Phillips and Devine | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Phillips and Devine

Jan 8, 2024
How lucky are Tottenham to be where they are at U21 level? Last season thay were relegated to PL2 Division Two only for the new format to come in making just the one Premier League 2 containing all Cat 1 clubs….. and they come top making them number one seeds for the play-offs. That’s some turn around by the young Spuds.
Agreed, very lucky indeed. But the U21's last season were a very sorry bunch and this season's U21's are mainly made up by very talented 17/18 year olds. Also, a second person is saying Ash and Alfie would be keen to return. There is little or no hope that they will be added next season's first team squad in spite of their HG status.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Neil Dewsnip has confirmed in the press conference after today's match that we're already in talks with Spurs about signing them for next season on another loan.

Interesting. Thought we were looking to return to data driven recruitment.

Does this mean their data is now why we are after them

or

does it mean Foster wasn't totally responsible for bringing them to the club after all and they were already on our radar?

or

we like the look of them since Foster "requested" that we sign them?

Jan 8, 2024

or

does it mean Foster wasn't totally responsible for bringing them to the club after all and they were already on our radar?

or

Loans for two players who won't incur loan fees and will probably have half of their weekly wage paid for by their parent club might also come into the board's decision making. Spurs priority will be wanting their players to be getting good game time and improving and that's happened this season.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall

or

or

The final one I'd imagine.

Dec 30, 2020

or

or

I think we are probably a bit less doctrinaire about the data analysis than some people think.

Ennis, Mumba, Whittaker and Gibson all played for England youth teams when Dewsnip was involved with the set up, which in each case was mentioned as an important link when they joined. We’ve signed three loanees from Aston Villa in the past two seasons and two from Wolves.

It would be a bit of a coincidence if it was data analysis that kept turning up players from the same clubs with the same career histories. It’s more likely that in practice, personal contacts and relationships have always played a role and continue to do so.

Sep 6, 2006
Both could go on to have good careers but the loan move was a better deal for them and for Spurs than for Argyle. I hope we’ve learned a lesson about why there aren’t many teenage players with virtually no pro experience jumping straight into Championship football. I wouldn’t want to see more than one loan signing like that next season.
Really? Phillips was a regular member of the defence. We didn't get the best out of zDevine cos IF played him out of position. How many mistakes did that man make?

Reactions: SurreyJanner
Apr 16, 2023
Phillips was decent tbf but just couldn't handle a full 90, if his fitness improves I think it's not a bad shout at all

Devine is a hard one to judge just because he was played out of position for so much of his stint here so not massively enthusiastic about that move but also not distraught

Jul 2, 2022
I wouldn't take any player on loan unless there was a reasonable possibility of being able to sign them permanently.
That’s quite a handicap to impose on ourselves. Without the contributions from the loan players this season we would have been relegated. All clubs utilise the loan market as a way to sign players that would otherwise be outside of their budget.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
FWIW a poster on a closed Spurs forum with good knowledge of our youngsters' situations has said that both Ash and Alfie are keen on returning next season and Spurs have been very happy with their game time and development/improvement.

If that is accurate, the only points for discussion would be whether loan fees would be payable and what percentage of their wages would be paid by Spurs. I doubt there would be loan fees if Spurs want them to return to Argyle so I expect there will be agreement for them to be back next season.

If Whittaker and Gibson leave would we be interested in signing Phillips permanently?