Reasons to be optimistic | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Reasons to be optimistic

Jul 29, 2010
Daz":2upipg0i said:
X Isle":2upipg0i said:
Well sorry but sanity has been conspicuously silent if it's a majority Frank. But yes, the shouty have been shoutier than Shouty McShoutyface :sad:

Normally i'd be at the vanguard of reason, defending sanity from the hoards of knee jerking surrender monkeys.

But combine the custard coloured defeatists with the wave of pathetic 'little plymouther' politics around the grandstand issues and the site turns me off massively at the moment. It's not that I lack the conkers for the fight. Afterall i'm right, we're not as bad as the "great and the good' say we are.

It's just that every time i've logged on recently the site is drowning in moaning minnies and Grandstand grandstanders, it bores the absolute ar5e off me.

Why waste my time trying to convince the seemingly unconvincible that we're not up a certain creek without a paddle and James Brent is not Satan incarnate.

So good luck with this thread guys but with just eight posts in 24 hours, 24 hours that has seen the 'politics of plymouth' thread expand well into the 20 pages bracket, very few are whistling the tune of sanity and reason.

Far from there being a sane majority Frank, most eyes are hopelessly navel gazing, miserably introverted by off field distractions, petty politics and myopic doom mongering.

THAT is the order of the moment, a moment that has gone on for 2-3 weeks now :yawn:

In fairness X'y the Grandstand thread may bore the t1ts off you, but its obviously important to a lot of posters. I don't see the navel gazing blah blah blah that you call it, i see a pretty good discussion going on from both sides.

You've been around long enough to know that the off field threads involving investors/chairmen/directors etc get the juices flowing and have always generated robust discussions on here. Farmergyles/Sainsbury/Mclondon threads went on forever!
Tru dat I suppose.

Perhaps it's just bad timing with the 'politics' threads. I have always tended to leave the grandstand and board threads alone, treat them as 'local issues for local people', all a bit 'village' to me. When I do pop in there's usually someone repeating the same point that's been made umpty thrumpty times before, followed by someone trotting out a straight bat with, again, the same counter as seen time and time again. It's stalemate as I see it, talk for talks sake. Maybe that's why nothing really ever gets done in Plymouth.

Note to self I guess : don't even pop in to those threads at all.

Usually though there's always been some football discussion to slake the thirst, to distract from the endless merry-go-round of local bickering. That's what's turning me off, it's absence presently.

All football related threads seem to come down to it being taken as a given that we are poo. Positivity is absent, the site is not discussing IF we're poo or not, it's discussing HOW poo we are. Are we poo because of the formation?, are we poo because of recruitment?, are we poo because of mentality or ability? The poo bit though, that's a given.

There are no green tints left, we'll apart from GA84 but all objectivity was lost long ago in that small corner of utopia. You'd have thought by now a) anyone with any positivity left would have contributed to the thread and b) the dyed in the wool brown tints would be all over this thread explaining why there is nothing positive apparent at Argyle.

But no, neither has happened. The positive set is so small and the negative set are so confident in our shitness that they see no threat from positivity thus feel no need to challenge it.

It's like the fanbase has just, almost to a man, given up, resigned themselves to a bad outcome.

That's not the green army I know and love, it's a bunch of quitters. It is horrible to witness, joyless to read...or not read as explained above re: this thread.

Where is the fight in the Green Army, the fire in the belly?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
I reckon there are plenty of green tints still around.

I've not posted much for the last few years, but i now have the work balance to have time for family/hobbies and Argyle and i'd say i'm pretty green tinted. I've stayed off the football threads as I've not seen enough of us playing.

Balham_Green":1w7pbtau said:
Fat_green_belly":1w7pbtau said:
For some i guess its hard to be optimistic at the moment what with the current league pos. On top of that argyle fans
traditionally not used to any sustained succes, so never going to be of the optimistic type. Then there is the good
old janner moaning mentality to consider too. So argyle fans and optimism will always make strange bedfellows i would say.
Still. Speaking with my old codger argyle head on here. Its way to early for lip quivering or knee jerking just yet.
Football is too unpredictable to be predictable. If that makes any sense?
There is always the next game to be optimistic about.
Thats the way i try to look at it these days. One game at a time.
And i find its far better for my health to be optimistic and cheery before a game and later peed off after losing.
Than being all gloomy and pessimistic beforehand and then peed off with it all after as well. Not ealthy it aint.
Although obviously being optimistic and then being deliriously happy after is the NHS natural healthiest solution.
So its argyle to win 3-0 saturday and super optimism abounds tonight here in downtown honicknowle.
Mind you DA must play 3 centre mids to prevent us from coming a cropper again .....aaagh bollox pessimism again.
Must be the blasted janner in me. Doh! :doh:

As a committed pessimist I completely disagree with all that. Surely its better for your health to expect the worst then not get too disappointed when it often happens(and pleasantly surprised when it doesn't). Works for me with Argyle. I have now mentally started preparing myself for relegation (whether that is realistic or not).
Well you do live in londun balham so your classed as a different species to us down ere in gods country.
Its all big smoke and doom and gloom up there.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Balham_Green":3t09l4at said:
As a committed pessimist .....

