Most goals in a match at Home Park? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Most goals in a match at Home Park?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
mercedes":2axxtovg said:
I was at the Mansfield match when Argyle won 8-3. It was a freezing cold day. Geoff Barnsley & Reg Whyatt had been dropped following poor performances, so Bob Wylie & Gordon Fincham made their debuts. Yes, I'm sure that their Swinscoe scored 2 x own goals that day. Mansfield's best player was indeed Lindy Delaphena - I think he previously played for Middlesborough? A game to remember!!!
The Mansfield game was Delaphena's third visit to HP. On the opening day of the 1954-55 season he scored for Middlesbrough in a 2-2 draw. He returned in December 1955 but Middlesbrough were beaten 4-0. Later he was joined at Mansfield by two of the Argyle XI from that 8-3 game. Bob Wyllie, the Argyle goalkeeper signed for Mansfield the following season and Jimmy Gauld arrived at Field Mill in 1960, via Swindon and St Johnstone.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Jimmy Gauld - a name from the past!!!

We would not be concerned about lack of penalties if he was playing now. He won them and Wilf Carter tucked them away.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
davie nine":dd6d7dsi said:
Jimmy Gauld - a name from the past!!!

We would not be concerned about lack of penalties if he was playing now. He won them and Wilf Carter tucked them away.
Funnily enough the late Wilf Carter was not impressed by all of Jimmy Gauld's antics. During an immensely interesting day-long visit to Wilf's house in Bath he told me: "The trouble was that for every penalty Gauld won, there were as many if not more ruined chances due to his diving. He used to scream out when he went down which seemed to fool a lot of refs. There was a different attitude then and even our lads felt some of it was cheating. " Wilf also told me about a time when Jimmy got sent off. "The ref was a smashing bloke called Alf Bond. He stood out a bit because he only had one arm. Anyway, he is trying to book Jimmy Gauld and obviously that was something he struggled to do. There were no cards in those days and they wrote your name in their notebook. Anyway, Jimmy is worked up waiting for the ref so says to him "Looks like you could do with a hand ref". Alf was not impressed so sent Gauld off."