James Brent at PACSA Meeting 25th September | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

James Brent at PACSA Meeting 25th September

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Argyle received a fair value for the player with substantial add ons. A player that didnt ever want to play for the club again and who was in the last year of his contract. The fee received for him was a good one in the circumstances even without the add ons. The trouble with fans is that they always place a higher value on a player than what they're worth.

You also need to read Green Rhinos comments above about who was consulted over the sale.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
spowell92":1ycpjbks said:
Well then, that's that. Argyle should go and offer £200 for Di Maria, once that's turned down we'll slowly increase our offers until we reach a maximum of £1000. They'll of course be delighted at this point that they've managed to barter the best deal from us and will accept, providing we chuck in a couple of extras. I'll give 'em my last Rolo to really sweeten the deal. It'll be the real morale booster United fans need as they see the fantastic job the board did with negotiations and securing every penny from us. That's how this works, right? Right? :crazy:

Let me just quote this now in case you re-read this beauty and come to your senses and delete it. The sheer aggression, the complete rubbishing of people's opinions, the ability to turn a sensible balanced debate into nothing more than a slanging match, bravo Sam.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Ollieargyle9":w5y8qwla said:
spowell92":w5y8qwla said:
Well then, that's that. Argyle should go and offer £200 for Di Maria, once that's turned down we'll slowly increase our offers until we reach a maximum of £1000. They'll of course be delighted at this point that they've managed to barter the best deal from us and will accept, providing we chuck in a couple of extras. I'll give 'em my last Rolo to really sweeten the deal. It'll be the real morale booster United fans need as they see the fantastic job the board did with negotiations and securing every penny from us. That's how this works, right? Right? :crazy:

Let me just quote this now in case you re-read this beauty and come to your senses and delete it. The sheer aggression, the complete rubbishing of people's opinions, the ability to turn a sensible balanced debate into nothing more than a slanging match, bravo Sam.

It's tongue in cheek Ollie, but there's no aggression I can assure you. Sorry if you read it that way. I'm not rubbishing anyone's opinion (except for yours on the idea that I'm rubbishing others' ;) ). Its just a rather frivolous response to the idea that the value of Hourihane is what we received (because that's what Barnsley paid) and JJ's earlier suggestion that I'm totally naive to the way business in football works. And I won't disagree with JJ because I'm not privvy to the ins and outs of the inner footballing circle, but I do still stand by the fact we didn't do very well on this deal at all. It's half of Sheridan's valuation, and he's a man I respect more than any to take such a valuation from - so my opinion on the matter is generally based around his suggestion that Conor went for too little to the sum of 200k at the very least. I went to the extreme end of ridiculous for my metaphor, but I wouldn't say I turned anything into a slanging match Ollie. :lol:

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
So Sam, if JS said to JB that £200k was a fair price, you'd accept that?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
monkeywrench":2x4515bl said:
So Sam, if JS said to JB that £200k was a fair price, you'd accept that?

Yes. I'm guessing that in Sheridan's valuation he has to consider the cost of replacing the player sold, so if he felt that he could do that with the 80k received from 200k then yeah fine.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Not sure how your steaks at the butcher's analogy can be used either Sam. All being well and a fair wind blowing with several clubs interested Sheridan might have wistfully thought 400,000 could be achieved. In the real world with one offer in which had been increased on several occasions from the opening 50,000 he might well have accepted that 200,000 with add ons was the best we could get at the time. Reading between the lines knowing the player was set on leaving, the fact that only one club was in for him and the fact that add ons were also included I am inclined for once to think the board did play hard ball on this particular transfer and secure a decent deal for the club. As long as there is no Gosling future scenario there is every chance we could achieve or even exceed 400,000 from the deal. It takes two sides in negotiations like this and your hoped for ending would I feel have seen one side only having it all there own way and unfortunately it rarely works like that. Barnsley opened up with 50,000 knowing they would have to pay more. Sheridan and the board for all you know quoted 400,000 for openers. How often do you read in the papers a manager saying about a player he's worth so much or they will have to be talking so much to sign him and then the deal is done at a lower figure?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
spowell92":jbvc5z2q said:
Ollieargyle9":jbvc5z2q said:
spowell92":jbvc5z2q said:

