PCH and JS Fall out | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

PCH and JS Fall out

May 22, 2006
Doing what your boss requires and giving 100% are different things. It's all about capability, not expectation. If a player runs the required 8 miles when they're capable of more, they're giving less than 100%. What if they reach their 8 miles after 70 minutes? They can't just stand still for the rest of the game and claim they gave 100%. If they just keep running until they're physically unable to run any further, that's 100%. And since they can't run any further, they can't go above 100%.

By definition.

If you work 8 til 6 when you're physically capable of doing a 12 hour shift, you're not giving 100%. If you work a 12 hour shift when you're capable of 14 hours, you're not giving 100%. You're just giving a bit more than expected. Eventually you'll reach the limits of the 24 hour day, beyond which you can't put in any more hours.

By definition.

It's a silly cliche and I'll have no truck with it.

Or maybe we should start looking for players who can give more than 110%? Why is Sheridan setting his sights so low since logic and mathematics don't apply to football? There must be players capable of 140%, dare I say it even 170%!!! Do you think there will ever be a player who can give 200%?

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Luton were a phenomenon in attack. They scored 96 goals to Argyle's 71 (and Chesterfield's 85). They finished on 97 points - incredibly unlucky not to win the league with that points tally, let alone the way they played. But instead of playing with a Steve Adams and balancing defence with attack, they played to annihilate every opponent. So when Argyle won the league with 102 points, I can't really comprehend the point that Luton could be considered the 'best ever team', let alone Chesterfield who finished over 10 points behind them. I don't really understand the basis for those comments about Chesterfield being the best and why the media seemed to accept that as a decent verdict.

Jul 4, 2013
GreenSam":2gbuk0kl said:
RORZ_PAFC":2gbuk0kl said:
And ever since then, JS wanted him out! Great to see that JS is moving us away from the 'Pretty football will win us the league' approach, and is putting together a team that will put in 110% to grind out results. :scarf:
I don't know about that. Sheridan's Chesterfield side was regularly described as the best footballing team ever to win this league so pretty football has certainly won JS the league before. I agree about it being good that he's trimming the squad down to those of unquestionable attitude though but I don't think that's for a moment incompatible with entertaining football or that we'll only have to grind out results.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a SUCCESSFUL team that is playing nice football. But whilst on our downfall, it seemed most match reports suggested we were playing good football and were just unlucky. It would be nice to have a consistent team that can then build the confidence to play will a bit of style. Once we have a solid defense/ midfield as well as someone who knows where the goal is, then it would be good to see a little flare. Think about how good we would have been if last season we were adding the likes of Banton to a well drilled team?

And for those who don't believe this post to be true, it came from a current Wycombe player who is a friend of mine. All he had to say about PCH is that he is quick..... hopefully he will run flat out into Branston, now that I would love to see! :whistle:

Mar 23, 2008
Aerok":3o1snucw said:
Deacster":3o1snucw said:
Aerok":3o1snucw said:
It's correct that Paris didn't rate JS.
Far more to the point Shezza didn't rate PCH, hardly played him and sold him.

Yep, and those two points link together :)
The point is a decent manager with a proven track record who was an international and premier league player didn't rate an average league 2 footballer. I think that's more pertinent that what an average league 2 player thinks of Shezza.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
xmastree":1b4t0zs0 said:
There was a poster on here in Sheridan's early days (can't remember who) who was very critical of JS, particularly by describing him on a regular basis as a bully. Once Sheridan's results improved this poster dropped this allegation.

I think it's not surprising if Sheridan asked questions about the commitment of the players when he arrived. The Fletcher regime was by all accounts far too matey - perhaps almost inevitably when a player suddenly lands in the manager's chair and has to instill disciple in his dressing room mates. I'm absolutely convinced that a harder, more disciplined regime was the single biggest influence in the upturn. PCH is not the first footballer to have an over-inflated ego, and a regular reminder of who is boss is imperative. If, as alleged, PCH didn't respond to this, then I am happy that he is now employed in Buckinghamshire.

Perhaps I can enlighten you.

When JS took over from CF I was critical of the change and in his first month or so JSs results were no better than we saw prior. I believe I called his tactics bullying (not regularly) after something that was said by him in the Herald. I was not the only one that recognised this but one of the very few that criticised him rather than praised him for it.

As Greensam pointed out recently, I supported CF in what he was trying to do long after the majority were reduced to personal attacks and insults. This is not behaviour I condone in football and life. An interesting side note is that we avoided relegation by one point which was the same as the previous season.

As for going quiet, it made no difference whether I shouted and bawled or accepted the change. Change happened and as I support Argyle it means supporting all (if possible) things green.

The upturn in fortune last season was Jason Banton, the previous season it was Alex Macdonald so on a par then.

I have supported JS in what he attempted last season and what he is doing now. I for one expected him to leave after securing our safety and the only criticism has been his reluctance to move permanently to the area but I'm grateful that we have continuity and off field our problems now seem behind us and we can hope for continued progress.

On PCH, I'm pleased he has left on a purely football basis as his end product was often lacking. As to his attitude and behaviour, I have no idea what that was like so can't comment except to say that he has to prove to Wycombe and himself that what his side of the story is the absolute truth and what so often happens, I expect if the stories are true that he'll be just as disruptive wherever he goes. We gave him a route back into professional football but we don't owe him to keep him there.

Gloucester Green

Cream First
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
Good riddance! Didn't like his attitude anyway thought he was big man on campus but didn't perform consistently enough to support his arrogance. Sheridans way seems to be the best way to clear out the out routine and build on the 'success' at the end of last season

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
For all of PCH's apparent whingeing, he did get a fair crack of the whip on the pitch. If he was not playing he was always in JS's match day squad. Playing professional football is not like a 'kickaround' at Butlins, Minehead. It is probably just as well that PCH is not seeking to join the Paras or the Marines!

Mar 30, 2006
Horsedowns, Cornwall
Deacster":1wwwkl5q said:
Aerok":1wwwkl5q said:
Deacster":1wwwkl5q said:
Aerok":1wwwkl5q said:
It's correct that Paris didn't rate JS.
Far more to the point Shezza didn't rate PCH, hardly played him and sold him.

Yep, and those two points link together :)
The point is a decent manager with a proven track record who was an international and premier league player didn't rate an average league 2 footballer. I think that's more pertinent that what an average league 2 player thinks of Shezza.

I'm not questioning which is more pertinent, more agreeing (attempting to confirm) that the two points are linked.

Jul 29, 2010
Dan Ellard":1kgmws5a said:
Cerbera":1kgmws5a said:
The more I hear about John Sheridan, the more I like and admire the man.

This.

PCH can jog on :wave:

Double ^^ THIS ^^ :wave: :wave:

There was simply something not quite right with PCH, I don't just mean his silly name or his propensity for pointless drivel social media updates from Nandos either.

Bad apples are best binned, and binned quick. In sorting the good from the bad JS has been exemplary and personally I'd take being disliked by a petulant, sour and lazy back chatting snide as a badge of honour :cool:

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
X Isle":3de33niw said:
Dan Ellard":3de33niw said:
Cerbera":3de33niw said:
The more I hear about John Sheridan, the more I like and admire the man.

This.

PCH can jog on :wave:

Double ^^ THIS ^^ :wave: :wave:

There was simply something not quite right with PCH, I don't just mean his silly name or his propensity for pointless drivel social media updates from Nandos either.
I'll treble it ! :wave: PCH
Bad apples are best binned, and binned quick. In sorting the good from the bad JS has been exemplary and personally I'd take being disliked by a petulant, sour and lazy back chatting snide as a badge of honour :cool:

A

argyle dude

RORZ_PAFC":rzf33e91 said:
The first training session JS asked the players where and how they play. When PCH was asked if he is willing to put in 110% every week

Rumour has it JS initially told the players he expected them to work their socks off. This caused PCH to fly off the rails having already spent a not inconsiderable amount of money at Sports world on green socks. When the situation was explained to JS he quickly changed his expectations from working ones socks off to putting in 110% but the damage was already done and a healthy working relationship could not be restored :shh: