League 1 - 22/23 Financial Data | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

League 1 - 22/23 Financial Data

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
A derby match is played by clubs in the same town or city. Not nearly 50 miles away. It's not a derby.
If you look at most definitions of a football derby it will say teams from the same city or geographical area. I think a game between two teams from the same county, the only two league clubs, even 46 miles apart is well qualified to be classed as a derby and I'm sure the overwhelming majority of Argyle and Exeter fans or indeed football fans generally would concur.
It is very different to the situation in Lancashire for instance where a dozen or more teams would be within that sort of distance. Burnley would consider Blackburn their big local derby, Preston and Blackpool likewise but not every opponent within 46 miles.

Last edited:

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth
If you look at most definitions of a football derby it will say teams from the same city or geographical area. I think a game between two teams from the same county, the only two league clubs, even 46 miles apart is well qualified to be classed as a derby and I'm sure the overwhelming majority of Argyle and Exeter fans or indeed football fans generally would concur.
It is very different to the situation in Lancashire for instance where a dozen or more teams would be within that sort of distance. Burnley would consider Blackburn their big local derby, Preston and Blackpool likewise but not every opponent within 46 miles.
Nah, not buying it. Derbies are about close proximity within a city or town. Look at Celtic/Rangers, Liverpool/Everton, Boca/River, Inter/Milan etc - these are derbies. Having a rivalry with someone at the other end of a county isn't the same. It doesn't have that close proximity charge or edge to it. So, it will always be a no from me, and I will always think it's a bit lame. I treat an Exeter game in the same way I would any other team in the country.

Next you'll be telling me the match with Portsmouth is a "dockyards" derby... :ROFLMAO:

Jan 6, 2004
I think the Exeter thing is generational. Those over 40 or so grew up with Argyle nearly always being at least a division above Exeter and still see them just as a far smaller neighbour, like Torquay, rather than a fierce derby rival. I always found it a bit cringe-worthy when everyone got so worked up about it in the last 15 years or so.

Reactions: Green as Grass

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Nah, not buying it. Derbies are about close proximity within a city or town. Look at Celtic/Rangers, Liverpool/Everton, Boca/River, Inter/Milan etc - these are derbies. Having a rivalry with someone at the other end of a county isn't the same. It doesn't have that close proximity charge or edge to it. So, it will always be a no from me, and I will always think it's a bit lame. I treat an Exeter game in the same way I would any other team in the country.

Next you'll be telling me the match with Portsmouth is a "dockyards" derby... :ROFLMAO:
No but I'm sure Pompey see their rivalry with Saints as a derby. Likewise try telling Newcastle and Sunderland fans they no longer have a local derby, likewise Cardiff/Swansea, Watford/Luton, WBA/Wolves, Blackburn/Burnley, Preston/Blackpool, Ipswich/Norwich, Derby/Forest etc.
There is every bit as much of an edge to a Man United v Liverpool game 32 miles apart as for a Manchester derby 4 miles apart but I wouldn't class that as a local derby. It's all relative and with only a handful of league clubs in the South West and major towns spread out over a much wider area, Exeter for me is our local derby. You can interpret it how you choose as is your right but we clearly see it differently.

Reactions: ChepstowGreen