It's tongue in cheek Ollie, but there's no aggression I can assure you. Sorry if you read it that way. I'm not rubbishing anyone's opinion (except for yours on the idea that I'm rubbishing others' ;) ). Its just a rather frivolous response to the idea that the value of Hourihane is what we received (because that's what Barnsley paid) and JJ's earlier suggestion that I'm totally naive to the way business in football works. And I won't disagree with JJ because I'm not privvy to the ins and outs of the inner footballing circle, but I do still stand by the fact we didn't do very well on this deal at all. It's half of Sheridan's valuation, and he's a man I respect more than any to take such a valuation from - so my opinion on the matter is generally based around his suggestion that Conor went for too little to the sum of 200k at the very least. I went to the extreme end of ridiculous for my metaphor, but I wouldn't say I turned anything into a slanging match Ollie. :lol:

first-law-of-holes.jpg

http://prawojazdywuk.com/wp-content/upl ... -holes.jpg

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
That's true JJ, and I'm hopeful that the add-ons reward handsomely - but like I said earlier I'm less excited by Brent's idea of "significant". Perhaps Hourihane should have been publicly transfer listed and advertised his availability? Shez gets on the blower to another club he has connections with, "Alright mate, Barnsley are after my skipper for 200k. He's a tremendous player already at 23 and developing at a rapid pace. I honestly don't want to see him gone for less than 400-500k, you won't want him playing against you next season I think you should come in for him". Worst that happens is they don't take his recommendation and we sell him to Barnsley for 200k. Maybe that did happen, but I see no suggestion of it. Instead didn't we play the game with the press that he wasn't for sale, presumably to appease fan concern, and thus publicly made it clear that Conor wasn't available - while in fact he was.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Oh come on Sam every player at every club is available if a satisfactory deal can be done, especially when said player wants to go. Don't you think once Barnsley's interest was announced that maybe other clubs were alerted or other clubs who had been monitoring his progress would have come in if they felt he was worth 400K and might be sold for half that? Every club knows who's who at virtually every other club with their scouting networks and contacts. Maybe when you finish your degree you could set up as a broker for clubs selling players?

Dec 3, 2005
So the significance of JB saying that Plymouth does NOT need three Multi-Plexes and the fact that the Bretonside plans include a Multi-Plex and the added comment from JB that the HHP DEPENDS on the Multi-Plex being built, because it IS the Cinema that drives the development finance!!

This is of NO concern to anyone?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
JJ, I agree with your broad point, but our opinion parts ways at the idea that 200k with 80k received by Plymouth Argyle Football Club is a satisfactory deal. And that's the last I'll say on the matter, which I'm sure will be welcomed greatly as I'm aware I hold a minority opinion on the matter on this site.

DJG, I personally don't see it as particularly alarming. It only alludes further to the already guessed idea that HHP is a dead duck. The imminent statement and update regarding the payment of the balloon payment is the more pressing issue in my opinion.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
From being at the meeting last night I can tell you that JB came across as very passionate about the club. Those that think he's just in it for the money are plainly wrong.

I'm confident that we'll get a new stand (possibly with improvements) and satisfy the balloon payment. I don't think the new stand is dependent on the HHP development.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
spowell92":183mhju6 said:
JJ, I agree with your broad point, but our opinion parts ways at the idea that 200k with 80k received by Plymouth Argyle Football Club is a satisfactory deal. And that's the last I'll say on the matter, which I'm sure will be welcomed greatly as I'm aware I hold a minority opinion on the matter on this site.

DJG, I personally don't see it as particularly alarming. It only alludes further to the already guessed idea that HHP is a dead duck. The imminent statement and update regarding the payment of the balloon payment is the more pressing issue in my opinion.

PAFC received 200K Sam not 80K. What they did with it is irrelevant to your argument.

Aug 15, 2008
We are being myopic in picking apart the Connor deal - there are bigger issues that need addressing.

New Stand , The Fate of HHP, Investment, PCC involvement.