Is Mellor our most important player? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Mellor our most important player?

Mar 23, 2008
xmastree":3ajt47gn said:
Thanks to Durrell Berry for declining his contract offer.
Funny one that, he turned us down and it worked out in our favour as we have a much better player and Berry has had to drop out of the league. Funny old game.

Aug 24, 2014
Buckingham
Without wishing to seem OTT, thought the 2nd and 3rd goals Mellor assisted were real class and reminiscent of the way Ger took apart Brazil in the WC, with the extra lay off pass in the area to someone in a better easier place to score. Love when any team oozes enough confidence to pass the ball into the net in a tight space when surrounded by defenders and Mellor today, and on other occasions this season, has been instrumental in that. Brilliant to watch Argyle do that on live TV.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Agree with all the above comments.

Structually, wing-backs are the most important player to a 3-5-2 system and Mellor at his best is pretty much the perfect wing-back. Quick enough to run up and down the line and good enough to read the game to know when he should and shouldn't do so. Great one on one defensively and technically very gifted going forward.

We have signed incredibly well this summer. Really starting to think this could be our year. Players such as O'Connor, Blizzard, Alessandra aren't even in our top 4/5 players but 2 years ago they'd all have been our stand out player by a clear, CLEAR distance.

I reckon it's starting to get that magic, feel good sensation of a promotion team when so, so many players are on good form.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
One more quick point:

Today is the first time that I have ever sincerely doubted whether Luke Young would improve us. Anybody who knows my views on Youngy and how highly I rate him as a player knows what a compliment that statement is to Blizzard/Cox.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Being a bit of a geek and watching yesterdays match again, O'connor really is the real deal, so so vital. Anybody able to remind me when he is here till?

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
The thing about Mellor, as I texted after the second goal to my father-in-law who is a Norwich fan and was watching the game on TV, is that he NEVER wastes the ball when he is in the penalty area. He has this knock of spurning the chance to shoot, then holding the ball just that little bit longer than it looks like he should do, before making a simple pass to a team-mate to score. Moments later, he did it again... and he's done it several times earlier in the season too. It's a fantastic knack to have. I thought he looked leggy in the second half and was surprised he wasn't taken off given that he hadn't trained all week.

Those lauding are absolutely spot on too. Brilliant player that we simply have to sign in January somehow.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
For me our most important "player" doesn`t even take to the park, John Sheridan has persisted with his own way of doing things and patiently waited until he got the players he wanted. No knee jerk reactions to criticism for he is most definitely his own man and has fashioned the team capable of the all out attacking football we were promised, the bonus is that he also built the meanest defence around. For me the fact that what he knew Dominick Blizzard was capable of is now readily apparent. No Bobby Reid but I felt the midfield was more assured than ever with the pace coming from out wide. A credit to John Sheridan and also to James Brent for facilitating this team and manager. The crowd wasn`t bad yesterday either, credit to the Demport.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Its true its a team game so everyone is allowing our play to develop in a certain way and the system is currently working extremely well.

Luke looks solid;
Centre backs look commanding but also composed on the ball;
That is aided by O'Connors movement and desire to get the ball from them (saves the long ball of old!);
The midfield two in front of him and the 2 wing backs provide plenty of options. The wing-backs picking up good positions where they are unmarked by the opposition or creating 2-on-1 situations;
The front two running the channels and ability to hold up play and link together (and being able to find the net when required).

I don't think one element of this is necessarily more important than the other, take one of those elements away and we revert to aimless, hoofball again.

Hats off to Sheridan and his coaching staff for getting the 3-5-2 to work so effectively.

G

Greenskin

GreenSam":1lnzhmv9 said:
One more quick point:

Today is the first time that I have ever sincerely doubted whether Luke Young would improve us. Anybody who knows my views on Youngy and how highly I rate him as a player knows what a compliment that statement is to Blizzard/Cox.

I was musing quietly to myself the other day about Yeovil fans and whether they are reacting in the same way about Reuben Reid as a fair section of our support is about Luke Young.Looking at their league position,on the face of it Johnson could well have dropped a right bollock by letting Reid go.For sure they were heading for the CCC when RR originally came to Argyle but you wonder if it would have been worth Johnson at least having a look at Reid post relegation especially as he had done pretty well down here.Maybe there was a clash of personalities involved,whatever it was sure worked in Argyle's favour.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
The Doctor":1dp3z5p2 said:
The thing about Mellor, as I texted after the second goal to my father-in-law who is a Norwich fan and was watching the game on TV, is that he NEVER wastes the ball when he is in the penalty area. He has this knock of spurning the chance to shoot, then holding the ball just that little bit longer than it looks like he should do, before making a simple pass to a team-mate to score. Moments later, he did it again... and he's done it several times earlier in the season too. It's a fantastic knack to have. I thought he looked leggy in the second half and was surprised he wasn't taken off given that he hadn't trained all week.

Those lauding are absolutely spot on too. Brilliant player that we simply have to sign in January somehow.

Mellor is already our player Doc :thumbs:

I agree though it's a brilliant ability to have especially as I can't imagine there have been many worse culprits of wasting goalscoring opportunities than us over recent years. I'm not sure if it was lack of confidence or a lack of ideas but in recent years we have had too many "daudlers" on the ball when it comes to getting into the area, that combined with both a lack of any proper goalscorers as well as an inability to get the ball into the box very often in the first place and it was no wonder we've had so many problems scoring over the last 5 years.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
gaspargomez":2ibrtupg said:
Reid is most important player. Argyle need to further extend his contract to put off other clubs.

IMHO he is probably out most marketable asset (in the supporters eyes) because he is scoring goals, but not necessarily the most important. Two different spectrums in my eyes. I imagine scouts are taking note of a fair few of our other players following our recent run.

Jul 6, 2011
It speaks a lot when you consider some of the defensive slips against Coventry. I would say he is a big player for us, especially those foreward runs