cross and inevitably the crosses were hurried . What DA doesn't do is take advantage of the fact that very often Gregg occupies two defenders, potentially leaving another man up front with space but if we're only playing one up front we can't press home this numerical advantage.

I'm all for keeping Wylde but would like him to cut inside more and shoot. He's got a terrific shot but we rarely see it.

I agree with that and disagree with Josh, the previous poster.

I believe that, with his skill and pace, he should have the variety in his game to sometimes be getting into the penalty area and inviting challenges or taking shots and, at other times, going to the by-line and crossing. With that variety, he could be earning us at least 3 or 4 penalties per season.

This season, we have only earned 2 penalties and neither has been won by Gregg.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
When he reaches the byline with 2 or 3 defenders on him and only one person in the box surrounded by 3 or 4 defenders it is difficult to cross the ball and find that one person. Against Hartlepool, Harvey tracked his run and was in the box on the right side of his defender to put the ball in the onion bag. It`s not a wingers job to skin his fullback and then wait for support in the box, rather the other attacking players should be up with him, and no winger in history has a 100% success rate with crosses, and they are invariably put in under pressure. He is a definite "keeper" in my opinion.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Wingers cant always beat their man and deliver a perfect cross when there is only 1 in the box if he is lucky.

I think he gets far too much criticism at times and is a good fast attacking player for Division 4.
If he was any better he simply wouldn't be playing for us

Jun 8, 2014
davie nine":11e9z6a1 said:
TheFlyer":11e9z6a1 said:
Wimbledon knew he was a danger and every time he got the ball he was closed down and as a result he had to go close to the byline to get the space to cross and inevitably the crosses were hurried . What DA doesn't do is take advantage of the fact that very often Gregg occupies two defenders, potentially leaving another man up front with space but if we're only playing one up front we can't press home this numerical advantage.

I'm all for keeping Wylde but would like him to cut inside more and shoot. He's got a terrific shot but we rarely see it.

I agree with that and disagree with Josh, the previous poster.

I believe that, with his skill and pace, he should have the variety in his game to sometimes be getting into the penalty area and inviting challenges or taking shots and, at other times, going to the by-line and crossing. With that variety, he could be earning us at least 3 or 4 penalties per season.

This season, we have only earned 2 penalties and neither has been won by Gregg.

It's a fair point. I do think he should be mixing up his game a lot more. He's got the pace to threaten in different ways, either by cutting in or out or running down the line but I'm not sure he utilises it enough.