Let's fill up Home Park Vs Pompey !!! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Let's fill up Home Park Vs Pompey !!!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I have never understood the complaint by season ticket holders at individual match price reductions. Providing that a season ticket is cheaper than the aggregate price of attending all games then the ST will still hold the best value to the supporter.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
If there will be any offers on matches they should be aimed at the less appealing double header of York City and Dagenham, especially with Christmas just around the corner. Both matches for £25 - £30?

I get the razzmatazz surrounding the Pompey game and the club should really promote it but in purely financial terms the £30,000 (£15,000?) received from Sky will help off-set some missing fans.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Lundan Cabbie":1tyuhi41 said:
I have never understood the complaint by season ticket holders at individual match price reductions. Providing that a season ticket is cheaper than the aggregate price of attending all games then the ST will still hold the best value to the supporter.

I have always wondered whether it is actually true that season ticket holders complain about price deals to get bigger crowds for individual games. Which season ticket holders complain? How many? where do they complain?

I think this is all a bit of a myth. As LC points out, a season ticket is still significantly cheaper than pay on the day tickets for a whole season and, as GC indicates, the only attempt to survey fans on this provides scant evidence of any widespread dissatisfaction about special pricing (although JL's survey wasn't only completed by season ticket holders and so it doesn't address this specific point).

T

Tyhee_Slim

The Doctor":1wx3gi4k said:
Lundan Cabbie":1wx3gi4k said:

I have always wondered whether it is actually true that season ticket holders complain about price deals to get bigger crowds for individual games. Which season ticket holders complain? How many? where do they complain?

I think this is all a bit of a myth. As LC points out, a season ticket is still significantly cheaper than pay on the day tickets for a whole season and, as GC indicates, the only attempt to survey fans on this provides scant evidence of any widespread dissatisfaction about special pricing (although JL's survey wasn't only completed by season ticket holders and so it doesn't address this specific point).

I've seen the odd one or two complaints from season ticket holders about this topic on here over the years, but not many, and they're usually just people whingeing because they feel they're not getting something that someone else is. Understandable in some ways, as these people do help the club out by paying up front, but I'm sure they see it more as a way of saving money - probably take flasks to the game with them as well.

That said, I do think that Argyle really should do more in the way of promotions. No matter how you dress it up, and no matter how well the team is doing right now, it's still pretty poor entertainment on offer at this level, people don't have much disposable income (despite IJN reckoning that they're all out on the town spending money like water), and Christmas is rapidly approaching. A couple of adverse results in the next two or three games and that run of results in October will be forgotten. Get the offers on the table NOW, get the tickets on sale, strike while the iron's hot.

When we were in the Championship I kept a bit of an eye on my local teams at that level - Nottm Forest, Leicester and Derby. All these clubs pull in far bigger crowds than us (the reasons for that are not what is under discussion here) but all of them, when there was any noticeable decline in interest were really quick to offer deals, concessions and the like. Their crowds, therefore, never dropped like ours did, even when they were doing really badly (and don't forget that Forest and Leicester were both relegated while we were up there). At the same time, we were bemoaning the drop in attendances but, rather than offer inducements, the board slated the support and the local population very publicly and then decided to sell half the team. These are the things the club needs to learn from. The pricing for the FA Cup game is a step in the right direction, but there has to be more than that and we must stop being so short sighted, the future support is out there, but needs to be welcomed into the fold.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Tyhee_Slim":anfbmniv said:
That said, I do think that Argyle really should do more in the way of promotions. No matter how you dress it up, and no matter how well the team is doing right now, it's still pretty poor entertainment on offer at this level, people don't have much disposable income (despite IJN reckoning that they're all out on the town spending money like water), and Christmas is rapidly approaching. A couple of adverse results in the next two or three games and that run of results in October will be forgotten. Get the offers on the table NOW, get the tickets on sale, strike while the iron's hot.

Well someone's out on the town every weekend in the Barbican Slim, unless my eyes are deceiving me, and I would have thought that some (I never said 'all' but I assume you're using artistic licence here, as is your way) of the people who are out on the pi$$ are the sort to attend Argyle when we're doing well, and yet the excuse if the old 'disposable income' diatribe, when what is really meant is they have better things to spend their money on, which I get, but it is only an excuse really isn't it?

As for 'poor entertainment at this level', perhaps once again you're going by what you watch on TV, as I see some very young fit blokes on both sides attempting to play half decent football for relative small amounts of money compared to the EPL or whatever it is called these days.

I agree about the offers though, but I fear that the Sky converted armchair fans (who funnily enough say things like "it's still pretty poor entertainment on offer at this level") won't attend until we're ten points clear at the top OR we're winning all of our games by at least 3 clear goals.

Hope I'm wrong but fear I'm not.

If we pull Man Utd out of the hat in the 3rd round (assuming we reach that far) the Christmas, disposable incomes and I have three kids to feed excuses suddenly fall quiet.

It's the way it's been for many years sadly, not so much 'Same old Argo' more like 'Same old Argo fans' and the word 'fans' is used as and when it gets 'sexy'.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Lundan Cabbie":18fy0ybv said:

Completely agree I buy a season ticket and that's it, guarantee to sit with friends have a moan :silent: and presently enjoying the football.

C

Cobi Budge.

It's ok, the club will start advertising the game the day before just like we did for the exeter match :facepalm:

I'm surprised some people still expect our media department to do something useful, I gave up a long time ago.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Tyhee_Slim":xd1uaqma said:
The Doctor":xd1uaqma said:
Lundan Cabbie":xd1uaqma said:

I've seen the odd one or two complaints from season ticket holders about this topic on here over the years, but not many, and they're usually just people whingeing because they feel they're not getting something that someone else is. Understandable in some ways, as these people do help the club out by paying up front, but I'm sure they see it more as a way of saving money - probably take flasks to the game with them as well.

