Our "local" herald | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our "local" herald

Kevin Gollop

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 24, 2003
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":f91yw5fm said:
The first step towards a Devon daily newspaper? Local World own both the Plymouth and Exeter newspapers, it might make sense to them to merge Exeter's bi-weekly paper and the Herald into one daily paper covering Devon but with different websites.

Local World also have the Western Morning News of course which has been a Devon daily for a while!

Apr 4, 2015
the herald is a joke these days, the website even worse. Basically the paper has no proper links or association with plymouth bar the fact that it is sold here. the sooner it folds and a truly local paper follows the better.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
LG":2gwyyo47 said:
Andy_S":2gwyyo47 said:
Bring back the "Football Pink".
used to love that.
Waiting for the train home to cornwall after a match and the delivery of the pink was much anticipated.
There also used to be regional versions around the country, and I remember coming back from away matches with the travel club and picking up a copy at various service stations.

If I dragged my heels walking back from HP to St Budo I could get the football pink Herald down the square. Football results weren't easy to come by in those days.
Also remember coming back to Euston/Kings X whatever after an away trip and getting Sunday Papers outside. Ideal!! Last pint in a local before tubing it home. Playing for Pasalb the next day. Happy days!! :scarf:

E

Ed_Blackburn

Ask yourself this question. Would Chris Errington make a living and as such be able to cover Argyle from purely online revenue ? The answer is of course no. It's a rubbish paper. Once it stops being a going concern, which is rather predictable. Argyle coverage will cease. You only need to look at the nationals struggle with going online. I did some informal consultancy with a national. Part of their strategy was to subsidise their news from affiliate bingo / gambling and pictures of women in a state of undress. Adverts and charging for content weren't covering costs despite a footprint of millions. The Herald have no chance.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Wilf Carters Boots":r2nneuwv said:
I am indebted to Knarf for highlighting yet another example of 'mission creep' from the local media falling over themselves to promote that place in East Devon they laughably call a city. First we had BBC Radio Devon making sure City matches are covered week in week out by multi frequencies whilst narrowing Argyle coverage to a pathetic minimum and hiding Sparksy in a darkened room and now The Evenin' 'Erald I grew up with in the 50s and 60s has been hijacked by grubby pics of alien sportsmen. Conspiracy theory?....Mark my words something's afoot.....That's it, of course, watch out for the next stage when local TV slips in an episode on for example the Inside Out series entitled SIX TOES - HOW THE WESTCOUNTRY BENEFITS
Bound to be on digital TV obviously and come to think of it I reckon that's why all those fancy Princesshay restaurants are currently promoting 'Toed in the Hole - just like your mother used to make!'
We must not take this lying down! :shock:
Is Exeter still the county capital?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Ed_Blackburn":28d4xuub said:
Ask yourself this question. Would Chris Errington make a living and as such be able to cover Argyle from purely online revenue ? The answer is of course no. It's a rubbish paper. Once it stops being a going concern, which is rather predictable. Argyle coverage will cease. You only need to look at the nationals struggle with going online. I did some informal consultancy with a national. Part of their strategy was to subsidise their news from affiliate bingo / gambling and pictures of women in a state of undress. Adverts and charging for content weren't covering costs despite a footprint of millions. The Herald have no chance.

Undoubtedly as a nation we are becoming more digitalised in news distribution. Having said that, there are 'freeby' publications in continued existence in larger conurbations, which survive commercially purely on the back of advertising/marketing revenue. If Argyle should get alarmed over the lack of a daily local paper to publicise itself and more specifically its' results, I am sure there could be some creativity in entering into some form of 'partnership' with a 'freeby'. I am sure there continues to be many an Argyle supporter, who will recall Argyle's own weekly newspaper publication in the days of Tony Waiters, which doubled as a match day programme. Should there be a demise of the Herald, I am wondering if such a new opportunity would be reignited?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think there was an official Argyle newspaper or magazine more recently, maybe around 2003. I remember buying one from the local newsagent, although it didn't last long.

The danger of a club newspaper is that is would be (rightly) biased and used as a promotional tool, whereas sometimes critique is needed.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
RNHGreen":2t7ivjj6 said:
What's soccer ?

I believe it's a game played with a round ball rather than an odd-shaped one.

You may see and hear a bit about the odd-shaped one in the next couple of months but soccer is still king.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
davie nine":1igau0k0 said:
RNHGreen":1igau0k0 said:
What's soccer ?

I believe it's a game played with a round ball rather than an odd-shaped one.

You may see and hear a bit about the odd-shaped one in the next couple of months but soccer is still king.

It may look round on the telly but I promise you, it is spherical.

Jul 13, 2006
Tis a sign of the times, but I am pleased that I can get a daily copy of the Herald here in Exmouth. The newsagent keeps it back for me. You don't get all the news on the online version, and I like to think that I am also keeping local jobs and businesses going. Yes it has deteriorated in recent years and become regionalised, but any coverage of Argyle has to be good.
I like to know what's going on in Plymouth as well. I'd miss it if it went.

Jan 2, 2005
Plymouth
plymouthboyuk":2guze5ua said:
Reply from sports Editor to my brother, who complained about the Exeter pics in the Herald

Thanks for your email and apologies for the use of ‘those’ pictures.

Basically the photographer at the AFC Wimbledon game was having problems sending his photos back, and so the decision was made to use pictures from another game in the JPT on the opposite page as an emergency back-up.

I wasn’t in the office when that decision was made, though I can understand the thinking behind it.

However in retrospect I can see why Greens fans aren’t happy and if we have trouble getting live pictures again I would expect us to use some filer shots of Argyle players instead.

It certainly wasn’t planned and won’t happen again!

Thanks for sticking with us.

Best wishes,
Regional sports editor

Could one solution be that some argyle fans at the match take some photos and email/tweet them to the herald?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
There would be copyright issues with that, dani.