Paul Wotton | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Paul Wotton

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
gaspargomez":250rtija said:
Wotton was a funny player really. His general football skills were definitely league one and two level. But his corner taking and free kick taking were quality and it made him very dangerous. Despite being less skillful than some of his team mates, he seemed to have the strength of character to keep upping his game. I thought the Championship would be too much for him, but he rose to the ocassion and for a couple of seasons he was one of the better players in that league I reckon. No mean feat.

Personally, I reckon he could still be a menace in league two with his corners and free kick taking. I assume his fitness would improve if he played a few reserve games. He is certainly a character on the pitch.

I thought he was a good centre half but an average midfield player. Good holding player in front of back 3/4 if we were in danger of getting battered. Lost his famous shot through injury tho' :sad:

S

steveinspain

It was nice that they showed a close up and gave him a mention on sky during the Portsmouth game.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Pogleswoody":2xzlhwie said:
gaspargomez":2xzlhwie said:
Wotton was a funny player really. His general football skills were definitely league one and two level. But his corner taking and free kick taking were quality and it made him very dangerous. Despite being less skillful than some of his team mates, he seemed to have the strength of character to keep upping his game. I thought the Championship would be too much for him, but he rose to the ocassion and for a couple of seasons he was one of the better players in that league I reckon. No mean feat.

Personally, I reckon he could still be a menace in league two with his corners and free kick taking. I assume his fitness would improve if he played a few reserve games. He is certainly a character on the pitch.

I thought he was a good centre half but an average midfield player. Good holding player in front of back 3/4 if we were in danger of getting battered. Lost his famous shot through injury tho' :sad:
Agree 100% with the assessment comparing his midfield/defence skills. He was immense at the back for most of the two promotion seasons and the consolidation one in the middle of those two. But as a midfield player his inability to pass let him down. It is all about personal opinion and from my viewpoint he was rarely at the races in the Championship as a midfielder. I always saw it as a case of a player playing where he wanted to rather than where he best served the team. I think his current success with defence coaching proves where his expertise lays. Allied to the knowledge he picked up as a player, it maybe that the bullying element of his nature is a real advantage as a coach.