Lameiras (to Oldham or Bradford?) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lameiras (to Oldham or Bradford?)

Aug 5, 2016
He's a quality player, but not a Derek Adams player.

He is too good to benchwarm and play 20 minutes of football a month.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he went elsewhere in League One or League Two and was a successful fans favourite player.

As others have said, when it seemed certain that Carey was off Adams got a replacement in. Then Carey stayed. Then Adams changed formation to 4-3-3 negating the requirement for an attacking midfielder. Lameiras then finds himself as understudy to the best player at the club, and without a position to fight for, as he doesn't have the core strength for a central position or the pace for a wide role.

Hopefully he impresses elsewhere under a manager who prioritises technical ability and vision.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
So that's two years in a row the big signing everyone was most excited about, potentially leaves in January.

Goodwillie and Lameiras.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Biggs":2pxaz316 said:
So that's two years in a row the big signing everyone was most excited about, potentially leaves in January.

Goodwillie and Lameiras.

But we will not waste a whole season's salary, should he head North. It will go towards somebody else coming in, who scores goals. There is always a positive spin in these situations

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Quintrell_Green":1uks66be said:
Biggs":1uks66be said:

Goodwillie and Lameiras.

But we will not waste a whole season's salary, should he head North. It will go towards somebody else coming in, who scores goals. There is always a positive spin in these situations

Absolutely, just an interesting parallel. Just shows not to be too excited or underwhelmed at a signing before they play.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Biggs":3cmewk5c said:

Goodwillie and Lameiras.

Nope, I was far from excited about signing a player released from relegated Coventry City.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Perhaps when he signed, but after pre-season he was the overwhelming winner of a Herald poll on the most exciting summer signing.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Biggs":2epblu0n said:
Perhaps when he signed, but after pre-season he was the overwhelming winner of a Herald poll on the most exciting summer signing.

Fair enough comment.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Biggs":1cfx9p1z said:

Goodwillie and Lameiras.

I don't recall feeling that way about Lamerias on his arrival.
For sure, he has some technical ability in his locker, but this is no good if he doesn't come up to scratch in other departments of his game.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The side on bicycle kick he ‘scored’ (it was cancelled out by the ref) v Parkway excited all of us lucky enough to see it.

Hope he gets a move to help the lad with his career.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Emu":1y7av6oy said:
Biggs":1y7av6oy said:

Goodwillie and Lameiras.

I don't recall feeling that way about Lamerias on his arrival.
For sure, he has some technical ability in his locker, but this is no good if he doesn't come up to scratch in other departments of his game.
Yeah….but…… at this level all players will have a significant flaws ……. but if a player is outstanding in one area then really good management means exploiting that aspect whilst somehow covering the flaws or at least improving them enough to make the pros outweigh the cons. We seem to do OK with players like Bradley or Songo at the other end of the spectrum – technically limited & slow but make up for it in competitiveness, positioning & team work. It’s harder with someone like Lameiras – but I sense he is a rare talent; just watching him warm up sometimes you can see that (we’ve probably seen more of him warming up than actually playing). If another manager can uncork the genie we could be kicking ourselves – by the way I’m not having a pop at DA – he has done a remarkable job in improving the likes of Bradley, Songo, ATS, Oscar - sadly not Lameiras so it seems.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":3t1m2bf0 said:
He's a quality player, but not a Derek Adams player.

He is too good to benchwarm and play 20 minutes of football a month.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he went elsewhere in League One or League Two and was a successful fans favourite player.

As others have said, when it seemed certain that Carey was off Adams got a replacement in. Then Carey stayed. Then Adams changed formation to 4-3-3 negating the requirement for an attacking midfielder. Lameiras then finds himself as understudy to the best player at the club, and without a position to fight for, as he doesn't have the core strength for a central position or the pace for a wide role.

Hopefully he impresses elsewhere under a manager who prioritises technical ability and vision.

Pretty much agree with all of this.
Good luck to him wherever he plays from January onwards, apart from against us.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
X Isle":apfqky0n said:
Only ever signed as a failsafe if Carey didn't re-sign.

Thankfully he did.

Shame for the lad that his abilities can't be shoehorned into DA's formation with Carey in there, but good for us he comes off the payroll. Bodes well that Carey is clearly stayingif his understudy is moving on :wink:

Weren`t we told that Rafferty was sold to enable us to hold onto Mariner?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
We were indeed. I can remember hearing that on Plymouth Sound.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
I feel like he would have been a good a useful luxury player to have last season, but not who you need in a relegation scrap.