Parkin's goal. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Parkin's goal.

Jul 3, 2013
Any goal conceded at the near post is always due to the keepers lack of judgement but praise must be given to Parkin for the opportunist strike.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
It was a good goal, but I think Luke should have done better with it. Parkin scored a similar goal away at Hartlepool earlier this season and has had a few efforts like that. I don't know whether Luke would have looked into that or not, but if he had, he should have been more aware.

Dec 2, 2005
London
As if every time Carey scores a long ranger the 'keeper's in the perfect position. I mean, if we're going to picky, someone needs to make a mistake for any goal to be scored in any game.

Of course McCormick could have been done better. He's got a history of being beaten by shots like this, mainly because he's short for a 'keeper and tends to stand quite off his line when the ball's not close to our goal. I imagine for every speculative lob that goes in he makes 5 saves from conventional shots he'd let in if he was further back. And 50 lobs go high and wide.

Credit where credit's due, Parkin knew there was an opportunity did very well to take it. It seemed to surprise McCormick more than he's was in the wrong place. Seemed to see it/react late.

Apr 7, 2011
I have noticed over the past few seasons, that Luke has been beaten a few times by a lob. Could it be that Bitner also knows this and passed that on the Newport squad?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
siddled":157w7fa8 said:
I have noticed over the past few seasons, that Luke has been beaten a few times by a lob. Could it be that Bitner also knows this and passed that on the Newport squad?

I think so, Bittner would know McCormick's weaknesses because before his goal Parkin tried to lob McCormick but he jumped just high enough to catch the ball.

Perhaps because he's now captain McCormick inadvertently strays too far from his line to talk to the players and give instructions or encouragement. That didn't play a part in the goal but he is upfield quite often.

It was a cracking goal and similar to Reid's against Notts County last season.

Oct 24, 2010
It was a howler by Luke, it was good skill by Parkin but should have been a comfortable save.

Jul 7, 2008
Plymouth/Bristol
I was sat literally right behind Luke in the second row. He 100% had it covered and wrongly decided to leave it thinking it was out for a goalkick.

That said, it was still a hell of a bit of skill and a great goal. One where myself and others sat around simply said 'fair play' and appreciated seeing the effort.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Can i just point out why Luke stands so far off his line, its not neglect, laziness, stupidity or any other such notion.

My pretty solid assumption would be its that as a team/management - we would know one potential weakness we have is a lack of pace at centre back, so rather than defend too deep, we still have our centre backs pushed reasonably high up the field and our goalkeeper positioned so that he has the option of clearing any balls played over the defence.

It wont always work, it will on occasions mean that Luke might be not in the perfect position, but its done in the best interests of teams make-up, if he was glued to his line and Sonny was on the halfway line, that would be a pretty big gap to dink a pass into.

Jul 13, 2006
Voice_of_Reason":y09jkav9 said:
Can i just point out why Luke stands so far off his line, its not neglect, laziness, stupidity or any other such notion.

My pretty solid assumption would be its that as a team/management - we would know one potential weakness we have is a lack of pace at centre back, so rather than defend too deep, we still have our centre backs pushed reasonably high up the field and our goalkeeper positioned so that he has the option of clearing any balls played over the defence.

It wont always work, it will on occasions mean that Luke might be not in the perfect position, but its done in the best interests of teams make-up, if he was glued to his line and Sonny was on the halfway line, that would be a pretty big gap to dink a pass into.

The voice of reason.

Jan 3, 2013
foreigner":39aguz1s said:
Voice_of_Reason":39aguz1s said:

The voice of reason.

Good point

Oct 24, 2010
Voice_of_Reason":304y0mn2 said:

All goalkeepers nowadays are expected to play to a large extent as a sweeper behind the back four which necessitates an advanced starting position.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
There was nothing to sweep there though was there.

You'd hope some L2 keepers would get to an audacious effort like that, just not Luke.