Reality Check | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Reality Check

May 19, 2016
There will be 3 generations of my family to see Argyle at Wembley on Monday - whatever the result that makes me proud of my Argyle heritage

A

Alan Fortune

Alan.Frost wrote:
Hi all, time for a reality check despite the euphoria.
In my opinion the play off finals are more important to any club than a one off cup win such as the FA Cup. They are about the future. We may outnumber the AFC fans but it is the players performing at their absolute best, combined with a bit of luck that will decide the outcome, we will have no bearing whatsoever. AFC are no mugs and they have a good record against us.
See y'all Monday.

Another good example. Do you remember when Yeovil scraped a rather undeserved Wembley win against Brentford in the 2013 League 1 play-off final? Well, look at the 2 clubs now. The Bees are a strong Championship outfit who play attractive, attacking football. Yeovil almsot fell into the Conference. It just shows that well run clubs can come back stronger after a defeat at Wembley.

That said, we're going to win on Monday...please!

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
I donā€™t get some of the negativity ā€“ obviously anything could happen but whatā€™s the most likely? Are Wimbledon a better team? I certainly donā€™t think so and thatā€™s not being green tinted at all but based on performances this season and knowledge of what our players are capable of. With a noisy GA right behind them I think our lads are more likely to raise their game than freeze. Itā€™s nonsense to say the crowd doesnā€™t affect players ā€“ that would mean playing the game in an empty stadium would have the same outcome which is cobblers. Sure, in the end itā€™s the players, the manager, the tactics, the ref and luck that are the crucial things but the crowd is certainly a factor too that can make all the difference. I reckon the odds must be on our side so lā€™ll go for 2-nil.

Two things scare me though ā€“ Mellor diving in to give a penalty (and God forbid getting a simultaneous red) and Matt doing something stupid to get sent off. If I could be sure neither of those will happen (or similar) Iā€™d be very confident indeed. COYG!!!!

Edit to add quote from Carl McHugh about effect of fans on players..
ā€œ"If you were here for the [Portsmouth] game you could see it was clearly evident," said McHugh. "From probably the 65th or 70th minute onwards, the lift that the fans gave the team. It gave us that belief, and even though we missed a few chances we kept going, and there was that belief in the stadium that we were going to get the winner.ā€

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Ade the green":2cyy9646 said:
Lundan Cabbie":2cyy9646 said:
Broc's Pilgrimage":2cyy9646 said:
Rare to ever get to see and support your club at Wembley. what ever the outcome.

I never realised how deprived the Green Army have been when it comes to trips to Wembley compared to other clubs. I saw the other day that Morpeth and Hereford became the 198th and 199th teams to have played at Wembley (new and old) and join Argyle to become two of now 78 teams who have only been there once.

Torquay (6) and Tiverton Town (3) lead the way for Devon and Monday will see Argyle go level with those up the road.

At the top end Arsenal have played there 49 time with Manchester United two behind after last weekend. The most surprising was Dagenham & Redbridge in =13th position with along with neighbours West Ham United who have both been to the Twin Towers/Arch ten times. I guess they must have counted the various guises throughout the club's history.

I read somewhere once that Leyton Orient has played at Wembley the most times. Due mainly to having their stadium destroyed by the Luftwaffe they played post war matches at Wembley until their stadium was rebuilt. This could well be an urban myth though.

It was only two games whilst repairs were made to their ground following complaints to the FL by Torquay United. The crowds at Wembley were only around 2,000 so for the third and last game away from the Lea Bridge Stadium, they played an FA Cup tie at Highbury.