Mistakes of last season to be repeated? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mistakes of last season to be repeated?

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Greenskin":1cth0ohs said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1cth0ohs said:
The lack of width still concerns myself. The fact Sherdian wants to put players in wide positions who love to always come inside. It worries me he was prepared to put Morgan out wide left again. Something we saw basically at the start of last season that was tried and failed miserably last season. So why try it again in a match?

We lack a totally unselfish player in our side who wants to get up and down the line and set up goals for others.

I thought we looked solid but seriously lack compose in the final 3rd of the pitch. Players out of position like Harvey for me doesn't bode well and says we are going to have a frustrating season. The main 11 look good at times but the lack of depth in this squad will mean team performances will be varied at best.

I was hoping the summer reshuffle might bring fresh ideas but when I see a pre-season with formation reshuffles from 442 to 4231 I think back to last season and think Sherdian still doesn't know how to fit everyone into the best combination for the benefit of the team. I keep thinking how it will be 352 soon and then I will realise that he tactically falls short and doesn't really have a Scooby-do!

Jeez,the resident tactical know all surfaces after one pre season friendly.Must be some sort of record.

He wasn't wrong last season and I doubt he'll be wrong this season either.

Spot on M_G_M as usual.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
PAFC Andy":1y09qhdf said:
Mike Greening":1y09qhdf said:
I didn't rate Marvin Morgan at all yesterday and wasn't even worth a place on the bench going by his efforts yesterday.

Really? I thought he did alright. Was pleasantly surprised actually.

Yeah he did well. But I remember him putting in a similarly good performance against Yeovil last pre-season. Whether it means much, who knows.

Morgan needs to find that form of last August again in competitive matches. However, whilst I don't think he's a terrible as some do, I also don't think he's as good as Reid, Alessandra, Banton or Harvey. May be able to add Smalley to that list too, we'll wait and see.

Mar 23, 2008
Agree with several comments here, not a Sheridan fan but trying to give him and his team a fair crack. He's signed some good players in Cox, Hartley and McHugh but the squad does look unbalanced. I don't feel there is a plan, that said I think we've got a chance of a decent season so remain hopeful but not expectant.

1985nhangingon

Pretty pleased with our new signings so far,I think we will be fine defensively,and up front im pretty sure we have enough fire power but last season the thing that stood out for me was our lack of an out and out wide player,and we dont seem to have addressed this,I may be living in the past but I want one player who gets the ball on the flank and attacks the full back every time,trys to reach the byline and crosses,our players always look to cut inside or lay it back,I think it would make such a difference to out team,pin point crosses and even average strikers should get a few goals,just my opinion

Mar 23, 2011
Fareham
I think we will have a similar season to last season with the current squad, it does not feel to me like a promotion squad but will gladly be proved wrong. As Fergy said a Joe Bryan would add that wide quality to the squad which is one area I believe we are lacking in.

Jun 8, 2014
He's after a right winger, thought that was mentioned?

This isn't the completed squad guys, must remember that.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
True, more to come.

It just seems a little lackluster. Like when under K Hodges, any faith in succeeding feels based on others being really poor 'at this level', rather than Argyle being good. Banton in form would seem the only way we'd surprise others, failing that here's no department where improvement is enough that we'd rank as now strongest in L2.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Paven":2y3csecc said:
He's after a right winger, thought that was mentioned?

This isn't the completed squad guys, must remember that.
It was indeed - but when the doom and gloomers are out in force before the season has even got started they suffer from selective reading and quotations :whistle:

1985nhangingon

Its not being a doom and gloom merchant by having an opinion that we think we need width,it wouldnt be much of a message board if we all agreed with everything the manager does,it shows we want our team to do well and concerned that an important area of the team hasnt yet been strengthened as we had hoped by this stage

Mar 14, 2009
The squad looks weak.

Last season pre-season results mirror this season. 0-0 away to bath city, 2-1 to Yeovil etc...

It just has that feel of a lack of planning as to how we are going to play. As someone pointed out at ht at the Swansea match the players were just left to kick a ball to each other whilst Swansea coach had them doing drills.

You can just blame the manager when things go wrong but look at his support staff. He has lost Gary Owers and replaced with Paul Wotton but I felt like we needed some real experienced coaches. I'm still not convinced about what Sean McCarthy can bring to the table either.

Having said this I do believe it is the manager responsibilities to get his support staff right!

E

Ed_Blackburn

If he plays 4-3-3 the lack of orthodox wingers is mute. Banton and Alessandra can play wide off Reid? If 4-2-3-1 is played the wide midfielders can come inside the fullbacks having to offer width, meaning midfield pair need to fill in for bombastic fullbacks.

1985nhangingon

Hope im proved wrong but Sheridan strikes me as a manager who doesnt learn from his mistakes,I just get the impression he has his ideas and wont change no matter what,just hope he doesnt play players out of position all the time again!!