If only League matches were just played on a Saturday | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

If only League matches were just played on a Saturday

Sep 6, 2006
warney":38cpcfbf said:
Balham_Green":38cpcfbf said:
Balham_Green":38cpcfbf said:
That is really bizarre! It's something that needs to be addressed next season. There's obviously a root cause and with all the stats and everything recorded these days someone must be able to put their finger on what's behind it,surely?

:facepalm: It's nonsense. We have lost on Saturday's too!! Luton and Grimsby being the best examples!

:roll:
I don't think it's nonsense - it the clear facts. No one's saying we haven't lost on Saturdays and equally no one's saying we have lost every weekday game but the facts are that we have the best record in the league for Saturday games and almost the worst for weekday ones. There must be a cause.

Its just coincidence! We haven't played that many games on Tuesday and just so happened to have not done very well. The fact we let in 2 goals to Orient in the last 5 minutes was due to it being a Tuesday was it?

I guess you don't understand the basis of statistics! You can pick a single occurrence to argue for anything!

The fact is from 8 weekday games we averaged less than a point a game. From 27 Saturday games we averaged over 2 points a game.
The weekday games are a small sample, so yes, perhaps 6 of the eight games we lost due to coincidence. But on the balance of probability it's likely there is more of a root cause.
Perhaps, for example, we have lower energy levels due to training methods or because from Saturday to Tuesday we usually have one less recovery day than from Tuesday to Saturday (which you could then argue is why we let in those two goals against Orient - because were we more tired!).

Anyway, it'd be interesting to extrapolate this to previous seasons to see if the pattern is repeated.

Only a fool is so easily swayed by statistics. And your explanations dont make any sense. Yes we have less recovery time . And the opposition don't!? If we hadn't lost TWICE 3.0 on Saturday I may be more inclined to accept it. There was nothing wrong with our 2nd half performance at Wycombe.

Balham_Green":23r8bmef said:
Only a fool is so easily swayed by statistics. And your explanations dont make any sense. Yes we have less recovery time . And the opposition don't!? If we hadn't lost TWICE 3.0 on Saturday I may be more inclined to accept it. There was nothing wrong with our 2nd half performance at Wycombe.

You don't get tired watching the ball sail over your head. :greensmile:

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Balham_Green":rkzgwpxa said:

I would say only a fool ignores statistics out of hand. Again, your quoting a single example! My "explanation" was just a "for instance" anyway - I'm not saying that's the cause, just postulating that something is. As you say, other teams are in the same boat - which is why it's curious that they all have smaller Saturday/weekday ratios than we do!

Anyway, you're obviously not going to be convinced by a sample of eight weekday games. If I've time I'll look at GoS for previous seasons and see if the pattern repeats itself.

Perhaps I shouldn't have married a statistician!

Apr 30, 2011
That is odd, there must be more to it than pure coincidence especially considering that we have played most of the form/higher placed teams on a Saturday (Pompey, Donny and Excretia). Adams strikes me as being meticulous in his approach to games so I'd be surprised if he hasn't recognised the possible relevance of those stats.

Sep 6, 2006
Penmaster":3q61gdp2 said:
That is odd, there must be more to it than pure coincidence especially considering that we have played most of the form/higher placed teams on a Saturday (Pompey, Donny and Excretia). Adams strikes me as being meticulous in his approach to games so I'd be surprised if he hasn't recognised the possible relevance of those stats.

And perhaps there lies the answer. We have played the higher teams on Saturdays who we normally do better against.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
warney":2mjaqa7v said:
Balham_Green":2mjaqa7v said:

I would say only a fool ignores statistics out of hand. Again, your quoting a single example! My "explanation" was just a "for instance" anyway - I'm not saying that's the cause, just postulating that something is. As you say, other teams are in the same boat - which is why it's curious that they all have smaller Saturday/weekday ratios than we do!

Anyway, you're obviously not going to be convinced by a sample of eight weekday games. If I've time I'll look at GoS for previous seasons and see if the pattern repeats itself.

Perhaps I shouldn't have married a statistician!

I had a spare 5 minutes.

Last season we had 12 Tuesday night games and they panned out like this:

League Home: Won 2, Drew 1, Lost 1.

League Away: Drew 1, Lost 2.

League Cup Home: Lost 1.

JPT Home: Won 1, Lost 1.

JPT Away: Won 1.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Balham_Green":3swqe41n said:
And perhaps there lies the answer. We have played the higher teams on Saturdays who we normally do better against.

Total rubbish - we beat Newport on a Saturday and they were down the bottom. So my single example proves your theory completely wrong ... ;)

Seriously, though, those results from last year look pretty much as one would expect (albeit towards the bottom of expectation) so perhaps we've been gradually getting worse on Tuesdays!

Keepitgreen":1oqzboy1 said:
Last season we had 12 Tuesday night games and they panned out like this:

League Home: Won 2, Drew 1, Lost 1.

League Away: Drew 1, Lost 2.

League Cup Home: Lost 1.

JPT Home: Won 1, Lost 1.

JPT Away: Won 1.

So home games played 7 won 3 drew 1 lost 3
Away Played 4 won 1 drew 1 lost 2
Total Played 11 won 4 drew 2 lost 5

Not great, but only a fool would believe those statistics anyway :greensmile:

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Only a fool is so easily swayed by statistics. And your explanations dont make any sense. Yes we have less recovery time . And the opposition don't!?

See that's what I don't understand, we need to be doing better on Tuesdays, we just don't seem up for it for Tuesday games?

D

Doncastervisitor

From an opposing fan's viewpoint I think it is just a coincidence.

What stats should be analysed next to make one team appear in some way better than another? Games played in the rain?

The only stat that matters is the full table, and unless I am reading it wrong, Plymouth are doing very well anyway..

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Doncastervisitor":qgx4xf8u said:
From an opposing fan's viewpoint I think it is just a coincidence.

What stats should be analysed next to make one team appear in some way better than another? Games played in the rain?

The only stat that matters is the full table, and unless I am reading it wrong, Plymouth are doing very well anyway..

We look down on Portsmouth because they are in Third Place:
we look up to you because you are in First Place;
we are Plymouth Argyle... we know our place!! ;)