Penalty decision (Edwards 2 game ban) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Penalty decision (Edwards 2 game ban)

Oct 14, 2015
You could argue that Thomas went down far to easily however footballers do that now on a regular basis including a few of our own players who are pretty quick at hitting the deck from the slightest touch so hard to criticise the player for that..

Jan 27, 2012
Generally, teams with poor disciplinary records tend to be struggling.

In Argyle's case I think its partially because opposition players are quicker or more skillful than they are used to- hence all the pulling back and fouling.

Aug 2, 2011
The statutory bodies governing football are weak. Aside from diving, there are issues re time wasting and in particular dissent. Why did they permit keepers to choosethe side to take kicks from. It immediately allows for time wasting. There was nothing wrong with having to take the kick from the side the ball went out. Dissent should be handled by a 10 metre move plus yellow card towrds the defending goal and if of that takes it into the box then a penalty plus red card.

Diving is more difficult to ref but the use of post match video replays plus an automatic 3 match ban would help. I think I read that this was being considered or possibly tried out. Just get on with it and start cleaning up a sport which has become increasingly governed by players not the governing body/ies

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
No point crying about it, quite simply no matter what level you watch its a bunch of girls falling over claiming their shins are broken, get the free kick and carry on. It's a cheats and fairies game dictated by money. Whether it was deliberate or not matters little now as the ref decided his fate. We don't have the players capable of cheating enough, we don't have good enough players to win games, we have a manager who isn't managing, we have fans who think the refs decide each week to send our players off. I despair

Sep 6, 2006
the_corkscrew":30fs8m0y said:
Tugboat":30fs8m0y said:
the_corkscrew":30fs8m0y said:
Tugboat":30fs8m0y said:
Penalty all day long and correct decision to send him off
Only a red if the foal was deliberate.
If accidental it's yellow + penalty.

This was a yellow in my mind for reasons set out above

But the argument against is that he denied the player a goal scoring opportunity with only the GK to beat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

New rules though

Stupid rule. How is the ref supposed to know if its 'intentional'? IMO a pen is sufficient punishment. The goal scoring chance hasn't been denied. Outside the box is a different thing.

I never understood the red card and penalty rule for fouling a forward in the penalty box: in the very act of conceding a penalty I’d have thought the defender was presenting the opposition with a goal-scoring opportunity from 12 yards rather than denying a goal-scoring opportunity.

A defender fouling a forward outside the box, however, may well be denying the forward a goal-scoring opportunity because a direct free-kick from 18+ yards out could, in theory, be defended with 11 players on the goal-line. Red and pen for violent conduct in the box only, I say.

Sep 25, 2010
If that had happened down the other end, I bet you every Argyle supporter would have screaming for a penalty and a red card.

Looking at it again, no foul, no penalty, no red

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Only on PASOTI could a green tint suggest it was a free kick to us ?! WTF cringeworthy :doh:

Foul, Penalty, Red card, Thrashing, Suspension

Move on, must WIN against Northampton

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
Never a penalty and even less a red card. Pathetic decision.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
It seems odd that you get punished 3 times simply for the player being a bit of an oaf rather than anything more sinister. Once for the red card, once for the penalty and once for the ban. In situations like this, where we're down to 10 men for most of the game and already 1-0 from the penalty, it seems a bit harsh to then have a ban.

I know a professional foul in the final minutes of close game could be interpreted very differently, hence the ban I suppose, but in this particular case, I feel like we're getting a little hard done by.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
I don’t get the point about poor discipline equating to a high number of fouls.
I don’t recall a game, at least in recent weeks, where Argyle have committed more fouls than the oppo. We’ve never tried to kick teams off the park, thankfully, imho. Respect to DA for that.
Even crash-bang-Songo’o, who’s essentially a front sweeper in a back five, never a L1 midfielder, isn’t that dirty is he.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
KirkbyGreen":23kijbpw said:
I never understood the red card and penalty rule for fouling a forward in the penalty box: in the very act of conceding a penalty I’d have thought the defender was presenting the opposition with a goal-scoring opportunity from 12 yards rather than denying a goal-scoring opportunity.

A defender fouling a forward outside the box, however, may well be denying the forward a goal-scoring opportunity because a direct free-kick from 18+ yards out could, in theory, be defended with 11 players on the goal-line. Red and pen for violent conduct in the box only, I say.

That is exactly how I see it.

Aug 13, 2009
Why did they permit keepers to choosethe side to take kicks from. It immediately allows for time wasting. There was nothing wrong with having to take the kick from the side the ball went out. Dissent should be handled by a 10 metre move plus yellow card towrds the defending goal and if of that takes it into the box then a penalty plus red card.

This was actually brought in to speed up the game, the theory being that if it went out of play on the left and rolled behind the goal to the right hand side the keeper could take the kick from the right rather than stroll back to the left hand side.

They tried the 10 metre rule once but abandoned it. Can't remember the reason why.

Oct 14, 2015
Cause teams were taking advantage of the 10 metre rule. For example, opposing team awarded a direct free kick 25 yards out but the players would purposely commit an infringement in order to get the ball moved forward 10 yards as it was deemed harder for the player taking the free kick to score from closer in then where orginal free kick was awarded. That was my reading off it anyway