Hollowords Sky Prediction for Sunday | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hollowords Sky Prediction for Sunday

Sep 25, 2010
PlymouthCasual":3g75aubs said:
I don't blame Holloway as I beleive that he had the rug pulled from beneath his feet by Stapleton and his cronies. If the chairman of my team offloaded four of my best players whilst 7th in The Championship, I would be looking for a way out as well.

Yes, but he was telling other clubs, about the state of our players contracts, and then they left

Sep 19, 2015
Martyn":3t4kcfzh said:
Yes, but he was telling other clubs, about the state of our players contracts, and then they left

Has this been proved though Martyn? Could it not be that some Board members at the time saw a great opportunity to line there pockets? Or that the players agent was contacted by Wolves and passed the information on knowing full well that they were going to benefit?

I doubt we will ever fully find out what happened which is a shame though

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
We need to be careful chaps, I've already had a post pulled by our Pasoti solicitor.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
IJN":qzw5nn5e said:
We need to be careful chaps, I've already had a post pulled by our Pasoti solicitor.

Can you send him round my place Ian? ... I've got some fencing needs replacing!! :whistle:

On a serious note: can't see why people are posting "accusations/insinuations" on such an historic topic? Game over guys, we are DA's Green & White Army, we are 'back together again', just enjoy it and forget the 'H' word and the 'S' words. They are history!

Enjoy today, live for the future! :scarf: :scarf:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Good point and I got sucked in as well.

I've learned my lesson and have been admonished by the Mods.

J

Jimmy75

Holloway arguably put together the best Argyle side ever together. Like many angry the way it finished but have great memories of the open attacking style and a great period watching Argyle.

Sep 25, 2010
Jimmy75":3h573u76 said:
Holloway arguably put together the best Argyle side ever together. Like many angry the way it finished but have great memories of the open attacking style and a great period watching Argyle.

The best Argyle side ever, you have got to be joking.

Stevie Wotsa

✅ Evergreen
Nov 4, 2012
Devonport
I think people need to get over it and let the man be. Im judging him by the football that was produced at home park under him not the politics!

The football was some of the best ive ever seen at Argyle top half of the championship

we will never fully understand the real facts.

But its time to move on and look forward with new hope.

:scarf:

CFG

Jun 21, 2013
Won't comment on the man and there is no doubt that he had a decent side (whether he put it together or not is a different matter) but I was never convinced that we played free flowing football during that era. I have always felt that to be a bit of a myth. Of course there was the odd stirring comeback (Cardiff) and he did tend to make attacking substitutions but we still played a fair amount of long ball. Good times yes. But not a patch on the Shilton team for me.

Nov 2, 2004
Not one of the Shilton team would have got in Holloway 1st eleven.Before anyone says what about Dalton or Castle.Dalton was not a patch on Halmosi and Castle as was later proved was too slow for a higher division.The rest I would not even consider.Thinking again maybe McCall but that's it.

May 22, 2006
There was nothing anyone could have done about that player exodus. Capaldi had already gone and tripled his wages - how do you compete with that? When a club like Everton comes in for one of your young players, you're probably going to lose that player. Doesn't matter if you're Plymouth Argyle, Derby County, Nottingham Forest or Blackburn Rovers. Even if by some miracle we could have matched their wages, how on earth do you convince a young player to turn down a chance like that?

We had no chance. All our players went to clubs that were either in the Prem or bound for it. And I don't buy the idea that Holloway told other clubs about their contracts. They didn't need telling. It doesn't take a genius to work out that low crowds + no wealthy backers = crap contracts. What really killed us was the local population refusing to come out and support a team on the verge of the play-offs. Some of the attendances that season were ridiculous. Maybe if we'd had a bit more money from gate income, we might have stood a chance. As it was, we were ripe for the plucking.

CFG

Jun 21, 2013
ealinggreen":zbrerkt5 said:
Not one of the Shilton team would have got in Holloway 1st eleven.Before anyone says what about Dalton or Castle.Dalton was not a patch on Halmosi and Castle as was later proved was too slow for a higher division.The rest I would not even consider.Thinking again maybe McCall but that's it.

Perhaps it's rose tinted spectacles and I was relatively young but I thought Dalton was a world beater! I agree with you on a player by player basis - saying they were not a patch on Shilton's team was the wrong phrase. Holloway's team had internationals and were in a higher league etc. the point I meant to make is about the style of football. I never felt that we played particularly good football under Holloway. I'm no purist and it isn't the be all and end all but I feel like people talk about the Holloway era as if we played the beautiful game for a season and a half. I don't remember it that way.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Ham Green":q42jhhrx said:
There was nothing anyone could have done about that player exodus. Capaldi had already gone and tripled his wages - how do you compete with that? When a club like Everton comes in for one of your young players, you're probably going to lose that player. Doesn't matter if you're Plymouth Argyle, Derby County, Nottingham Forest or Blackburn Rovers. Even if by some miracle we could have matched their wages, how on earth do you convince a young player to turn down a chance like that?

We had no chance. All our players went to clubs that were either in the Prem or bound for it. And I don't buy the idea that Holloway told other clubs about their contracts. They didn't need telling. It doesn't take a genius to work out that low crowds + no wealthy backers = crap contracts. What really killed us was the local population refusing to come out and support a team on the verge of the play-offs. Some of the attendances that season were ridiculous. Maybe if we'd had a bit more money from gate income, we might have stood a chance. As it was, we were ripe for the plucking.
Well said and totally agree with this.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
CFG":k7u21fow said:
ealinggreen":k7u21fow said:

Perhaps it's rose tinted spectacles and I was relatively young but I thought Dalton was a world beater! I agree with you on a player by player basis - saying they were not a patch on Shilton's team was the wrong phrase. Holloway's team had internationals and were in a higher league etc. the point I meant to make is about the style of football. I never felt that we played particularly good football under Holloway. I'm no purist and it isn't the be all and end all but I feel like people talk about the Holloway era as if we played the beautiful game for a season and a half. I don't remember it that way.

:clap: Bang on. I often scratch my head and have to check if I missed something.