When we were in the Championship I kept a bit of an eye on my local teams at that level - Nottm Forest, Leicester and Derby. All these clubs pull in far bigger crowds than us (the reasons for that are not what is under discussion here) but all of them, when there was any noticeable decline in interest were really quick to offer deals, concessions and the like. Their crowds, therefore, never dropped like ours did, even when they were doing really badly (and don't forget that Forest and Leicester were both relegated while we were up there). At the same time, we were bemoaning the drop in attendances but, rather than offer inducements, the board slated the support and the local population very publicly and then decided to sell half the team. These are the things the club needs to learn from. The pricing for the FA Cup game is a step in the right direction, but there has to be more than that and we must stop being so short sighted, the future support is out there, but needs to be welcomed into the fold.

Slim, regarding the bit in red, when was your last game at Home Park? Because the general consensus amongst fans and on the Brief Synopsis thread was that the first half against Cheltenham was the best football played by Argyle for several years.

Granted the early games of the this season were dull, possibly because so many new players were gelling into Sheridan's ideas, however now the team has settled they are playing some entertaining football mixed with resolve and determination, so to say "still pretty poor entertainment" is wide of the mark.

Jul 1, 2006
Get some consistency - good entertaining football on the pitch at Home Park & the crowds will increase. It's the 'let-down' yet again factor that's often related to numbers going through the turnstiles and Argyle's a club with thousands of fans who live away from Plymouth / Cornwall.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":37dklifo said:
It's ok, the club will start advertising the game the day before just like we did for the exeter match :facepalm:

I'm surprised some people still expect our media department to do something useful, I gave up a long time ago.

You do have a point. As a neutral living and working in Plymouth I am only aware of the cheaper tickets for the cup tie courtesy of PASOTI.

T

Tyhee_Slim

For postey and IJN who've both questioned my view/opinion that the entertainment on offer is not that great. Ok, I'll own up to not having been to too many games of late but I have to say that I honestly can't remember the last time I watched Argyle and saw anything other than a load of journeyman footballers more or less, Argyle teams thst could hardly string two passes together etc. Sorry, but it's rubbish. Postey tries to paper over this by saying that 'the first half against Cheltenham saw the best football played by Argyle for several years'. Great - so we played some good football for one half of our last game, and what does that say about the 'several years' in between.

As for the disposable income argument and the choices people make, I suggest you wake up and smell the coffee IJN. We all know how successful your life has been - well whoopdy-bleddy-doo, I'm sure you've worked very hard for it, fair play to you and all that - but, like a lot of successful people you fall into the trap of failing to understand why everyone can't be like it (there are many, but that's not the issue here) and then feel you have the right to tell them how to spend their money. Yes, if Argyle were on the promotion trail seriously, or drew a big club in the cup they'd find a way, but it's ALWAYS been like that - not just in Plymouth but at every lower division club. It's simple supply and demand innit, asva successful man like you ought to realise. You say yourself that you see blokes 'attempting to play half decent football' at Argyle, so by your own admission the football is 'half decent' at best, and that's assuming that their 'attempts' are successful.

Sorry, but it's all very well getting all high and mighty with your 'I was there when we were ***t' badges and the like - I've got one by the way, although I must admit the definition of ***t has had to be re-evaluated, i never thought things would get as bad as they would - and playing the old, smug, superfan card. I've said it before, and I mean it still, if I lived down there I would still be a season ticket holder, but I don't so I'm not, and as time has moved on I've felt less inclination to spend hours of my valuable time and (usually) seventy or eighty quid minimum to traipse around the country just to end up sitting with, mainly, a bunch of numpties watching crap football. Now, I've been a fan for years, do if I feel like that, how do you think the average, uncommitted punter feels.

Once again, don't judge everyone by your own standards (no matter how high they think they are). You've got Argyle in your heart and soul. I used to think I did, but I'm not so sure anymore - it still means a lot, there's no other club or team I care about (apart from in a negative way like Man Utd and England), and yes I'm still an 'armchair' fan inasmuch as I'm still 'tuned in' every Saturday or Tuesday - but I just don't get the same buzz out of it anymore. I always thought of myself as 'loyal' until fairly recently, but sensed that the club was no longer being particularly loyal or fair with the support, and I became fairly rapidly disenchanted. Because of this, I now feel able to understand why people can pick snd choose their matches, or are more likely to wait until the team is doing well, and I will, if and when I start attending games again, be quite happy to be called a part-timer or glory hunter by some self righteous mofo who has nothing else to do with their spare time. I believe I paid my dues years ago and, as it happens, I DO have to weigh up the financial costs these days and at the moment going to Argyle would feel like an extravagance.

So, yes I think Argyle should make the cost of attending games more attractive as I'm sure it would sway enough people to make it worthwhile.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
That posts says everything Slim. :clap:

Read what I say and try not to simply write what you seem to want to get off your chest.

I'll repeat a few things though, as that seems to be way on internet forums, that way it must be the truth.

If I lived away from Plymouth I wouldn't have been as dedicated as I have been that's for sure.

I assume 'disposable income' includes spending money on booze, copious amounts of it, ever Friday and Saturday. If it does, then I stand by what I say, without doubt there's still plenty of it about.

'Half decent' was aimed at those people that watch the 'EPL' because compared to them our footballers are only 50% there, but honest players they are, no matter what people hear on the radio or from their 'friends'.

So witter on all you want about the price of eggs, Argyle are playing some nice stuff, they are getting their act together and as I said all the excuse to not attend are put aside when a big game comes up.

So carry on being a working class hero if you want, beat your drum if you want, have a dig about what you hear on the internet if you want. But I recognise it as bollox.

Hope that's clear enough old boy.