Has anyone reported the Lino? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Has anyone reported the Lino?

C

Cobi Budge.

Usually I am a big supporter of the "don't give what you can't take" view, when it comes to players.

HOWEVER.

When it comes to officials, the situation completely changes, and this shouldn't be allowed or tolerated.

A player isn't neutral, a player is purposely trying to beat the opposing team, and therefore the opposing fans, an official should be neutral, and if an official is making hand gestures toward a particular group of supporters, that could bring bias in to it as the official seeks to wind up or holds a grudge against the team those fans support, the official has the power to tip the match directly, unlike the player.

No issue with players responding to fans, BUT, it shouldn't be tolerated if it's an official.

C

Cobi Budge.

Why is it rubbish to believe a match official should be professional and completely neutral? That's part of the definition.

Oct 15, 2013
Cobi Budge.":3rw2apvm said:
Usually I am a big supporter of the "don't give what you can't take" view, when it comes to players.

HOWEVER.

When it comes to officials, the situation completely changes, and this shouldn't be allowed or tolerated.

A player isn't neutral, a player is purposely trying to beat the opposing team, and therefore the opposing fans, an official should be neutral, and if an official is making hand gestures toward a particular group of supporters, that could bring bias in to it as the official seeks to wind up or holds a grudge against the team those fans support, the official has the power to tip the match directly, unlike the player.

No issue with players responding to fans, BUT, it shouldn't be tolerated if it's an official.

I've thought about it and I think I'm with you on this one. I witnessed the 'gesture' which was nothing much but the fact it was done by an official towards watching fans was pretty astonishing. I've never seen an official react towards a crowd before and I was taken by surprise.

In this particular instance the lino flagged offside when the entire Lyndhurst passionately disagreed with him. I must admit, I've never heard the crowd (especially the Lyndy Library) react so loudly and unanimously to a bad offside call before and he was bombarded by a wave of boo's and jeers. Hundreds of people saw his gesture too, because the Lyndy erupted in outrage even more after he did it.

There are 2 issues as I see it. First as you point out, his gesture calls into question his neutrality because clearly the jeering had rattled him and the natural human reaction is "I'll make them pay for that, any close calls will not be going their way". Secondly and perhaps more seriously, the gesture could have incited any nutcases behind him to launch an assault. The crowd were already seething with his decision so a quick flip of the hand is baiting the sharks. When tensions are high, it doesn't take a lot to spark violence as anyone who's witnessed a pub brawl will know.

I think he can count himself lucky that he flipped the middle section of the Lyndy, which is largely full of Grandads ;) , otherwise he might have got himself filled in :lol:

C

Cobi Budge.

I agree UncleBuck, whatever the gesture was, serious or not, it shouldn't be made by an official, I've never seen something like that happen before.

No problem with fans-players banter, but I'm afraid fans-officials should only go one way, and they shouldn't be officiating professional football matches if they can't handle that.

Oct 15, 2013
Cobi Budge.":303en9u5 said:
I agree UncleBuck, whatever the gesture was, serious or not, it shouldn't be made by an official, I've never seen something like that happen before.

No problem with fans-players banter, but I'm afraid fans-officials should only go one way, and they shouldn't be officiating professional football matches if they can't handle that.

The gesture itself was a flip of the fingers, which in Chav language could be roughly translated to fighting talk "Yeah? come on then".

Definitely think he was lucky and if he'd done that in front of a bunch of rough nutters then he'd be in deep trouble. At the very least there would have been a wrestle between stewards and fans, then it would have been discovered that he'd flipped the fans and I don't think the FA would take a good view of that, baiting a crowd.

Feb 25, 2007
St Blazey
Banter. Fair play to him. Some people are just to touchy about things. If Argyle fans got behind their side as much as giving the bloody lino stick we would have a great atmosphere inside Home Park.

Jul 30, 2013
The Wicked Westcountry
Blimey. If I was some of our own players I'd stick two fingers up to that side.

Can't give abuse then moan pathetically.

I know it gets a bit heated but I bet you weren't complaining when the man next to you was screaming at him and calling him things that would almost certainly be blocked out on here.

Don't give what you can't take, they have a difficult job as it is anyway without people getting on their backs after jeering from a decision which you may be looking at with your green tinted glasses anyway..

Also, the idea that the football league would listen :lol:

Apr 30, 2011
UncleBuck":1hbecheg said:
Cobi Budge.":1hbecheg said:

HOWEVER.

I've thought about it and I think I'm with you on this one. I witnessed the 'gesture' which was nothing much but the fact it was done by an official towards watching fans was pretty astonishing. I've never seen an official react towards a crowd before and I was taken by surprise.

In this particular instance the lino flagged offside when the entire Lyndhurst passionately disagreed with him. I must admit, I've never heard the crowd (especially the Lyndy Library) react so loudly and unanimously to a bad offside call before and he was bombarded by a wave of boo's and jeers. Hundreds of people saw his gesture too, because the Lyndy erupted in outrage even more after he did it.

There are 2 issues as I see it. First as you point out, his gesture calls into question his neutrality because clearly the jeering had rattled him and the natural human reaction is "I'll make them pay for that, any close calls will not be going their way". Secondly and perhaps more seriously, the gesture could have incited any nutcases behind him to launch an assault. The crowd were already seething with his decision so a quick flip of the hand is baiting the sharks. When tensions are high, it doesn't take a lot to spark violence as anyone who's witnessed a pub brawl will know.

I think he can count himself lucky that he flipped the middle section of the Lyndy, which is largely full of Grandads ;) , otherwise he might have got himself filled in :lol:

If someone sees fit to physically attack an official for doing an upside down wave after probably being called all the names under the sun then they don't deserve to be in our ground.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Have we become so sensitive that we can't interact with others even on a work basis for a bit of fun?

What's the freaking world coming too?

Were all human FFS, why try and "report" someone for trying to have a bit of a laugh?

Sensitivity is slowly drawing out anything fun and it's slowly becoming mundane and boring that people are so up tight and wanting to beat down on anything other than the mainstream robotic 'this is the only way to do your job' instructions.

I loath people who so willingly moan just to get a response from something so trivial. It sums up the way society is going.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Was that it then, an upside down wave? Dear oh dear 4 pages of discussion over that. Do people really think a wave from the lino who was probably chuckling to himself after receiving a cacophony of boos was going to influence his decisions during the remainder of the match. For goodness sake get a life some of you. This is even more precious than those who can't sleep at night because one of the players didn't clap them after a game.