Pfft (Onwards to Next Season?) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pfft (Onwards to Next Season?)

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
jerryatricjanner":1z6lktni said:
Ollieargyle9":1z6lktni said:
tagz":1z6lktni said:
greengenes":1z6lktni said:
.... there goes another season .
The best season for 5 years based on league position. Use the remaining 3 matches to prepare for next season

Agreed, a bitterly disappointing end to the season but that does not change the fact that we have made huge progress this season. Our task now is signing the right players to take that next step, it won't be easy and is by no means a given but if we make the right decisions this summer I believe we can make similar progress again next season.
Good grief Ollie how greentinted can you be? How on earth have we made huge progress? After almost half a season last year Sheridan in his first full season has got LESS points per game than last season. I would say he has gone backwards.

I was referring to Argyle as a club have moved forward, JS's future is very much up in the air for me.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
greengenes":3bqjrpwq said:
GreenSam":3bqjrpwq said:
Would you not agree Jerry though that it's easier to get points in that concentrated period than over a season?

We could rely on short-term loans like Cox and Bryan that were always gonna struggle to be converted to long-term loans. Over the summer he had to totally revamp the team with long-term players to last 46 games. It's easier to get points firefighting than starting from a clean slate imo. It would have been very tough to firefight in the same way, especially when there wasn't such a fire to begin with. There's a difference between doing what you have to do to survive and building a long-term project. Two very different briefs- as Tony Pulis will find out next season.

Sorry Sam don't see the logic in that - I would see it completely opposite .
Short-term styles don't always work long-term.

Relying on loanees (especially ones as good as they were) can't work long-term. He had to sign a whole new team of permanent players to last 50-odd games rather than 21 without relying on loan quick fixes. Last season he could throw a band-aid onto the problems to see us through till May. This season he's had to properly fix them in a way that will last. That's the difference.

B

BG21

oddball":3tkt1su5 said:
greengenes":3tkt1su5 said:
Who changed the title of my thread to give it a completely different meaning to the one I intended ?
My thread my sentiments surely = start your own thread . Amazing .

Ian likes to mess around its his modus operandi

WRONG!!! I edited the title as I felt it gave very little indication as to what the thread was about. After a few people had responded I added a bit more information to the title based on the direction the discussion seemed to be taking, hope that's alright with everyone...

B

BG21

greengenes":1cb1b2yp said:
BG21":1cb1b2yp said:
oddball":1cb1b2yp said:
greengenes":1cb1b2yp said:
Who changed the title of my thread to give it a completely different meaning to the one I intended ?

WRONG!!! I edited the title as I felt it gave very little indication as to what the thread was about. After a few people had responded I added a bit more information to the title based on the direction the discussion seemed to be taking, hope that's alright with everyone...

Not with me - My thread was to do with this season fizzling out not looking forward to next season . You changed the meaning of it .

Depends how you read it mate, try the bracketed part in a disappointed sigh and it retains the meaning :)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
greengenes":5tcd8pge said:
BG21":5tcd8pge said:
oddball":5tcd8pge said:
greengenes":5tcd8pge said:

Not with me - My thread was to do with this season fizzling out not looking forward to next season . You changed the meaning of it .

Lol. Your thread title only said "Pfft" followed by the usual one liner as a comment.

Ian is on his way back from Bury.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
so who is BG 21...are we not allowed to know his first name.... as you seem to like first names on here....Ian

Nov 11, 2006
GreenSam":91u8pwj5 said:
Would you not agree Jerry though that it's easier to get points in that concentrated period than over a season?

We could rely on short-term loans like Cox and Bryan that were always gonna struggle to be converted to long-term loans. Over the summer he had to totally revamp the team with long-term players to last 46 games. It's easier to get points firefighting than starting from a clean slate imo. It would have been very tough to firefight in the same way, especially when there wasn't such a fire to begin with. There's a difference between doing what you have to do to survive and building a long-term project. Two very different briefs- as Tony Pulis will find out next season.

Lavery? Where would we have been without that short-term loan?

Worse off for sure I'd say. The difference he made was obvious and was key to one of the few good runs we had and so our position in the league.

Holloway didn't struggle with a clean slate. In fact he went out of his way to praise Pulis for giving him the clean slate he needed for us to progress. It's every manager's ideal situation, to mould their own team from scratch instead of being burdened with a load of players under contract that you don't want. Especially when you're a big fish in a little pond like we are. Sheridan had a fantastic opportunity this season. It's been wasted .....IMO

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
PAFC+":2mj18igm said:
GreenSam":2mj18igm said:

Lavery? Where would we have been without that short-term loan?

Worse off for sure I'd say. The difference he made was obvious and was key to one of the few good runs we had and so our position in the league.

Holloway didn't struggle with a clean slate. In fact he went out of his way to praise Pulis for giving him the clean slate he needed for us to progress. It's every manager's ideal situation, to mould their own team from scratch instead of being burdened with a load of players under contract that you don't want. Especially when you're a big fish in a little pond like we are. Sheridan had a fantastic opportunity this season. It's been wasted .....IMO
That's true enough regards Lavery but our form has had peaks and troughs all season. He was only here for one of the peaks and it was during a very favourable run of fixtures (Oxford on Boxing Day aside).

Holloway didn't struggle with a clean slate but he didn't get it to work to it's full potential in the first season either. He still had to build a whole new team with begin to click slowly over the 17 months he was in the job. Obviously Holloway had a much less favourable budget in relation to the league he was in so you'd naturally expect more snags but that's Holloway for you. I don't think it's quite stated enough just what a truly incredible job he did with us. The point remains that to build a new team to last a season or more (especially one that's as psychologically downbeaten and full of losers as our one was) has to be expected to take time. Yes we've got a good budget for this league but we were also starting with this budget from a bigger handicap. Play-offs this season would have been exceeding expectations, not reaching them. Just in my view obviously.

Oct 10, 2012
greengenes":kwcaz5tl said:
What was the original thread title?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
GreenSam":26c6cf1u said:

Just spotted this Sam. No I wouldn't agree Sam. I don't disagree with much that you post but just don't see any logic in what you suggest here, and like Greengenes would think the opposite. Just don't see how it's easier to get points fire fighting. 8 Premier league clubs have sacked their manager during the course of this season and only Palace find themselves in a better position than they were before the change of manager so no I don't think the evidence is there to support that theory. Having had half a season to assess the playing squad, move out some players, bring in his own, have a full pre season, with still room to use the loan market and make more signings during the season I think Sheridan was in a better position than when he was brought in last January. It is very disappointing therefore that our points per game ratio has gone down this season under Sheridan compared to last season.