Matthews | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Matthews

Dec 27, 2004
Southampton
Neilz5419":38el5hg7 said:
Maybe a bit controversial but he looked the most composed keeper I’ve seen between the sticks all season for us, didn’t seem to bat an eyelid and never once did I think he was gonna be beaten or make a mistake.

This

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
kingobadingo":186wd2ni said:
Neilz5419":186wd2ni said:
Maybe a bit controversial but he looked the most composed keeper I’ve seen between the sticks all season for us, didn’t seem to bat an eyelid and never once did I think he was gonna be beaten or make a mistake.

This

Let's hope that continues as it seems he will be here for a while.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/f ... set-664048

As PL2 said earlier, we may see the return of young Cooper for the Cup.

Jul 6, 2009
He is a very good keeper who played very well today. We have zero chance of signing him permanently but I am so glad we got him in over Camp. Can we ensure our own keepers are "injured" for a few more weeks until Norwich need him back?

Jun 2, 2016
Excellent performance. Very professional in the circumstances. Handling from crosses was faultless.
And when the bench asked him to kick a ball into the centre right field, he put it on the spot.
He's got extraordinary long thin legs...:) which gives him great height and frame for a keeper.

Feb 28, 2016
Knibbsworth":fl0sk8u0 said:
MarkMatthews":fl0sk8u0 said:
Didn't think he did anything Cooper couldn't of.

Fair play he dealt with everything he had to and done the job so can't knock him.

Do you ever think you perhaps overestimate the capability of the academy players and their attributes relative to the professional athletes they are competing with (for a space in the team) and against?

You always seem genuinely shocked Adams doesn't pick 18 year old apprentices over career footballers in their late twenties.

When DA did pick Fletcher v Shrewsbury, you gave Adams no credit for backing the youth system and insisted Fletcher "forced his hand" as the club's top scorer.

It seems to me a bit strange you equate saves and goals v Liskeard in the SWPL to doing it seamlessly against Shrewsbury, Blackburn and Wimbledon, with no maturing process necessary in between the 7 tiers of football that separate those standards.

No I don't. Do you not think you perhaps, underestimate the capability of the academy players?

Anyone who signs apprenticeship forms has my respect (I was never offered them!) and as this year proves, you don't just get them because your local and half decent, that's why we are signing Greeks and Geordies!

What I will never do is shoot down a 16/17/18 year old, trying to realise their dream, living the dream all of us surely had. That is why anyone involved with the first team from the ranks will always have my support. As I only "big up" players I believe could make it (and it tends to be obvious, the ones I do big up, tend to be the ones who get offered deals post 18, which is when the wider fanbase takes an interest in them.) of course I back them. What you don't see are the names I don't rate, because I refuse to slag them off on the internet! There are many more who I don't rate than do just you never hear about them!

I have already said out of all the second year apprentices I would only have Mike and Ryan near the first team at this stage, which means there are six or seven others I think shouldn't be. Just yet at least.

Cooper played so much more football last season than the others in his year, it is no wonder he is about a year ahead of where you would expect him to be.

I know it may sound as if I think all the youth team could step up but that is genuinely because for the last two years I think they could have. Not now or the year after that, no but that two year period, yes.

Cameron Sangster is a great example, love how he is getting his chances, gaining experience around the first team, if he makes a mistake, and fans turn on him (and they will, just look at the vile online abuse Aaron Bentley got on social media,) then I will be the first to leap to his defence. That said my heart would be in my throat, if he got a first team chance now, I would be nervous for him. Cooper, Law and even Crawford (although I would have Jordan and Callum ahead of him,) I was/would be completely relaxed about coming on and doing their job.

Interesting it's said the defence played better because they had an experienced keeper. On another thread somebody mentioned that with a young keeper the defence would rally around, implied they would find an extra 10%, didn't see anyone argue with this. It can't work both ways surely?!

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
I admire your defence of the youth but the reality is they may be old enough but not quite good enough.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
With Premiership teams and even some Championship teams scouring the whole country for the best raw talent the best we can ever hope for is the late developer or scraps. All the rest of the raw talent that we pick up will be fit for the lower divisions at absolute best. It's no surprise that our best products were those gained whilst we were in the second tier. We'd all like Fletcher, Sangster, Cooper or an other to be the ones that the big clubs missed, or the ones with enlightened parents who realise that playing at a lower level will help development more than playing in a top academy. However, reality is that less than 1 in 20 will be good enough to make our team at the level at which we are playing at the time. Ironically the best chance for the youth is our stagnation. Cooper has a year or two's growth left to go - he suffers like others had before him with a lack of height. Fletcher may bulk out and be able to cope with the physicality, Sangster is the one who looks the best prospect at the moment and well ahead of those past midfielders listed by Mark in his previous post at the same stage of development.

I hope they all make it but I wont be expecting any of them to.

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
Welwyn Pilgrim":24rxe68b said:
Having signed about 24 hours ago you have to admire his professionalism in the way he performed today for Argyle without knowing the names of the players. Looked confident and assured but commented that he likes to punch rather than catch but put this down to the very windy conditions.

Whilst it's to early to say he looks useful and more than played his part today.

Fully agree, won us an extra 2 points there.

His kicking against the wind was impressive & helped us a lot 1st half, clearing the pressure.