Promotion DVD coming soon | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Promotion DVD coming soon

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Ade the green":30eco4w4 said:
SwimWithTheTide":30eco4w4 said:
You said if I didn't want it I shouldn't have bought it, I thought you felt annoyed that I'd criticised something Argyle. If people like it then great, but in my opinion its a massive let down and a wasted opportunity to capture a terrific season.

Match day moments tell a story of each matchday. Charlie does a fantastic job capturing the timeline and emotion of each match. I thought the promotion DVD might contain a similar narrative of the season we've all just enjoyed, but its not.

Its just a playlist of league match highlights. All of which are available on YouTube, or more comprehensive highlights available on Argyle player. Then the cup games are thrown in, separate and out of context to the league. The Anfield leg doesn't even have commentary.

Maybe as a younger fan who's not experienced a promotion season very often (my third) I expected too much. 24 quid isn't cheap, but I just felt the quality of what has been thrown together is :(

I'm sorry, when I said you I meant the royal you! I'm a 50 year old whose first Argyle game was a relegation game against Blackburn so I've witnessed promotion with Warnock, Sturrocknand
Williams* before this and whilst I agree that it's a chronological journey through the season I don't really see how to make that different. Bare in mind that the Wembley promo was just the semi's and final. I felt the interviews were very good throughout. I would say, maybe a full table in for each game might have been good to follow other teams progress (Pompey) but i thought it was a clear representation of the season. It actually did point out the months were we were likely to look back and pinpoint how come we lost the championship.

Personally Ade I'd have made more of a story about it. There's a great narrative of our season.

How last season faltered and the disappointment at Wembley. The total overhaul of the squad. The three defeats in a row. The mood was low. We followed that up with our best run of consecutive wins in however many years.

November came and we found ourselves again foul to three consecutive defeats. Murmurs of faltering like last season weren't uncommon. Then an unconvincing nil nil against lowly Newport in the FA Cup was followed up with a ball being drawn from a hat that tied the winner of the replay against Liverpool. The excited distraction of a game against a footballing giant vs focusing on the league toyed with our December form and on a foggy night in Newport we secured a third round tie at Anfield. Our big day out resulted in an impressive draw. Our new found defensive resilience would later help see us through to secure promotion.

Liverpool arrived in front of a packed out Home Park. A spirited performance, but Jervis' acrobatic effort meant it wasn't meant to be. Those two games have been heralded by several squad members as providing them with the confidence to see promotion from League Two out.

Meanwhile 5 new signings arrived, each with an important part to play. Big wins at home against then promotion rivals Carlisle and against Exeter showcased the most convincing aspects of this Argyle side. Dour home defeats to Leyton Orient and a kit change against Blackpool caused slight concern.

Last minute away wins at Cheltenham and a huge goal from Ryan Taylor at Crawley made the Green Army rejoice that promotion was all but confirmed. The scenes after Crawley away were fantastic.

The magnitude of Pompey away on good Friday. The impact of Luton vs Orient in those subsequent 30minutes. The convincing 6-1 against Newport. The not meant to be against Grimsby. The joy of the Green Army reminding the players that the title didn't matter, promotion had been achieved.

There's a lot of unused footage of games throughout the season (what they sent to that Swedish fan for example) and the moments spliced from Charlie's matchdays. Fan footage. News coverage. Etc. Nothing was compiled for this DVD. Rather than a story its just Argyle v Luton 0-3. Carlisle v Argyle 1-0. Notts County v Argyle 2-1. Argyle v Mansfield 2-0. Etc.

Shaking graphics/text/teamsheets aside, it could have been a lot better, let's be honest.