Recommended Films | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Recommended Films

Adam

Pasoti Designer
🎫 ST Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Apr 5, 2010
We had a thread on here a while back about recommended reading, so thought we could do the same with films.

My entry - Memento (2000)

Really good film from Christopher Nolan (Batman, Inception, Interstellar, Oppenheimer) about a man with short-term memory loss trying to track down his Wife's murderer.

I think it was Oscar nominated too.

My 3 are -

1. Idiocracy.
Set in a future full of idiots - part movie, part prophecy.

2. Ravenous.
The 1999 Robert Carlyle film.
A gloriously demented film with a quite incredible score from Michael Nyman and Damon Albarn.

3. Purely Belter.
Film about two fans trying to find the right blag to see their team.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
⚽️ Player Sponsor ⚽️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
We had a thread on here a while back about recommended reading, so thought we could do the same with films.

My entry - Memento (2000)

Really good film from Christopher Nolan (Batman, Inception, Interstellar, Oppenheimer) about a man with short-term memory loss trying to track down his Wife's murderer.

I think it was Oscar nominated too.
Very good film mate. Definitely need to engage your brain though!

SurreyJanner

⚽️ Player Sponsor ⚽️
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 30, 2015
The Usual Suspects - after you've watched it, watch it again as you'll get a completely different perspective on things

Reactions: Ky dv

ChurPev

🎫 ST Donor 🎫
Jan 5, 2023
Godfather 2
Cinema Paradiso
Radio Days
Wow just seeing the words Cinema Paradiso makes me stop what I’m doing and wobble a little bit!
Could I add Three Colours Red
& any James Stewart western

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Didn't we do a film recommendation list a while ago too? Maybe I imagined it.

Anyway, my three:

Blade Runner (1982)
The king of science fiction films, and one which has proven to be the benchmark for so many sci-fi films afterwards. A perfect mix of sci-fi and film noir, plus arguably one of the greatest film scores by Vangelis. I've watched this film more times than I care to admit to, and I still find it totally engrossing. Time to die.

High Plains Drifter (1973)
I love westerns, but this one is different because of the supernatural angle of the film: is he the reincarnation of the previously killed marshal of the town?

The Big Blue (1988)
I could have picked Leon by Luc Besson (or The Fifth Element which is also superb), but this is my favourite Besson film about an unlikely subject (free-diving).

Sep 10, 2010
Eastbourne
My 3 are -

1. Idiocracy.
Set in a future full of idiots - part movie, part prophecy.

2. Ravenous.
The 1999 Robert Carlyle film.
A gloriously demented film with a quite incredible score from Michael Nyman and Damon Albarn.

3. Purely Belter.
Film about two fans trying to find the right blag to see their team.
It's a tad scary how some of the themes from Idiocracy seem to be playing out in real life in numerous political systems including our own!

To the original post and the in direct mention of Interstellar - I went into watching that without any knowledge of what the film was about. So very glad I did, I thought it was stunning and really engrossing - some of the moments of tension were so expertly delivered.

Thinking about less mainstream films, For anyone who likes quirky and or dark comedy, I'd suggest any of - "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" (one of my all time faves), "moonrise kingdom", "The Guest" and "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"

I always tell any action film aficionado's, if you haven't seen it, watch "The Raid". It is the most intense viewing experience and makes John Wick look like a PG film, not for the faint hearted!

Reactions: The Unseen Green
Sep 28, 2022
A very touching and moving film, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. It stars the recently deceased Alan Arkin and Sondra Locke and is the story of a deaf and dumb guy, played by Arkin, who falls for a much younger Locke but unfortunately it does not end well. In fact the ending is sudden and very tragic. I watched it on the TV one rainy afternoon not expecting it to be so stunning and was totally gobsmacked.It, s from 1970 and was Sondra Locke, s first film. Both her and Arkin were nominated for Oscars for their performances. It's based on a book of the same name. Definitely both worth seeking out

Last edited: