Ollie Watkins. Matt Grimes. How many more...? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ollie Watkins. Matt Grimes. How many more...?

• Thread starter Frazer Lloyd-Davies
  • Start date
Jul 6, 2011
nick_PASTIE":2z5r2f82 said:
LeonTheGreen":2z5r2f82 said:
nick_PASTIE":2z5r2f82 said:
They get a lot of publicity but we have had our fair share over the years too. I think they got more publicity because they are such a small club. It's interesting how many of them "fail" on their big money move- Grimes, Harley, Nichols, Archibald Henville, Moxey. They mostly end up back at City two years later on a free. Good business model I suppose! Depends where the development started too and obviously we haven't got the fees as well as 'Tis and Perryman do with their connections.

Here's some

Wotton, Trigger, Nelson, Hourihane, Purrington, Gosling, Reuben (lol), Vassell, Jack Stephens, Bolasie (sort of), Barnes Ash (sort of)

How did we develop Vassell? He left, joined Truro, was brilliant and then Luton spotted him and moved for him. If anything it shows how poor our youth team management are to let a talented lad go. We did not develop Bolasie or Hourihane neither.

I know some of them are tenuous but so are City's- all clubs have that with their "youngsters" Nelson started elsewhere as did McCormick and Connelly but they all got their "break through" at Argyle- Noone too- they are not necessarily Plymouth lads, developed from the age of 8 through the academy but nor are the City lads. They have been "forced" to put faith in youngsters and often get better fees and publicity. City may attract youngsters to as they know they are more likely to geta game, especially if they are happy with a fiver and a bag of chips.

I understand Ampadu is son of Kwame Ampadu, who had a loan spell with Argyle in the 90s, could have all turned out so differently but he ended his career at City. Now coaches at Arsenal but Ethan signed for Chelsea!

Anyway tonight Brunt Nd Tyler finished leading the City forward line and they lost 1-0 to..... Weymouth!! :funny:

Harvey and Brunt didn't come on until the 60th minute and by all accounts Harvey had a decent game despite the scoreline.

Mar 23, 2008
briangreen":g7uhy3rf said:
nick_PASTIE":g7uhy3rf said:
LeonTheGreen":g7uhy3rf said:
nick_PASTIE":g7uhy3rf said:
They get a lot of publicity but we have had our fair share over the years too. I think they got more publicity because they are such a small club. It's interesting how many of them "fail" on their big money move- Grimes, Harley, Nichols, Archibald Henville, Moxey. They mostly end up back at City two years later on a free. Good business model I suppose! Depends where the development started too and obviously we haven't got the fees as well as 'Tis and Perryman do with their connections.

Here's some

Wotton, Trigger, Nelson, Hourihane, Purrington, Gosling, Reuben (lol), Vassell, Jack Stephens, Bolasie (sort of), Barnes Ash (sort of)

How did we develop Vassell? He left, joined Truro, was brilliant and then Luton spotted him and moved for him. If anything it shows how poor our youth team management are to let a talented lad go. We did not develop Bolasie or Hourihane neither.

I know some of them are tenuous but so are City's- all clubs have that with their "youngsters" Nelson started elsewhere as did McCormick and Connelly but they all got their "break through" at Argyle- Noone too- they are not necessarily Plymouth lads, developed from the age of 8 through the academy but nor are the City lads. They have been "forced" to put faith in youngsters and often get better fees and publicity. City may attract youngsters to as they know they are more likely to geta game, especially if they are happy with a fiver and a bag of chips.

I understand Ampadu is son of Kwame Ampadu, who had a loan spell with Argyle in the 90s, could have all turned out so differently but he ended his career at City. Now coaches at Arsenal but Ethan signed for Chelsea!

Anyway tonight Brunt Nd Tyler finished leading the City forward line and they lost 1-0 to..... Weymouth!! :funny:

Harvey and Brunt didn't come on until the 60th minute and by all accounts Harvey had a decent game despite the scoreline.
Didn't know they were there, guessing on trail?

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
One of the problems Argyle have faced over the years - with the first team and youth setup - is the facilities. The training ground is second rate. There are no changing and showering rooms away from Home Park and the youth teams find themselves training at schools and colleges.

Exeter City have the Cat & Fiddle ground and, for a League 2 side, it's pretty good to be honest.

If Argyle could some how build, or develop, a modern training and academy facility... we'd be flying!

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
MajorGreen":2y1x9ryy said:
One of the problems Argyle have faced over the years - with the first team and youth setup - is the facilities. The training ground is second rate. There are no changing and showering rooms away from Home Park and the youth teams find themselves training at schools and colleges.

Exeter City have the Cat & Fiddle ground and, for a League 2 side, it's pretty good to be honest.

If Argyle could some how build, or develop, a modern training and academy facility... we'd be flying!

Well the Cat and Fiddle was given to them so a bit of luck there. The purpose of the C&F seems to be as an academy first but the first team use it also which is a great facility to have.

What happened to Seale Hayne as this could have been the answer to our prayers. Could it be that the Argyle first team practise grounds will never be up to standard because of their position? If we had a purpose built training ground including pitches (both grass and 4G), proper changing rooms, offices, meeting rooms etc etc then we will progress. There is nothing at Argyle to entice the parents of youngsters to come here rather than 40 minutes away and have all that they have.

Which is a shame because in Plymouth there is a great infrastructure and expertise in sport from the Life Centre to Marjons and some even mentioned the Devonport high school for boys actually has better facilities than a pro football club.

Argyle have for many years tried to piggyback onto existing plans for training and development schemes but non have taken off. We will continue until someone can see the benefit of doing something for ourselves.

