Hull Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hull Brief Synopsis sponsored by Bromleigh House

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
It was flipping marvelous…

…helped by the fact that several players had their best match of the season (Mumba, Devine, Edwards, Bundu before he went off, Wright after he came on). Others had games that were right up there (Scarr, Randell) and none of the others faltered whatsoever (Cooper, Phillips, Gibson, Hardie, who ran and ran and stopped Hull from playing how they wanted to, and even Whittaker, who despite still looking an utterly forlorn figure who cannot comprehend why every seems to have fallen apart, still managed to do more today than in the last I don’t know how many games put together).

Dan Scarr has been a revelation since he returned to the side. I was always concerned about his lack of pace but in the last however many games it has been I haven‘t once found myself worrying about this, and the impact that he has had in organising the defence and just making us that bit more robust at the back has been hugely important. Ian Foster got things badly wrong with Scarr. (And on a similar vein, I can’t help be have an extra little smile when thinking that the goal that kept us up came from a cross from Callum ‘The Man Who Came In From The Cold’ Wright.)

But Joe Edwards - what is there to say? He may struggle to keep going for the whole game and he may not have quite the pace that is really needed to play the wing-back role at Championship level but boy was he an inspiration and a leader today - showing the attitude we needed to display through his actions throughout the game, constantly organising, communicating and calming everyone around him, including the crowd. Like Scarr and Wright he was frozen out of the side to some extent so it must be incredibly satisfying for him to have scored today and for it to be the goal that kept us up. Make no mistake, that goal is as, if not more, important that a winning goal in a play-off final (which today‘s game was effectively equivalent to from an Argyle perspective) or the much-loved goal that resulted from David Friio’s forward surge against QPR. In effect, that goal today was a promotion winning goal, except that it came at least one season early. If there was any uncertainty before today there surely can’t be any now - Joe Edwards really is an Argyle legend isn’t he?

May 16, 2015
That was the performance that the Green Army was hoping for. The desire and effort from the team was phenomenal and Dewship and Nance’s tactics were spot on.

It was a tense afternoon but the atmosphere was incredible.

Take a bow Joe Edwards - one of the best performances I’ve ever seen from an Argyle player. He is an Argyle legend…

Sep 6, 2006
That was the performance that the Green Army was hoping for. The desire and effort from the team was phenomenal and Dewship and Nance’s tactics were spot on.

It was a tense afternoon but the atmosphere was incredible.

Take a bow Joe Edwards - one of the best performances I’ve ever seen from an Argyle player. He is an Argyle legend…
Agreed. Does he join the list of legends now alongside Tommy, Friio Mariner....?

Reactions: IvyG and Landsender

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Whoever decided to play Alfie Devine today in Central midfield today, won us the game.

I have no idea why this lad hasn't been given more opportunities in a slightly deeper role, but today the choice was made & it helped the team by giving us a much better attacking potency in the final third.

I don't know why it's taken this amount of time to start him in a postion in a slightly deeper role Especially, when the talk of the Port Vale fans was exactly this in regards to his improving performances at the end of his loan spell there. Yet better late than never, as he gave Argyle an attacking impetus that quite frankly we haven't seen for some time. I was extremely pleased to see his energy & work rate as he did his defensive duties with real maturity. Yet he was always showing for the ball. Eager to be part of a press. To snap away at Hull City players and get stuck in.

However, his limelight was stolen by that of Captain Marvel. Like a man possessed today. It was like watching someone who had necked a dozen red bull cans & then decided to play football. The guy was literally everywhere. And you would think the goal, which was beautifully ran onto from Wright's delicious cross, would be my favourite thing about his performance. Yet strangley it wasn't. It was watching him, especially in the second half snap into tackles. Sliding with controlled aggression. Often this starting a counter attack.

He represents everything which is good about Argyle. Determination, character, work rate & effort. These players aren't "bottlers" as they were wrongly labelled about Stoke & Millwall defeats. They just have maxmised every ounce of their talent to get to the championship stage. And sometimes you have to accept you can only go so far with limited characteristics & that despite you giving everything if you have decfencies they will show up the higher levels you go. And over the last two weeks that's what happened. But Edwards also proved today if you keep trying & working hard then that can also bring you rewards where fans can appreciate somebody who gives everything for the badge.

And thats what made me so proud today. That even if we lost that game he was not going to come off that pitch without leaving everything on it.

The game itself l thought Argyle were the better team overall. Hull continuing to play it around the back was getting themselves in a pickle. Whittaker was very unlucky not to put us 1 up after we pressed them into a mistake. Unfortunately, the onrushing Allslop got his head in the way of the shot. Argyle continued to probe & press. We got the goal but Hull still looked dangerous as they looked to play the ball between our wing backs & centre backs. Sometimes the pass was often over hit. Sometimes we had to really battle to get a foot in. Yet overall we looked fairly soild.

My impressions at half time were that you could see Hull had some good technical players. Yet you felt like Argyle wanted this match so much more. And whilst Hull got in good positions in the second half their lack of belief seemed to fade with their playoff hopes as the match got closer & closer to the end.

