Punching above our weight | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Punching above our weight

Knibbsworth":39y3f2g4 said:
Martin":39y3f2g4 said:
Well it seems DA knew we were going to struggle, he quite clearly knew the budget he was given and the players he was able to sign were simply not good enough. There needs to be changes starting at the top, starting with someone who will put the team first and properly development second!

Well said.

James Brent gets such a free ride on these boards. He's building HHP for business interests separate to that of the club, and some fans adore him for it.

Look at the state of the freebies and cast offs DA has had to sign. I saw Jamille Matt playing for Grimsby yesterday and caught myself thinking 'cor, wouldn't it have been good if we could have afforded him?' And he's playing for a midtable side in the division below on lower gates! The reality is we couldn't match Matt's wages, Reuben's wages etc. and have to rely on a non-league striker who will play for next to nothing. Our goalscorer is a teenager off the bench because we can't afford anything else.

It's a shambles and NOT all DA's fault. Where has the money gone!?

Jamille matt didnā€™t going blackpool because of money but because it was much closer to home.

Budget is not low, so love how utter crap becomes fact just because a few people say it!

As for JB building something on his land that can generate him a profit, does it matter? What impact does it have on you? Is it a jealousy thing? That you canā€™t have it so now should he? Above all else JB is a businessman, thatā€™s not something to be negative about.

He promised that he would run the club in a sustainable way with moderate profits and would help supply money to develop the team, heā€™s never done anything other than he said he would. I find it staggering that people can have issues with the bloke. Weā€™d all love a chairman to come in with a massive wealth to take us to the promised land, but we donā€™t, what we do have is a guy who is looking after the club nicely until the reigns are ready to be handed over.

Aug 13, 2006
Cornwall
Tugboat":31z6cfqp said:
The Duke":31z6cfqp said:
So JB says Adams has got a competitive budget but the manager says otherwise. Who do we believe?
Do you ever concur with Adams recent post match analysis?

I donā€™t and Iā€™m starting to think the bloke talks tripe

Thatā€™s true actually. Also he could have signed less players and brought in better quality I suppose.

May 16, 2016
The Duke":2obm1q2i said:
Tugboat":2obm1q2i said:
The Duke":2obm1q2i said:
So JB says Adams has got a competitive budget but the manager says otherwise. Who do we believe?

Thatā€™s true actually. Also he could have signed less players and brought in better quality I suppose.

He made a thing of his experience of the Scottish Transfer / loan rules ss things changed here. He said something along the lines of knowing how to deal with it. Upshot is that translates into getting the biggest squad you can. Unfortunately it seems safety in numbers hasn't worked so far for us this Season.

Sep 6, 2006
Tugboat":3kkjh2qv said:
The Duke":3kkjh2qv said:

Only 'starting' Tugboat?!

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":37fdmof8 said:
Martin":37fdmof8 said:
Well it seems DA knew we were going to struggle, he quite clearly knew the budget he was given and the players he was able to sign were simply not good enough. There needs to be changes starting at the top, starting with someone who will put the team first and properly development second!

Well said.

James Brent gets such a free ride on these boards. He's building HHP for business interests separate to that of the club, and some fans adore him for it.

Look at the state of the freebies and cast offs DA has had to sign. I saw Jamille Matt playing for Grimsby yesterday and caught myself thinking 'cor, wouldn't it have been good if we could have afforded him?' And he's playing for a midtable side in the division below on lower gates! The reality is we couldn't match Matt's wages, Reuben's wages etc. and have to rely on a non-league striker who will play for next to nothing. Our goalscorer is a teenager off the bench because we can't afford anything else.

Agreed. I think DA is culpable but the board are also to blame. But we need a change of manager now.

Jan 21, 2017
So if James Brent was so concerned about getting in additional income into PAFC as soon as possible, why find he saddle the club with the for personal profit hybrid scheme that is now likely to delay the PAFC planning application?
Martin

Jun 4, 2016
Leigh Rapson":1nfuhm63 said:
Knibbsworth":1nfuhm63 said:
Martin":1nfuhm63 said:

Well said.

Jamille matt didnā€™t going blackpool because of money but because it was much closer to home.

Budget is not low, so love how utter crap becomes fact just because a few people say it!

As for JB building something on his land that can generate him a profit, does it matter? What impact does it have on you? Is it a jealousy thing? That you canā€™t have it so now should he? Above all else JB is a businessman, thatā€™s not something to be negative about.

