Johnny Hore - Legend. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Johnny Hore - Legend.

Nov 23, 2015
cheshiregreen":36scoaoe said:
HG

Some great memories there of Johnny Hore.

Not checked the detail but my memory is that Johnny played right back under Waiters in the old 2nd Division and just could not live with Willie Johnston at the Hawthorns. Yes, the Willie Johnston later sent home by Scotland from a World Cup for taking performance enhancing drugs.

I didnt think Johnny started for us again after that afternoon but records show he had one more game. Johnston was lightening fast that day and Johnny just couldn't keep up as the Scottish winger flew past him.

Yes, I think you are quite correct CG - I was actually at the Hawthorns for that game and do remember Willie Johnston giving Johnny a torrid time - Like you, I could not recall him starting a match after that but the records do indeed show he played one more time, the following Tuesday home to Blackburn, a match that resulted in a 2-2 draw.

I think it might have been a young lad called Peter Darke who replaced him wearing the No 2 shirt - a player who only lasted a couple of seasons with the club, and I remember him for his fantastic goal against high flying Southampton on Good Friday 1976 at Home Park in front of over 25,000 fans. - His goal was the only one of the game and helped secure Argyle's second division place for another season. A lot of people thought the goal a fluke - whether or not it was meant to be a shot it simply flew into the net.

Historic Green":24oogyer said:
Ah yes - John Hore played his first game for Argyle in the mid-sixties, shortly after signing professional terms after a 2 year apprenticeship.

I used to remember when I was a young boy ( besides seeing him play ) he used to scoot through my village in a sports car, hood down. ( He was born just a few miles from where I live, in the heart of China Clay Country. I believe he had a girlfriend at St Columb Road.)

The interesting thing about him was that he was a survivor, perhaps not the best gifted player technically, he always gave 100%, and did his job competently if not spectacularly - Had a terrific shot, did not score many goals but when they did go in they were always pile drivers - I remember one occasion at home to Watford he received the ball way outside the area and shot and it simply flew in - the goalie looked that surprised, he never hardly had time to see it (Andy Rankin - understudy 'keeper to Gordon West at Everton for several years).

A loyal servant to Argyle, he had his testimonial against Liverpool in 1975, and was held in such high regard that they brought their strongest squad down, attracting a big crowd.

He made his Argyle debut on the 20th April 1965 in a 3-1 away defeat to to Northampton. He survived to see many Managers come and go, and was finally sold to Exeter under the realm of Tony Waiter's in late 1975 - Hore, under Waiter's, was ruthlessly omitted from the side shortly after a 3-2 home defeat against Bolton on Oct.11th 1975 - He had been given the run around by a very speedy, skilful, promising young winger - His name ? Peter Reid !! Just 2 more games for Argyle was all he played, with a home game against Blackburn being his final appearance.

Waiter's, never one to shirk from making a difficult decision, decided that the extra pace and guile of many 2nd Division players were to good for Johnny, so he sold him to Exeter, and at the age of 28 his Argyle career was over after more than 12 years with the club, although, as we know, he was to return as Manager in 1983 and led the club on that famous cup run to the Semi-Final.

Historicgreen. I think the Bolton winger was peter thompson(ex liverpool) but peter reid did
play as well and both tormented us that day with their dribbling and reid scored a superb
individual goal as well if my memory serves me correct. Bolton had a really good team
that season and i believe were promoted.
The peter darke southampton goal was an attempted cross from way out on the flank right in
front of me and my dad standing on the old spion kop. Instead of instep it was more toe end
and a garrincha styled banana followed over the head of their keeper. As peter darke was
technically nowhere near a brasilian world cup winger standard then i think that would confirm
that it was a fluke.

Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
Could the winger have been former Welsh international Leighton James? I do remember seeing him play left wing at Home Park - he would have been 30+ by then - and totally taking Argyle's right back apart. It was one of the best wing displays I've ever seen at Home Park. Was it Johnny Hore that was marking him that day? Anybody else remember that day? It would have been mid- 1970's?

mercedes":3jko8104 said:
Could the winger have been former Welsh international Leighton James? I do remember seeing him play left wing at Home Park - he would have been 30+ by then - and totally taking Argyle's right back apart. It was one of the best wing displays I've ever seen at Home Park. Was it Johnny Hore that was marking him that day? Anybody else remember that day? It would have been mid- 1970's?

I cannot remember leighton james at HP at all mercedes. He was at burnley
wasnt he? Wasnt he also a part of toshacks swansea that came up through the
leagues and then did well in the first. Maybe it was for for Swansea in the 80s?
Burnley were in the old first division when we were promoted under waiters.
The same the following season. I remember waiters bringing in doug collins from them.
It definately was peter thompson that day against bolton as he was doing
everything that he used to do for liverpool. Blistering pace and the
ability to glide past defenders on the outside. He was 30+ at the time but
class is permanent. I think he played a few for england as well.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Fat_green_belly":2h4xb9cf said:
mercedes":2h4xb9cf said:

I cannot remember leighton james at HP at all mercedes. He was at burnley
wasnt he? Wasnt he also a part of toshacks swansea that came up through the
leagues and then did well in the first. Maybe it was for for Swansea in the 80s?
Burnley were in the old first division when we were promoted under waiters.
The same the following season. I remember waiters bringing in doug collins from them.
It definitely was peter thompson that day against bolton as he was doing
everything that he used to do for liverpool. Blistering pace and the
ability to glide past defenders on the outside. He was 30+ at the time but
class is permanent. I think he played a few for england as well.
Fgb - I was surprised to see that Leighton James did play at HP but long after John Hore stopped playing and after his spell as our manager. It was on 14 Sep 85 and he was playing for Newport Co with Torpoint lad Roy Carter and former Argyle man Gordon Staniforth. Tony Pulis was also in the Newport side and Darren Peacock made his Football League debut when he came on as sub that day.
For mercedes - Leighton James was born on 16 Feb 1953 so mid 70s he would still have been 22. He was 17 when he first played for Burnley.

Nov 23, 2015
From memory I think Leighton James might also have played at Home Park in a pre-season friendly v Burnley in Aug.1975 - I even think he might have scored the Burnley winning goal ( match finished 1-0 to Burnley ).

I seem to remember Harley Lawer's headline in the next days Independent - "One slip Kibosh" ( gives Burnley victory ).

It would be interesting if anyone else could remember this game to confirm my memory was right ?

Since it has been mentioned, I remember now that it was indeed Peter Thompson who played for Bolton on the wing in their 1975/76 Home Park Victory.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Historic Green":12uamsqk said:
From memory I think Leighton James might also have played at Home Park in a pre-season friendly v Burnley in Aug.1975 - I even think he might have scored the Burnley winning goal ( match finished 1-0 to Burnley ).

I seem to remember Harley Lawer's headline in the next days Independent - "One slip Kibosh" ( gives Burnley victory ).

It would be interesting if anyone else could remember this game to confirm my memory was right ?

Since it has been mentioned, I remember now that it was indeed Peter Thompson who played for Bolton on the wing in their 1975/76 Home Park Victory.
I don't take a great deal of interest in friendlies but the marvellous Greensonscreen do. They record a 1-0 win for Burnley on 02 Aug 1975, in front of 7,511. There are no further details.