In the end, the Argyle, staff, players & fans had a battle more coping with the mental anguish of knowing Birmingham had taken the lead than what Hull could chuck at them. Yet we stayed focused & concentrated. The minutes ticking down more slowly than watching a duracell bunny coming to the end of its life. Yet when that whistle blew it was just a great mixture of elation & relief.

And so the dust settles on another season. Wondering who is going to sit in the home park hot seat. The Argyle piggy bank is now awaiting its biggest cash windfall in years. Everything is looking great once more. Yet to not accept we made some massive errors this season would be the greatest mistake of all. We can now draw a line under this season. Use the experiences we had & hopefully be alot more wiser for them.

And as fans, l know we want nothing but success for the club, but sometimes we have to also embrace the reality we face. The fact is whether we stayed up or not, despite the mistakes, Argyle gave everything. And sometimes in life we only reward & embrace situations in moments of happiness, like tonight. Yet relegation wasn't the end of the world. It just would of been a set back. I think sometimes we get so emotional about this game that we forget the bigger picture. And whilst we have this chairman / owner here, then the club will forecer be in good hands. Maybe not enough for some, but good enough for me.

Brillant result. Great atmosphere. Everyone connected to this club should be bursting with pride. COYG's.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I'm not sure last season will ever be topped, but blimey this came close.

Another reminder of the spirit, the togetherness, and the relentless determination to win that this remarkable group has.

Defying the odds again. An outstanding achievement. Immensely proud of my club.

Reactions: DarkGreen
Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
Every day this week I have woken up with this game in my head (and a fair bit of angst from the Millwall game). Incredibly nervous all day yesterday, for once the Janner song did not calm me down.

I was really interested what the opposition fans thought and on the ‘Ull forum one of their posters wrote “Fantastic support from them btw. Loudest I have heard all season.”

At about 5.30 I fell asleep for about an hour - I think this week has mentally exhausted me. I need to focus on cricket now.

Aug 18, 2021
Couple of you giving Bundu an 8 I thought until he went off he was on fire. I hope his injury is not to bad. Poor lad look in bits. Any news on him?

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
Couple of you giving Bundu an 8 I thought until he went off he was on fire. I hope his injury is not to bad. Poor lad look in bits. Any news on him?
Did anyone else think the injury was caused by a one arm push in the back that forced him off the pitch quicker than he expected. I was in the Demport and it was a way from me, but is how it seemed.

Reactions: TimHarris
Oct 20, 2015
I was a bit surprised that the Tigers lacked a little 'bite'. The biggest worry was that a technically gifted and capable side had everything to play for, trying to sneak into the playoffs.

But to me it looked like a mid-table side already laying their towels out under the sun loungers.

All that said, what a performance by little old Argyle. Outstanding.

All week I was despondent, thinking any combination of our squad would come up short against Hull. Hardie spent, Bundu an unreliable enigma and Waine just not up to Championship standard.

Problems at the back, too with a slow back line prone to sloppy passes.

So to see the Nancesnip randomizer pull out that starting XI - I was worried. What's Devine going to do to save our season? Does Phillips care enough to put his body on the line for Argyle? Surely we needed the skillful Forshaw to start?

Once again I bow to their greater knowledge.

I don't think I've seen Argyle press and harry a team like that all season! It totally wrong-footed Hull, they had no answer and were clearly not expecting it. Shout out to MW for doing more off-the-ball dirty work than I've seen before. He might not have been at his best but he contributed to an outstanding team performance.

A team led by the mighty Joe 90. I'd like to see a combined coaching/playing role for him next season - super-sub for when we need the X-factor against stubborn opposition. And away from HP, teaching some raw new recruits how to play Championship football.

That run from midfield to meet the Wright looping cross - it seemed he was running at light speed! A heroic moment never to be forgotten. +1 for the calls for a statue, what a player.

I was 100% expecting a Hull equaliser, hats off to Argyle for chasing a second and not sitting back.

So pleased for the team, management, staff and of course the Halletts. Yes there have been mistakes but to survive the first season in the Championship on a shoestring is an incredible achievement.

It's easy to forget the contributions of certain people to our survival. The loanees did their bit, maybe we wished for more but Devine, Phillips, Gyabi and of course Azaz played their part in getting 51 points on the board.

More than half those 51 points came under SS's stewardship. Yes we're all feeling sour about him defecting to Stoke, but he got us here and did a damn good job trying to keep us up.

Have a great summer, fellow sufferers! The journey continues in four months, when we'll all be arguing the new manager and new signings aren't good enough and our pre-seasons have been woeful. The long and winding road lies ahead!

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Joe Edwards put in his best performance in a green shirt. He has his limitations but nobody was stopping him yesterday. The desire and heart to win that header summed up his time at the club.

Callum Wright coming on having had 0 goal contributions all season and then putting in the cross that led to the goal to keep us up. You couldn’t write it!

Hull were surprisingly poor. I watched Carvalho run the show for Fulham away at QPR a couple years ago but he looked a shadow of the player I watched that day.

A huge relief. Lessons will have to be learned and I’m sure they will, but what a collective effort from everyone in the last few weeks. The players and staff getting us 10 points from 6, the fans selling out every week, everyone has done their bit.

Green Army.