One year deals | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

One year deals

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
BadBoy":2zzfy54y said:
Andy_Tall":2zzfy54y said:
The downside to 1 year deals comes if a team is hovering round the play-offs. Would players who are nearing the end of the contract give that extra 10% to try and win the play-offs, get promoted (and earn their new deal with their existing club) or give 90% as they are at the end of their contract and don't wish to risk a serious injury which would prevent them from signing for someone / anyone the following season.
I'd imagine being a winner at Wembley is the pinnacle for a lower league footballer, certainly looks better on a cv than squad player in a mid table league two side.

What better shop window than a televised game at Wembley?

And that if they have a brilliant first half of the season, they might be offered an extended deal in January anyway.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
In the world of free transfers, i don't really see many longer contracts being dished out at this level unless someone blobs a load of cash on a transfer fee and wants to secure a few seasons for their investment or sell on at a profit during the 2/3 years.

The players (and clubs) seem to have accepted a merry-do-round each year. Players not wanting to commit to a single club for too long, clubs not wanting to gamble on a long term deal for someone who could be a flop. So i think, particularly in the lower leagues, we will continue to see this theme.

Not many players are in L1 or L2 simply play to pick up a pay-packet. Therefore it tends to be people trying to shine and earn a better deal elsewhere higher up the food chain. They have a year to prove themselves to potential suitors or earn an extended stay at their current club should they wish. If that doesn't materialise, they know they can get another deal at another club on a similar salary.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
What is a transfer fee anyhow? An accounting concept, a trend: like a hovel in thmat london is worth hundreds of thousands because that's what London does and forever will so the maths is insulated irrelevance?

I think we see less now of the transfer fee whereby the player is traded unwillingly by the calculating chairman. The transfer fee seems more like alimony, "at this level", as the fanxperts must paste to every post somehow.

Feb 21, 2011
Having just had a look at our squad list it seems this time next year we will have zero players under contract. Has that ever been the case before, certainly were'nt many about the season we started in administration.