No domestic live EFL from next season on iFollow - ATV Too? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

No domestic live EFL from next season on iFollow - ATV Too?

Jan 6, 2004
Visually I can't complain about Sky's offering. It's the insipid commentary I can't stand. I get that they're trying to cater for an unbiased audience that may not have the foggiest who any of the Argyle players are, but I like a little bit more personality and info than hearing Don Goodman or Lee Hendrie telling me that "Whittaker has scored 19 goals since his £1m transfer from Swansea" or that he "likes to cut in on his favoured left foot". I can't relate to it and it's enough to send me to sleep. It's also £2 more expensive to buy a solo match. I have no interest in forking out £35 a month for a subscription to Sky when 99% of the time our TV is used for CBeebies and Youtube.
We will have to wait and see but my guess is they will cut the price for the first season to £10 for a day pass so as not to pee off previous ifollow and individual club TV subscribers, it would certainly make sense to.

Dec 30, 2020
I shouldn't think this will change much, assuming Argyle continue to broadcast on ATV for non-UK subscribers. Just means there'll be more games where non Sky subscribers have the option of going down the ATV/VPN route or buying a Now TV daypass (many people will prefer ATV and it means their tenner goes to the club).

Reactions: saxman
Jan 6, 2004
I shouldn't think this will change much, assuming Argyle continue to broadcast on ATV for non-UK subscribers. Just means there'll be more games where non Sky subscribers have the option of going down the ATV/VPN route or buying a Now TV daypass (many people will prefer ATV and it means their tenner goes to the club).
It may not be economic for the club to continue to invest so much in the quality broadcast of Argyle TV if far more people will be watching on sky (and I suspect sky are going to want their pound of flesh and insist clubs put far stronger measures in place to prevent use of VPN - eg requiring a credit card with an address matching the country of the IP address you are watching from)

zakbrown96

✅ Evergreen
Mar 22, 2013
Argyle have spent so much on Argyle TV feels a kick in the teeth. I assume cuts will now need to be made as a result? Eg presenters etc (I hope not but viability is an issue)

Apr 11, 2023
It may not be economic for the club to continue to invest so much in the quality broadcast of Argyle TV if far more people will be watching on sky (and I suspect sky are going to want their pound of flesh and insist clubs put far stronger measures in place to prevent use of VPN - eg requiring a credit card with an address matching the country of the IP address you are watching from)
Let's hope not. As it will be less people able to watch Argyle games. I can't go to all away games and I doubt Sky will make avaialble all Argyle games (plus if it's not a main match the commentary is even worse than).

Aug 17, 2005
I will put this up as a separate thing as I see my reply has attached to the original post about proton vpn is based in Switzerland and with their privacy laws there should you go down that route it is unlikely that the companies will get any information from them about you. They have a limited free one that can be used.

Timeout

Jade Berrow 23/24
Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
This from the Sky press release

Each League weekend fixture round will see 10 live EFL fixtures shown. Five matches will be shown from the Sky Bet Championship
Seems a lot to me. Interesting how there is still the 3pm Saturday black out because it might affect attendances yet we are going to have 10 EFL and what 3-5 premier games over a weekend, shifted to all kinds of weird hours of the day where fans can't travel too in time or at great expense.... All in the name of viewing figures.

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie
May 16, 2016
I know the huge amounts of money Sky throw at it are compensation enough for the clubs, but it does seem that despite their investment, Sky seem intent in damaging the very thing they're trying to sell and rely on supporters to make it half watchable for the neutrals that they hope will make up the bulk of the income for any individual game.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Argyle have just released it, hence it being shared. And rightly so.

See my post on first page from Friday it was taken from the news last May

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
We cant moan about this. The extra revenue will hopefully make us a little more competitive financially.

We are the minnows in the league. The 5 weekly games wont feature us unless we are playing Leeds/Leciester/Southampton etc

Imagine being Leeds. If they stay down they are almost certain to never play at 3pm on a saturday!

Bickleistheking

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 4, 2023
£7 million if were in the championship. £900k in we’re in div 1.

thats what there paying for. To tell us what to do. 🤷

Reactions: KJC

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
How does this effect overseas viewers, i can not see anything in the Argyle announcement and nothing on the Sky link.

Last edited:

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
How does this effect overseas viewers, i ant see anything in the Argyle announcement and nothing on the Sky link.
It just says about domestic customers, so by inference, no change to you.