Offense verses Defence | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Offense verses Defence

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
IMHO, the main reason we have not scored many goals is that we don't have a wide player who can put accurate balls into the box. In the main crosses and final balls are poor. Also, we don't have a forward with a natural scorers instinct to anticipate and make the telling 3-5 yard runs that lose defenders and get on the end of a crosses.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Depends how focused you are on the scoreline when the ref calls the game to a stop. Much football coverage tells us that the final score is sooooo important, giving a kind of neatly packageable fast food for the mind approach, where one is warmly hand held through to the ultimate goal of tricking oneself to imitate what the manager or chairperson 'might think'. It’s very difficult to find coverage of what a ‘turn up, sit down, be entertained and then on my way’ person wants to hear about.

On the extremes for a ‘turn up, sit down, be entertained and then on my way’ person: I thought Poolis' defence-focused approach was completely unimaginative and awful just to be in the vicinity of such bland activity, but the attack focus of the Shilton days was a sheer joy to watch and gave a feeling something special was taking place.

That simple.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
It was a joy to watch alright with 144 goals in 46 games, 88 for and 56 against. Even the all conquering Sturrock team only saw 99 goals throughout the season with 71 for and 28 against, so a goal a game more to see but surprisingly a goal difference of 32 against the Sturrock team's 43.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Wonderful to watch but so was our team lifting two Championships in three seasons.

Halcyon days, but I'm quite proud of my team at the moment, it was very interesting to hear the glowing feedback from the Womble fans on Tuesday night. They were very impressed.

In the now famous soccernomics book, which I admit to having only dipped into occasionally at my son's place, the author brings out the point that whilst most clubs respond to a poor goal difference by signing a better striker, in nearly all instances more points would be gained by signing a better defender, even where that club believed its current defensive performance to be OK. In other words it's statistically provable that every less goal conceded earns more points than every additional goal scored.

Aug 10, 2006
Mdgreener":1qo2ag5w said:
So how important is having the best defense (goals conceded) in the League? I did a little research. Over the last ten seasons, the team with the best defense was promoted nine times, five times as the top team, once as second place, three times as third-place. The one exception was Southend last year, who came fifth and were knocked out in the playoffs.

In contrast, the team with the best offense (goals scored) was promoted just six times. Three times the team with the best offense did not even make the playoffs. The one time the team with the best offense made the playoffs (MK Dons 06-07 came fourth), they lost in the playoffs.

So, as the old saying goes, Good offense wins games, good defence wins Championships.

Incidentally, when we were promoted in 2001-2, we had the best defense but the fifth best offense.

:scarf:
how many of those teams promoted only scored a goal a game not many I bet, you can have the best defence in the world but you need to score more goals.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
mervyn":3gvm4f8m said:
In the now famous soccernomics book, which I admit to having only dipped into occasionally at my son's place, the author brings out the point that whilst most clubs respond to a poor goal difference by signing a better striker, in nearly all instances more points would be gained by signing a better defender, even where that club believed its current defensive performance to be OK. In other words it's statistically provable that every less goal conceded earns more points than every additional goal scored.

So basically attacking skill is a more expensive commodity than defensive skill, and a fool's paradise.
I guess we're brainwashed into thinking that the far right column of a stats table measures our enjoyment for us, so it pieces together nicely.

Dec 2, 2010
Defence is the best form of attack....even Sun Tzu thought so, so it translates to football, business and most things generally.

Our most worrtying statistic is coming back from a goal down to win only once (in last 50 games?). You have to be proud of our recent record but it has to be something to build on. Be interesting to see how we respond when we next concede.

Jul 2, 2014
Knarf Reprah":149hl0db said:
What's this offense nonsense? American are we?
indeed - my spelling is somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. "c" is sometimes "s", "o" is sometimes "ou" and long vowels are some times short - or is it the other way round?

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Best defense 8 goals against in 14 games
18th worst offense 14 goals in 14 games.

We have had 9 different scorers this season in league football only Reid (5) and Alessandra (2) have scored more than 1 goal, to be successful we need more players to step up the the scoring. The defence is doing their job.

If you check the players form on Fantasy of the top 7 players Reid is the only forward all the rest are defencemen i think that speaks for our season so far.