He promised that he would run the club in a sustainable way with moderate profits and would help supply money to develop the team, heā€™s never done anything other than he said he would. I find it staggering that people can have issues with the bloke. Weā€™d all love a chairman to come in with a massive wealth to take us to the promised land, but we donā€™t, what we do have is a guy who is looking after the club nicely until the reigns are ready to be handed over.

This..

Brent never promised any more than a club free of debt and properly run. Guys, he does not have the financial clout to offer the wages for proven 20 goal a season strikers. You cannot have one player paid excessively more than the other players at this level for a start. We all knew that at the time and we still know it now. What he is doing is sustaining our club and not putting us back in financial jepardy. If that means we are going to live in leagues 1/2 for a few more years as a well run club then that's fine by me. I would much rather that than push for the championship and fall from Grace in the spectacular fashion we did last time. (We may not get lucky with a buyer next time) I think we will get out of this rut in a few games and hopefully stay up this year but I think our level is now that of a good league 2 side whether we like it or not.

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Martin":16f0wvs9 said:
So if James Brent was so concerned about getting in additional income into PAFC as soon as possible, why find he saddle the club with the for personal profit hybrid scheme that is now likely to delay the PAFC planning application?
Martin

The grandstand refurb alone will not bring in the significant increase in income that is desired. The hotel multiplies the turnover potential many times and WILL benefit the club. The city wants the ice rink and JB is committed to deliver one. The rest of the stuff on HHP is going to finance it. Is that too difficult to understand?

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
The day Brent leaves will be the day supporters really appreciate what heā€™s done and probably see his departure as a great loss to the club.

Everything in between will be dissected, argued about and ultimately rejected by many but the bigger picture in 5/10 years time will be brighter for him having been here. That Iā€™m certain off.

Aug 13, 2006
Cornwall
Lundan Cabbie":fvq67z1s said:
Martin":fvq67z1s said:
Martin

The grandstand refurb alone will not bring in the significant increase in income that is desired. The hotel multiplies the turnover potential many times and WILL benefit the club. The city wants the ice rink and JB is committed to deliver one. The rest of the stuff on HHP is going to finance it. Is that too difficult to understand?

I didnā€™t realise it was an Argyle owned hotel!! The restaurants and Ice rink will be in direct competition with Argyle. Itā€™s very clear.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Lundan Cabbie":10n3v5z5 said:

That's not how I see it, at all. The previous HHP scheme had hotel, cinema and restaurants linked to PAFC as they were funding the grandstand.

On this one, the two are unrelated, bar 50% of the car park development profit which is anticipated to be negligible (according to JB and Simon Hallett at the last Fans Forum).

After that initial development, the turnover and profit of the hotel has no relationship with PAFC at all. The argument put forward by the board at that fans forum, was that the hotel and restaurants would merely benefit footfall to the Home Park site.

The increase in income comes from the hospitality facilities within the refurbished grandstand, which is funded by the Simon Hallett loan.

Have I got all of that right?

EDIT... you were probably referring to the footfall when you said 'the hotel multiplies the turnover potential many times' :facepalm:

Jul 18, 2011
The Duke":29w1wne0 said:
Lundan Cabbie":29w1wne0 said:
Martin":29w1wne0 said:
Martin

I didnā€™t realise it was an Argyle owned hotel!! The restaurants and Ice rink will be in direct competition with Argyle. Itā€™s very clear.

How many times...

No-one is claiming the hotel will be owned by us, but the fact it's there will make the conferencing facilities much more attractive and hence likely to make the club more money. There is a shortage of good hotels in Plymouth and having one on the doorstep will be very useful - for the club.

Restaurants in competition with us - exactly how? Maybe sell ten less pasties? Maybe the pasty vans should be banned from the area?

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Abbotts Ann Green":1qtatl64 said:
The Duke":1qtatl64 said:
Lundan Cabbie":1qtatl64 said:
Martin":1qtatl64 said:
Martin

How many times...

No-one is claiming the hotel will be owned by us, but the fact it's there will make the conferencing facilities much more attractive and hence likely to make the club more money. There is a shortage of good hotels in Plymouth and having one on the doorstep will be very useful - for the club.

Restaurants in competition with us - exactly how? Maybe sell ten less pasties? Maybe the pasty vans should be banned from the area?

Exactly.

Jan 21, 2017
Sorry I cannot help feeling PAFC have been used for JB's personal profit, and it doesn't feel good. Yes he is a business man and a reluctant owner, he is also a reluctant seller so it seems! If only JB would commit 50% of the development profit to the club, keeping 50% for himself, it might feel a whole lot better. Otherwise it smacks of using the club for personal gain.
Martin