Our poor away form, negative tactics? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our poor away form, negative tactics?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Steve.PAFC2012":2rg9pbvq said:
We're a good team but I still believe we would be 100% there if we were ambitious enough to keep Hourihane.
Maybe but if we still had him would we have had the funds to strengthen several other positions? The away pointage isn't great, but not disastrous with 8 from 9 games but needs to improve if we harbour serious top 3 hopes. I am concerned at the inability we seem to have to recover from a goal down. Bearing in mind our resources we are punching at about our weight currently. It just highlights though that Exeter with their comparatively poorer resources are doing remarkably well so hats off to them and Tisdale much as it pains me to say it.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
Crap day, but no matter how good a season we have wi still have some crap days.

Hardly a surprise either about the identity of the poster starting a sheridan bashing thread at the first opportunity.

C

Cobi Budge.

How on earth is this a sheridan bashing thread?

I haven't even mentioned the name 'Sheridan' on it, nor the word 'manager' :facepalm:

It seems anything at all critical is automatically bashing the manager.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Cobi Budge.":1k5c0gnd said:
How on earth is this a sheridan bashing thread?

I haven't even mentioned the name 'Sheridan' on it, nor the word 'manager' :facepalm:

It seems anything at all critical is automatically bashing the manager.

Title thread includes the words negative tactics - remind us who has responsibility for tactics?

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
Luton,Shrewsbury and Bury all good teams,all played away from home and all lost. We have lost one in eight and was always going to lose to a side we really should beat, it's the Argyle way. Besides we are not the invincibles and our run was going to end any time soon, it's how we respond now. No Cobi you havn't slaged of or mentioned the manager just his negative tactics which is much the same thing really isn't it, and at the first opportunity which taking your current miserable postings isn't really surprising as you seem to love to find fault at every given chance of late, wtf has got into you ffs? you use to be all things green.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Not won in 2 months, couldn't beat a lowly non-League side at home in midweek and then sacked their Manager yesterday; this game had 1-0 Mansfield written all over it.

But the first defeat in 8 is not the end of the world.

What is of serious concern though is the poor away form. It isn't good enough to be contending the play-offs, never mind automatic Promotion because we are not going to win every home game either.

We still have the age-old problem of never winning after we concede. But we should have got a point today because this should have been one of those games when somebody else stepped up to the plate and nicked a goal for us whilst their defenders were concentrating on stopping Reid and Alessandra.

Our defence has been excellent and Reid and Alessandra are as good a pair as most in this Division but our midfielders goal return is absolutely woeful, mostly because they all want to sit behind the ball and will not accept any responsibility with regards to goal scoring.

It's not realistic to rely almost exclusively on Reid and Alessandra to score every week. The likes of Cox, Blizzard and even Norburn and Harvey when they get their chance have got to be chipping in with the odd goal. The only midfielder I would excuse is O'Connor, but having him should allow the others to be a bit more adventurous.

The midfield have to contribute 12-15 goals between them over the season if we are going to be Promotion contenders. If they don't, we will be mid-table mediocrity once again, it's as simple as that because even with a good defence, we are going to need to score at least 55-60 goals to get Promoted.

We look at half-decent side but the complete lack of goals from midfield is a glaring weakness and a key reason for our poor away form.

Sort it out Sheridan!

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Steve.PAFC2012":2v66jy93 said:
We're a good team but I still believe we would be 100% there if we were ambitious enough to keep Hourihane.

Which bit of "HE didn't want to stay" is it that you can't get to grips with?

Jun 8, 2014
Ffs were you there? We set up in exactly the same way - but amazingly teams will work differently. They wanted it more today and we weren't as good as we normally are. I don't think it was negative tactics at all, as we didn't look too bad when attacking, it just didn't happen enough.

Jun 8, 2014
P.S. Don't mean to sound aggressive at all.

I'm £50 out, exhausted after over 10 hours of travelling and I've seen a very, very poor performance. Not going to be in a good mood tomorrow!

It's just not good enough - something has to change.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Paven":1e5o5igu said:
P.S. Don't mean to sound aggressive at all.

I'm £50 out, exhausted after over 10 hours of travelling and I've seen a very, very poor performance. Not going to be in a good mood tomorrow!

It's just not good enough - something has to change.

Blimey, you deserve a stiff drink!

* it's humour, no teenagers were harmed in the making of this post.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
There should be no panic at the moment. It is way too early to be talking promotion but Argyle are on course. That's all you need right now.

Look at the table this time last season. The top 7 teams after 18 games all finished in the top 8 come May. Oxford United were top and were the team to fall short come the end of the season. The clubs who went up automatically were 2nd, 4th and 6th. The only team way out of the play-off picture at that time were York City who were way down in 21st.

After 18 games it is safe to say that the teams at the top are not just up there due to fine runs of form.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Paven":394nkjg0 said:
Ffs were you there? We set up in exactly the same way - but amazingly teams will work differently. They wanted it more today and we weren't as good as we normally are. I don't think it was negative tactics at all, as we didn't look too bad when attacking, it just didn't happen enough.
Not exactly the same, whilst the players were the same and the formation was (meant to be) the same we were a lot more negative and invited Mansfield to attack us from the off, this changed the 3-5-2 to a 5-3-2 and we had nothing going forwards, it worked when we had Bobby Reid who could launch a quick counter attack but with Dom Blizzard playing that role we don't really have that option. When we did get at them a little in the later stages of the first half with the wingbacks up they seemed to get through us every time with their counter attacks, and that continued when we tried to attack in the second half. Tactically Sheridan got it wrong yesterday, but that doesn't seem to happen very often so we can forgive him one bad game.

Apr 28, 2013
Why should we be changing tactics away from home anyway? It's a football match on a football pitch against 11 players, just like when we're at home! So if we win 3-0 at home, why not play exactly the same away?