May 8, 2011
The ideal site for a training complex would be on the Airport site, large area of flat ground and adjacent to Marjons.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Knibbsworth":2n5jtgfv said:
Some of the best Argyle development prospects for years got taken off us during administration. That didn't help.

There is no doubt however that Exeter look to force youth development more than we do. They literally bank on it. Argyle use youth either as back up for senior players, or expect the youngster to overtake senior pros in quality without match experience. Highly unlikely. It is worth noting that when Argyle were broke, we tried the Exeter model of banking on kids coming through, and in the cases of Tyler Harvey and Luke Young, it didn't really work. They didnt turn into prodigious talents and no-one was bidding £1.8m to take them off our hands.

Adams looks like he's turned a corner with the young contracts we have offered. We have some potential in the ranks coming through. It will be interesting to see how much football they get. Rooney it has to be said, didn't get a lot out of Argyle - I hope the others get more.

This is true, and not only that but there was very little appetite (at least on here) to see him get more game time which would have helped him develop.

There's too much of the "if he was good enough he'd play" attitude around, and not enough "if we give him a chance he might become better than what we've got". Rooney didn't need to be starting games every week, but he wasn't even getting 10 minutes here and there when we were 2-0 up, which I don't understand.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Andy Holland":2f3py8hs said:
Knibbsworth":2f3py8hs said:
Some of the best Argyle development prospects for years got taken off us during administration. That didn't help.

There is no doubt however that Exeter look to force youth development more than we do. They literally bank on it. Argyle use youth either as back up for senior players, or expect the youngster to overtake senior pros in quality without match experience. Highly unlikely. It is worth noting that when Argyle were broke, we tried the Exeter model of banking on kids coming through, and in the cases of Tyler Harvey and Luke Young, it didn't really work. They didnt turn into prodigious talents and no-one was bidding £1.8m to take them off our hands.

Adams looks like he's turned a corner with the young contracts we have offered. We have some potential in the ranks coming through. It will be interesting to see how much football they get. Rooney it has to be said, didn't get a lot out of Argyle - I hope the others get more.

This is true, and not only that but there was very little appetite (at least on here) to see him get more game time which would have helped him develop.

There's too much of the "if he was good enough he'd play" attitude around, and not enough "if we give him a chance he might become better than what we've got". Rooney didn't need to be starting games every week, but he wasn't even getting 10 minutes here and there when we were 2-0 up, which I don't understand.

Surely seeing the struggle Rooney is currently having trying to secure a contract anywhere, this would point to the fact that Adams called his ability pretty correctly?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
The Grumpy Loyal":f120bd7q said:
Surely seeing the struggle Rooney is currently having trying to secure a contract anywhere, this would point to the fact that Adams called his ability pretty correctly?
He's been on trial at Yeovil for a few weeks. I wouldn't say he's been struggling.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Argy1e":2ctpl8v2 said:
The Grumpy Loyal":2ctpl8v2 said:
He's been on trial at Yeovil for a few weeks. I wouldn't say he's been struggling.

Well if they aren't yet convinced to hand him a contract, in my book that would constitute a bit of a struggle for the lad!

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
The Grumpy Loyal":tcrd5iod said:
Argy1e":tcrd5iod said:
The Grumpy Loyal":tcrd5iod said:

Well if they aren't yet convinced to hand him a contract, in my book that would constitute a bit of a struggle for the lad!
Most trials last quite a while. If you're going to sign someone off a couple of days there was probably no point taking them on trial in the first place.

Jun 22, 2015
Fine Margins-

2 different models.

Exeter have a consistent plan in place. Reinvestment, producing lottery figures for players, better training facilities, work on stadium....League 2

Us, survival, now success where DA has total control of the purse strings, is all about the 1st team....league 1

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Andy Holland":13f1axdj said:
Knibbsworth":13f1axdj said:

Teams do come back from 0-2 down when changes are made. Leyton Orient last season for example. Admittedly, the replacements for Bradley and Sarcevic were not youngsters but, if they were, who would be blamed for costing us 3 points?

Nov 9, 2008
Exeter tend to also treat their early academy players better than we do. I teach in Newton Abbot and have had kids go through both systems. Exeter tend to let their youngest players still play for their old clubs etc while Plymout are much more restrictive of what their youngsters can and can't do.

I know that how they treat 10 and 11 year olds won't make much difference with this, but if the brightest young players choose City because they know they'll be treated better at that age, they'll be more likely to stay there as they advance through that system.

Sep 28, 2003
London
davie nine":2crq46nu said:
Andy Holland":2crq46nu said:
Knibbsworth":2crq46nu said:

Teams do come back from 0-2 down when changes are made. Leyton Orient last season for example. Admittedly, the replacements for Bradley and Sarcevic were not youngsters but, if they were, who would be blamed for costing us 3 points?

But with this attitude, no young player would ever get a chance unless they're shown to have Messi-esc ability.

Bringing on a young striker to save the legs of a striker who's played for 80 minutes wouldn't have ever been the reason for throwing away a 2-0 lead.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying Rooney was going to be the new Tynan - but I'll admit it was frustrating that after his amazing performance against Hartlepool he wasn't even getting small appearances here and there. He literally wasn't even getting single-digit minutes. He was in dozens of matchday squads and ended up with a pathetic 2 league appearances for the club - that's bizarre, for an outfield player.

Football is littered with players that swathes of players people had deemed to be not good enough, who somehow got a chance in the first team and then managed to step up to a higher level - our goalkeeper is one of them, I remember the desperation of us trying to find a temporary keeper when Romain got injured because everyone "knew" Luke wasn't good enough to hold the fort.