Milk Cup Argyle finish 3rd overall after a 2-0 win | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Milk Cup Argyle finish 3rd overall after a 2-0 win

P

Paul_Roberts

Such a shame we aren't currently at a higher level. While a move to Liverpool, for instance, will always be a step up for an Argyle player, us being in the Championship would lessen our chances of losing some of our bright young things to Brighton or even Southampton.

I wonder how many of this Milk Cup squad will be prised away before they even turn out for our reserves?

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
βœ… Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Plymouth Argyle 6 Sydney United 2 FT

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
πŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
βœ… Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
6 teams started the day 2-0

Now
Argyle 3-0 and +10
Co. Antrim 3-0 and +6
SC Corinthians 3-0 and +10
Southampton 3-0 and +5
O'Higgans 3-0 and +6

Rangers 2-1 and +4

O'Higgans plays Rangers

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
πŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
βœ… Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Plymouth Argyle FC βœ” @Only1Argyle

Alex Battle, Jordan Bentley and Sam Ryan all score twice as #pafc beat Sydney 6-2 in the @DFMilkCup - now wait to find out if they progress

Of course they progress :banghead:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Graham Clark":2271t6cy said:
Paul_Roberts":2271t6cy said:
Such a shame we aren't currently at a higher level. While a move to Liverpool, for instance, will always be a step up for an Argyle player, us being in the Championship would lessen our chances of losing some of our bright young things to Brighton or even Southampton.

I wonder how many of this Milk Cup squad will be prised away before they even turn out for our reserves?

I had the pleasure of meeting Lloyd Jones' father a couple of weeks ago in the same week thta his son had just made his 1st team debut for Liverpool in a pre-season friendly. He could not speak highly enough of Argyle's Academy set up. I believe he has another son at Argyle's Academy.

He said of Argyle's Milk Cup team of four years ago eight had gone on to sign professional contracts. To the best of my recollection they were, three with Premiership clubs (Lloyd Jones, Lee Barrow with WBA and Sam Gallagher with Southampton). One with a Championship club - Christian Walton with Brighton and four with Argyle - Harvey, Bentley, Purrington and Allen. So we have managed to keep hold of some of our promising youngsters beyond the reserve side.

The problem will remain though as the next level of Academy status in a quantum leap in terms of finance and facilities and i doubt whether it can be realistically achieved until we reap the reward of Championship level finances. In the meantime we will have to continue to bear the consequences of an Academy system skewed in favour of the Premiership and Championship.

As an aside Lloyd Jones was sold to Liverpool for Β£20,000 by Brendan Guilfoyle during our period of administration(with no add ons) on the advice of Paul Hart's son acting as agent. A scandalous decision without any justification particularly in relation to no future payments for 1st team appearances or the like. I wonder how much the agent's fees for that advice were!

And were any backhanders passing around, perchance? We will never know.

As regards Argyle's Academy, the progress achieved to date is wonderful. But for the new financial demands of Academy status, Argyle could have outperformed that of Crewe Alexandra, who have been looked upon as provider of young players to the top clubs in the North West.

Feb 8, 2005
The sooner we get back to the Championship, the better.

If we get back, that is.

We have always been top half div 1 bottom half Championship, so when we get to Div 1 it will need another huge push to get up to the Championship again.

Only then will we reap the rewards of our Youth Policy, without losing our best lads to Clubs in the higher divisions.

Mind you, they will have to be of better quality because of our higher status.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
πŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
βœ… Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Argyle 3-0 and +10
Co. Antrim 3-0 and +6
SC Corinthians 3-0 and +10
Southampton 3-0 and +5
O'Higgans 3-0 and +6

So i think it will be in the Milk Cup semi final

SC Corinthians 3-0 and +10 11-1
Argyle 3-0 and +10 12-2
O'Higgans 3-0 and +6 6-0
Co. Antrim 3-0 and +6 7-1

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
πŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
βœ… Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
ARGYLE #1

BtziIJ3IUAARcVy.jpg

B

bizzay1

That table makes for good reading :clap: :clap: :scarf: :scarf:

Feb 8, 2005
I take it that the four teams now in the Milk Cup itself will be:

Argyle
SC Corinthians
Co Antrim
O'Higgins

And that there will be two semi-finals between these teams, and the winners will go on to play the final.

Crumbs. :clap:

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
πŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
βœ… Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
I would assume it is 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd so Argyle would play O'Higgins, which with a name like that you would think it was a Irish team but in fact they are from Chile

P

Paul_Roberts

I don't think this is the only division in the tournament. I read today that Man United have totally dominated their own section, and they aren't in the table above so there must be more.

So Argyle and three others have qualified for the Milk Cup, where they will be joined by an unknown number of other clubs.