McHugh and Mellor | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

McHugh and Mellor

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Green Neil":t1795djg said:
GreenSam":t1795djg said:
McHugh's about as much of a left-back as I am a bricklayer. He can usually stop a man when he's one on one with them but you can tell from his positioning that he's so uncomfortable as a full-back that it isn't even true. He never knows where to be- doesn't go up pitch enough and when he does he doesn't get back. This man is not a left-back. Simple as. Truly comical error for the goal too, schoolboy stuff.

Mellor showed promise at times but needs to be a lot more decisive.

McHugh is a 21 year old who's having to learn & improve 'on the job' because, by all accounts, Purrington had a poor pre-season. Not a left back "simple as"? Maybe not a great left back yet but a young player at a new club...how about we give him time to hopefully improve?
I'm not slating McHugh- well, I am I suppose but no more than I'd slate myself if I was put onto a building site or any other position that was totally unsuited to my skillset. I accept that analogy isn't water tight for McHugh because it's a different role, not a different sector but he looks so unsuited to it that it still may as well be true. Mainly I feel sorry for him being played so obviously out of position.

Yeah, Purrington had a poor pre-season. How long will we be able to dine out on that when a player is having a poor actual season consistently? August, September?

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Didn't read the whole thread.
FFS 3 games ! 3 games in and not only do we have a thread picking on 1 player but now 2 at a time. I'm just pleased that some of these posters didn't manage me in a crisis. Try supporting for a few more games and not criticising. These are the same posters who handed out grief to RR last season. SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT not sat there head in hands mumbling ''we're all doomed''
:scarf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RIgs3eygo

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
tigertony":30p8mt3y said:
FFS 3 games ! 3 games in and not only do we have a thread picking on 1 player but now 2 at a time. I'm just pleased that some of these posters didn't manage me in a crisis. Try supporting for a few more games and not criticising. These are the same posters who handed out grief to RR last season. SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT not sat there head in hands mumbling ''we're all doomed''
Stop over reacting and being so melodramatic, nobody is saying they are bad players.

A lot of fans have genuine concerns that McHugh is being played out of position, something that has been all too prevalent under Sheridan with a number of other players and perhaps still is the case with Banton and Alessandra.

I think Banton would be more effective if he had a more efficient LB behind him so that they could work the line between them.

Same on the other side, without a naturally wide right-sided player in front of him, Mellor's inability/unwillingness to get up the line has been very obvious.

CFG

Jun 21, 2013
This time last year we had Nelson at RB and Berry at LB having started with Blackman for the first two games. Surely McHugh and Mellor represent an improvement on that. Not to mention that we now have Nelson and Hartley in the middle instead of Branston and Trotman. Plenty of reasons to be cheerful this season!

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
demportdave":20rndaom said:
tigertony":20rndaom said:
Stop over reacting and being so melodramatic,

I'm trying to get a part in Corrie or Eastenders or Emmerdale or CBeebies :lol:

CFG":1x18cqtp said:
This time last year we had Nelson at RB and Berry at LB having started with Blackman for the first two games. Surely McHugh and Mellor represent an improvement on that. Not to mention that we now have Nelson and Hartley in the middle instead of Branston and Trotman. Plenty of reasons to be cheerful this season!
That defence was pretty terrible: Trotman never looked league standard, Blackman was one of the worst Argyle players ever, Nelson and Berry were playing out-of position and Branston was past it. Not a great benchmark.

Our centre-backs are good this season and we have depth with O'Connor able to cover RCB and McHugh covering LCB. I think Mellor seems like a good defensive full-back too. But it's McHugh that's the problem. He's as much of a left-back as I am a university professor. Get Purrington in and let McHugh play his natural position, please.

Apr 28, 2013
Think Mellor can be pretty good, he has quite a lot of skill, although that's not really suited for a defensive player!

Jan 26, 2013
Plymouth
I really do feel McHugh is being wasted at left back as he actually has some very good attributes. For a defender he is a very accurate passer of the ball and always looks very composed in the tackle. Problem is his lack of positional sense (at LB) and lack of pace mean that he will never be successful in the position. If Shez really is hell bent on not playing Purrington we need to look at the possibility of bringing a natural left back in on loan.

As for Mellor, it's a bit too early to judge him. He looks a promising player, but consistency will be key to his campaign as he does look to have a mistake or two in him. Hopefully he can stamp that out.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
MannameadGreen":2kx4nq87 said:
CFG":2kx4nq87 said:
That defence was pretty terrible: Trotman never looked league standard, Blackman was one of the worst Argyle players ever, Nelson and Berry were playing out-of position and Branston was past it. Not a great benchmark.

Our centre-backs are good this season and we have depth with O'Connor able to cover RCB and McHugh covering LCB. I think Mellor seems like a good defensive full-back too. But it's McHugh that's the problem. He's as much of a left-back as I am a university professor. Get Purrington in and let McHugh play his natural position, please.
I thought you were :lol:

Dec 28, 2010
McHugh is a centre back not a left back so cant really judge him yet untill he plays there, knowing Sheridans wacky players out of position tactic that will never happen.

Mellor is growing on me, could be a good signing.