Geddon BG - really ? ;)

Apr 4, 2004
Hasn't anyone ever wondered why we get small crowds in relation to our city and catchment area?

My view on Argyle is that when the football is good ( football is an entertainment business) I will gladly go and spend my money at the turnstiles to watch and get my football fix in the only place that I want to watch football. Home park. But in my lifetime, apart from a few bright spots we have mostly always played poor football. At the moment I cannot watch, its so bad. I went to a handful of games last season, three I think. I went to the Charlton match this term. I was so jealous of their team. Even though they lost. I'm not just saying this because results aren't going our way. Our plan to get goals is shockingly basic and really it's just attritional football. I cannot support that. I follow our results read reports attend once in a blue moon. I have never for a moment stopped wishing that I can find something I like about our approach to football matches. But we seem to have turned a beautiful sport that is in most of the world a game of talent and technical ability into a game of stifling the opposition and the most crude approach to getting goals where we just depend on getting it up to the big guy or the fast guy. I cannot relate to this interpretation of football and once again I am in the midst of an Argyle holiday. With plenty of football on TV and other teams locally playing the beautiful game as it should be played there is no shortage of opportunities for me to get my football fix.
I have always wondered how many people feel the same way. I know several myself. The fans at Argyle have been served up drivel for as long as I can remember and I find it amazing that so many still go. I cannot believe that the people of Plymouth are all blind or stupid and can't see that we never play football like other teams do. When we played Liverpool we literally looked like a pub team that could barely string a few passes together. Yet Exeter played them a season or two before and caused them real problems. In fact Liverpool could have been knocked out. Why is that. Why can't we assemble a potent attacking force. Every year there are shocks in the cup and lowly team cause the big boys problems, but never us. Why is that. I think it's how we approach football. We are a very static team that first and foremost is built to be solid and resolute. But football matches are mostly won with bright clever inventive players with talent and vision. We only have Carey as a regular starter that ticks those boxes. I really thought Lameiras was a sure starter after pre season but no our system values solid defensive player and nothing else. It's so so dull. I'll never give up hope but my expectations are pretty low.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
vibratingspider":3fg71imb said:
Ave_IT":3fg71imb said:
2. We’ve played 4 of the top seven teams so far ….….. there are easier fixtures to come.
Obviously this diminishes over time, but I always think this is a weird thing to say at this stage of the season. They're in the top seven partly because they took 3 points off us. If we'd beaten them, they would probably be mid-table!
Point of pedantry....... You're completely wrong!

Deduct the three points from us from Posh and Blackpool- gives them 14 points from their seven games. That means they're averaging 2 points a game...... so add 2 points so now they've 'played' the same as the others gives them 16 points. Do the same for Scunny gives the 13 and a bit......... STILL TOP SEVEN......

(Oh and we beat Charlton so if you removed our game and gave them average for their other games they move up).
QED
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Ave_IT":ec2umq8j said:
vibratingspider":ec2umq8j said:
Ave_IT":ec2umq8j said:
2. We’ve played 4 of the top seven teams so far ….….. there are easier fixtures to come.
Obviously this diminishes over time, but I always think this is a weird thing to say at this stage of the season. They're in the top seven partly because they took 3 points off us. If we'd beaten them, they would probably be mid-table!

Deduct the three points from us from Posh and Blackpool- gives them 14 points from their seven games. That means they're averaging 2 points a game...... so add 2 points so now they've 'played' the same as the others gives them 16 points. Do the same for Scunny gives the 13 and a bit......... STILL TOP SEVEN......

(Oh and we beat Charlton so if you removed our game and gave them average for their other games they move up).
QED
Hence why I said *probably*. Point of pedantry - read the caveat! ;)

Anyway, you get the idea.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
vibratingspider":sxb8pm4p said:
Ave_IT":sxb8pm4p said:
vibratingspider":sxb8pm4p said:
Ave_IT":sxb8pm4p said:

QED
Hence why I said *probably*. Point of pedantry - read the caveat! ;)

Anyway, you get the idea.
Don’t try wriggling (or vibrating) spider – you’ve been trapped in your own web of sceptical wrong-ness. :wink: