Minutes of January AFT Meeting with Martyn Starnes | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Minutes of January AFT Meeting with Martyn Starnes

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
jimsing":1ctp8e0r said:
What is the expectation of the Club, then?

Did the Club have any plans for upkeep when they were purchased?

Cannot see the Club spending that sort of money unnecessarily.

Unless someone takes responsibility the bricks will just deteriorate until they collapse.

Presumably their plan for upkeep is the same as the rest of the stadium. Did they also expect fans to maintain the horseshoe? Of course not.

Why is simple maintenance 'unnecessarily' spending money?

And as for your final sentence... that's sort of the point. And it's unquestionably the club's responsibility. Again, it's relatively minor but the club need to do better on this.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
jimsing":re82gk5z said:

Unless someone takes responsibility the bricks will just deteriorate until they collapse.

Going back a good while, Argyle fans helped raise money for Brian Hall's transfer fee, thankfully the club did not expect the fans to also pay for any medical treatment (or maintenance) he required. :)

G

Greenskin

jimsing":6mpljmb4 said:

Is it in your DNA to be in any way or fashion even the tiniest bit questioning or critical of anything "the club" does? We [we being my late father,my late grandfather and myself] purchased our brick on the pretext that the money donated would,albeit in a minor way,help the club financially.Can't remember the exact amount involved nor the details of the wording in the application paperwork but i'm damned sure that it didn't include an obligation to give the brick a polish on an annual basis.Hopefully i won't snuff it in the very near future or our brick will be in trouble if "the club" doesn't take their rightful responsibility on the matter-they were happy to take the money at the time and the onus passes down to whoever is in charge at Argyle at any given time,no matter what the circumstances were.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Coincidentally there was a piece in THe Times [I think it was] on Saturday about a Premiership club, which also has a Memorial Brick set-up for deceased supporters' names. At that Club the supporters group themselves organise a cleansing session during the closed season, such that it is pristine at the start in August. It appears that this maybe the route to go down, rather than rely on a cash strapped club.

Feb 9, 2011
Graham Clark":327l33lt said:
I note the January AFT meeting minutes with Martyn Starnes with interest. I notice that the issue that arose about the condition of the bricks in Pilgrims Way was not discussed.

As a result of the comments here and elsewhere the bricks in Pilgrims Way have received a little more TLC and are no longer weed and moss strewn.
However, I took it upon myself to contact the original installing company Bricenomics and send them some photos of the condition of the bricks. They are able and willing to do a restoration job on them for around £3,500 (excluding VAT) and outline a future simple maintenance plan.

Pilgrims Way was one of the first of its kind and was enthusiastically endorsed by the Board at the time of installation from 2002. It is home to a number of well loved supporters whose names will be familiar to us all and sadly are no longer with us.
work can only be done in dry conditions and is best undertaken in the close season so if the club are committed to doing it it should not have any impact upon the current season's finances.

I have copied the e-mail correspondence to Bob Foale at the AFT and Martyn Starnes so perhaps the issue can be raised at their next meeting to secure a commitment from the club to do the work.

:banghead: you should know better !!!!!!!!!!!!! :funny:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Quintrell_Green":m32n129r said:
Coincidentally there was a piece in THe Times [I think it was] on Saturday about a Premiership club, which also has a Memorial Brick set-up for deceased supporters' names. At that Club the supporters group themselves organise a cleansing session during the closed season, such that it is pristine at the start in August. It appears that this maybe the route to go down, rather than rely on a cash strapped club.

A Premier League club getting a share of a £5bn TV deal can afford to maintain some bricks, and so can Argyle. I'm confused why there are so many people saying the fans should do it...

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Greenskin":3tln27bw said:
jimsing":3tln27bw said:

Is it in your DNA to be in any way or fashion even the tiniest bit questioning or critical of anything "the club" does? We [we being my late father,my late grandfather and myself] purchased our brick on the pretext that the money donated would,albeit in a minor way,help the club financially.Can't remember the exact amount involved nor the details of the wording in the application paperwork but i'm damned sure that it didn't include an obligation to give the brick a polish on an annual basis.Hopefully i won't snuff it in the very near future or our brick will be in trouble if "the club" doesn't take their rightful responsibility on the matter-they were happy to take the money at the time and the onus passes down to whoever is in charge at Argyle at any given time,no matter what the circumstances were.

Each brick cost £35 back in 2001.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
PL2 3DQ":21z7lnsm said:
Greenskin":21z7lnsm said:
jimsing":21z7lnsm said:

Each brick cost £35 back in 2001.

There were two prices one for black and one price for the gold lettering, can't remember the exact price we were also given a certificate for each brick.

Missus told me to clear up that Argyle rubbish :furious: now I can't find were I put the cirtificate and the receipt.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Easy with hindsight isn't it? The club was in a much different place in 2001.

The club should be maintaining the bricks and they should be maintaining everything else within and concerning the ground. The club has to be self-sustaining so can it afford the maintenance costs or should we spend every penny we can trying to get out of this division?

I can see both sides. It's good to have identified what could be done and the price of getting people who know what they're doing to come and resolve the problems. Paying for it..... hmmmm!

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
£35 and £42.50:

buyabrick.JPG

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
My God what halcyon days they were eh?

We were on the march up the leagues that's for sure. Only too happy to part with my £42.50 with the words 'Forever Green' on my brick.

I certainly kept my side of that particular bargain......................

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
IJN":2do55j6z said:
My God what halcyon days they were eh?

We were on the march up the leagues that's for sure. Only too happy to part with my £42.50 with the words 'Forever Green' on my brick.

I certainly kept my side of that particular bargain......................
Halcyon days indeed.
Could get refreshments at half time and not miss the second half kick off :lol: