Need for the city’s infrastucture to be improved, holding Argyle back. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Need for the city’s infrastucture to be improved, holding Argyle back.

IPA

Aug 26, 2012
The 'real' capital of Devon
I live away from Plymouth and have done for 25 years due to work.

I love going back to Plymouth visiting family and friends however i am always extremely disappointed with

Still no motoway south of exeter
Still no airport
Constant digging up the ciry centre, such a waste of money. Nothing seems to last long.
Lack of investment in the barbican and Hoe.
Everyy place i have lived would love to have the barbican and hoe.
Just driving round Plymouth seeing the weeds in the roads and potholes. Such a disappointment.

Yet the council seems to do nothing but waste money to revamp stuff that dosnt need doing.
Don't forget the scandalous £750k of council tax payers money wasted on that rusty piece of junk on West Hoe pier! :mad:

Jan 12, 2020
Totally agree its down to the council to actually start attracting big businesses and infrastructure investors to the city.
I strongly think Plymouth should have an airport offering not just regional flights but crucially some popular foreign destinations.
No disrespect to those in Cornwall and I am pleased for you that Newquay airport seems to be doing well, but Plymouth itself should have a good airport.
Regards the shopping centre , digging it up, relaying it, planting some trees, doesn’t make it a great shopping destination. Attracting decent stores does, again down to the Council to work with big companies, to make it attractive to them. This in turn would feed and boost the Plymouth economy. Totally accepted all city centres have suffered re online shopping etc, so just shrink the size of it, and revitalise the lost space with housing and other leisure establishments.

Still no hotel development, where the Posthouse used to be on The Hoe?! Prime location and views? Again the council, need to be making this attractive to a big hotel brand.

To bring it back to Argyle, the demographic and profile of the city needs to be improved, if we ever really want to achieve the 5 year plan and being knocking on the door of the Premier League.
Similarly to Jimbogreen, I’m always amazed how everything must be down to the council.
- No big name stores in the city centre, bloody Council!
- No hotel in a prime location, bloody Council!
- Not trying to reinvent the city centre into a mixed use area, bloody Council!

The council can only do so much. The issue is the developers (and those financing them and their projects) don’t see the returns on any invest in a working class provincial city. The council can, and do, work on attracting interest but whilst they bring those horses to water they can’t make them spend. Countless projects falter when it comes down to actually securing the money and therefore remain an architects wet dream.

Plymouth is a truly great place, that is developing itself into a 21st Century city, just slower than those urban areas nearer the financial hotspots of the country.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Plymouth City Centre is turgid for two reasons.

Firstly, nobody lives in in the City Centre. Go to Exeter, go to Cardiff, go to Bristol, go to Cheltenham, go to Bath, there are houses and flats mixed in with the City Centre in those places, that means there’s a local and a collective desire to maintain and improve those City Centre’s.

Secondly, there are very few cafes/restaurants/bars in Plymouth City Centre, there’s no real entertainment scene, it’s just a concrete jungle of shops. You don’t go into the City Centre for a day out or a night out in the same way that you do in some of the cities listed above.

I know and appreciate that the City Centre is being revamped at the moment aesthetically but ultimately nothing will really change in terms of it’s appeal and utility.

Thankfully we have the Barbican, the Hoe and Royal William Yard to fall back on.

Reactions: Wexford Green
Apr 15, 2008
London
I live away from Plymouth and have done for 25 years due to work.

I love going back to Plymouth visiting family and friends however i am always extremely disappointed with

Still no motoway south of exeter
Still no airport
Constant digging up the ciry centre, such a waste of money. Nothing seems to last long.
Lack of investment in the barbican and Hoe.
Everyy place i have lived would love to have the barbican and hoe.
Just driving round Plymouth seeing the weeds in the roads and potholes. Such a disappointment.

Yet the council seems to do nothing but waste money to revamp stuff that dosnt need doing.
The A38 is pretty decent - only takes 30 mins from Exeter on good roads (I come down from London from home games in less than 4 hours). Agree about the airport, though I can't think where you'd put it.

Unfortunately, Plymouth City Council have always been useless, only interested in white elephants. The only think that has been built in the last 25 years is the ugliest shopping centre I have ever been to.

• Unlike
Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum
It's all too easy for the blame game to sit with PCC and the airport - there's more to it than that.

For example, there isn't enough demand for the M5 to be extended past Exeter because it feeds 3 separate A Roads adequately enough for suggestions to be set aside.

In terms of future development, we won't ever get a motorway. Unless the impact of it's absence was of major significance centrally, there will absolutely be no serious consideration given to such a proposal.

Why do you all think the Government were so keen to deliver HS2?
The idea certainly wasn't conceived with prosperity for the nation as a whole in mind.
No, it's real sole intention was simply to further contain the wealth spread and the subsequent economic charge to London and the big cities.

We don't matter down here - the Government are perfectly happy to establish a degree of economic isolationism throughout the satellite regions of the country because these areas only offer the limited prosperity from the grains that they've historically been fed.

The airport provides it's own answer, but most would prefer to avoid it.
For it to reopen and work requires the space to cover it's unavoidable costs - it doesn't have the required scope without large investment.
It also suffers from the neglect of SHH because of their own interests in Newquay Airport - there will absolutely be pressure to keep Plymouth Airport closed.
Remember, operators have quotas and that stark reality is why it remains closed.
That's not the council's fault, that's not even down to central government - that's purely down to operators, directors and shareholders looking after their respective stock.

So, when I see the easy approach to digging people out with the standard jabbing at the council, I do wonder why they are expected to solve so many problems caused by others.
I mean, I recently sought to correct someone on here about their understanding of Beryl Bikes and how they're funded - not remotely via PCC, but he wouldn't have it. No, it just had to be the council mugging us off.

I've said before, the council make all manner of mistake, but they're really not to blame for everything.

Feb 8, 2005
It's all too easy for the blame game to sit with PCC and the airport - there's more to it than that.

For example, there isn't enough demand for the M5 to be extended past Exeter because it feeds 3 separate A Roads adequately enough for suggestions to be set aside.

In terms of future development, we won't ever get a motorway. Unless the impact of it's absence was of major significance centrally, there will absolutely be no serious consideration given to such a proposal.

Why do you all think the Government were so keen to deliver HS2?
The idea certainly wasn't conceived with prosperity for the nation as a whole in mind.
No, it's real sole intention was simply to further contain the wealth spread and the subsequent economic charge to London and the big cities.

We don't matter down here - the Government are perfectly happy to establish a degree of economic isolationism throughout the satellite regions of the country because these areas only offer the limited prosperity from the grains that they've historically been fed.

The airport provides it's own answer, but most would prefer to avoid it.
For it to reopen and work requires the space to cover it's unavoidable costs - it doesn't have the required scope without large investment.
It also suffers from the neglect of SHH because of their own interests in Newquay Airport - there will absolutely be pressure to keep Plymouth Airport closed.
Remember, operators have quotas and that stark reality is why it remains closed.
That's not the council's fault, that's not even down to central government - that's purely down to operators, directors and shareholders looking after their respective stock.

So, when I see the easy approach to digging people out with the standard jabbing at the council, I do wonder why they are expected to solve so many problems caused by others.
I mean, I recently sought to correct someone on here about their understanding of Beryl Bikes and how they're funded - not remotely via PCC, but he wouldn't have it. No, it just had to be the council mugging us off.

I've said before, the council make all manner of mistake, but they're really not to blame for everything.
It's political.

We are not Tory heartland.

If there were Conservative MP's and Conservative councils in situ then we would get more funding from the government, but the Southwest are seen to be very Liberal with a smattering of labour councils in the cities.

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Last time i was down in plymouth the city centre was still a heavy building site so i havent seen what so far has been done.

What did dissapoint me was the empty shops at the bottom half of town.

I personally would have moved the market and the few shops from the bottom half of town into the old Debenhams shop. Then made the bottom half of town into appartments and coffee shops, food vender's etc with outside eating. Places to go chill etc.

In this modern world of internet buying you dont need a massive spread out town centre like plymouth has.

But then id also sort out a proper cruise terminal. Cruising is big business tourism and plymouth has massive history esp for our god fearing Americans.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Last time i was down in plymouth the city centre was still a heavy building site so i havent seen what so far has been done.

What did dissapoint me was the empty shops at the bottom half of town.

I personally would have moved the market and the few shops from the bottom half of town into the old Debenhams shop. Then made the bottom half of town into appartments and coffee shops, food vender's etc with outside eating. Places to go chill etc.

In this modern world of internet buying you dont need a massive spread out town centre like plymouth has.

But then id also sort out a proper cruise terminal. Cruising is big business tourism and plymouth has massive history esp for our god fearing Americans.
It’s funny how we all see things differently. To me the bottom of Cornwall Street and the market are by far the most interesting and cosmopolitan parts of the city. Loads of independents and full of character. Also has the best cafe in town (Cafe Lisbon).

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
the council won't repair pot holes,no chance of an airport which i actually don't believe woul be a financial success.
I was stuck behind a council truck repairing a pot hole on Friday morning. They've got a new truck that sprays tarmac in to the hole.

Reactions: Steve Evans
Jan 6, 2004
Pas
I was talking to a few people about this recently.
For stadium expansion we would need more car parking and coach parking for both home and away fans.
Think the local residents would have alot to say about this.
The local road network around the ground has an overall capacity limit on the amount of traffic it can accomodate.
It barely copes on a normal work day at peak times, not sure Outland Road could cope with even more traffic on match days.
I am an ex Citybus bus driver, we run a couple of routes thru Outland Rd, they are not making any money except at rush hours.
So Citybus would not put on exta services, which leaves us back to more Football Specials.
Great you say, but you have to consider do Citybus have enough extra vehicles to run these Specials, believe me buses are at a premium these day.
Also extra driving staff would be needed who are regular drivers operating them on Overtime or Coach Drivers who may not have jobs that day.
I would say the same problem would arise with extra trains put on for matchdays.
As you can see it does have a knock on effect.
I always assumed no services made money outside rush hours

Gloucester Green

Cream First
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
What would be the necessity put forward as we are selling out home and away ends with the current infrastructure. I couldn't see there being a need for investment to attract fans to the ground?

May 16, 2016
Plymouth has the unfortunate knack of spending lots of money on 'revamping' it's city centre on several occasions over the years and each time it's hard to tell what it is they've actually done.

I do wish Plymouth Council had a new influx of people. For years it's been the same old faces either politicising everything to score some sort of points over their never changing rivals or making it seem that the population are just parts in their version of the 'Sims'.

I used Plymouth airport quite a lot but it was always stifled by being unable to expand sufficiently to rival Exeter. I'm led to believe SHH allowed the deliberate mismanagement that led to it's decline, primarily because Airports are money pits and it's sitting on prime redevelopment land.

Newquay airport is only there because of it's former military value, basically they got lucky. I've used it, very handy and our flights to Malaga were very cheap. There is however limited destinations available depending on whichever Airlines want a slot.

Exeter is handy but a pain to get to if you're not driving. I can catch the 24/7 coach to Bristol airport from Plymouth, drop off in the airport (over 60s return for less than £20 ) but as far as I'm aware, I can't get direct to Exeter Airport from Plymouth. Taxis are now in the £100 bracket.

I have a love / hate relationship with Plymouth. Fantastic waterfront location, absolutely steeped in history but it's stories have never been properly told. It's always seemed nearly but not quite to me.

Reactions: Wexford Green
Mar 21, 2013
Similarly to Jimbogreen, I’m always amazed how everything must be down to the council.
- No big name stores in the city centre, bloody Council!
- No hotel in a prime location, bloody Council!
- Not trying to reinvent the city centre into a mixed use area, bloody Council!

The council can only do so much. The issue is the developers (and those financing them and their projects) don’t see the returns on any invest in a working class provincial city. The council can, and do, work on attracting interest but whilst they bring those horses to water they can’t make them spend. Countless projects falter when it comes down to actually securing the money and therefore remain an architects wet dream.

Plymouth is a truly great place, that is developing itself into a 21st Century city, just slower than those urban areas nearer the financial hotspots of the country.
This for me, whilst the council are responsible for many things too many people believe the council are behind every development. Statue outside the Theatre Royal? ”Waste of money, council should have used it towards social housing”, private land unused for many years developed into modern new building for students? “Council should’ve spent the money on the homeless”, city centre paving revamp? “Why’d they close the subways, the crossings on Royal Parade are a death trap”
I’m a critic of the slow pace of developments & the oh so many stalled projects but there’s been some good stuff happening with the city & Plymouth recently topped a report for the best recovered shopping destination since Covid, or something like that. People think just because it doesn’t have a shop/shops that suit them then the city centre is dead & unused but that insular approach misses the positive things that are around.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Don't forget the scandalous £750k of council tax payers money wasted on that rusty piece of junk on West Hoe pier! :mad:

I firmly believe that will grow to become a much-loved part of the city, not least because everyone loves an underdog after all the criticism.

Rusty Reg :cool: