Relegation odds | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Relegation odds

May 14, 2023
If Norwich don’t go out to get a result on Saturday it will be a strange one. Yes, they have a +7 goal difference over Hull but if they lost at Birmingham by 3 or 4 with a weakened side, happy to lose… and Hull were to win 4-0 it would be a lot closer than Norwich would want it to be… I think they can’t afford to field a weakened side.
Also, I think they would want to avoid Ipswich in the first leg of the playoffs. So a 5th place finish is more attractive for them.

Jan 6, 2004
On days like this I am reminded of the last day of the 93/94 season when we needed to overturn a huge goal difference deficit (7 goals?) and hope Port Vale lost to get automatic promotion. We won 8-1 at Doncaster. Port Vale won sadly. Always been suspicious of that result though...

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
If Norwich don’t go out to get a result on Saturday it will be a strange one. Yes, they have a +7 goal difference over Hull but if they lost at Birmingham by 3 or 4 with a weakened side, happy to lose… and Hull were to win 4-0 it would be a lot closer than Norwich would want it to be… I think they can’t afford to field a weakened side.
Also, I think they would want to avoid Ipswich in the first leg of the playoffs. So a 5th place finish is more attractive for them.
Ipswich are the only one of the three sides they could face in a semi final that they have actually beaten this season! They drew the other game too. I think they'd much rather face Ipswich in a semi-final than risk having to face them in the final.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
On days like this I am reminded of the last day of the 93/94 season when we needed to overturn a huge goal difference deficit (7 goals?) and hope Port Vale lost to get automatic promotion. We won 8-1 at Doncaster. Port Vale won sadly. Always been suspicious of that result though...
At Hartlepool not Donny.

May 14, 2023
Ipswich are the only one of the three sides they could face in a semi final that they have actually beaten this season! They drew the other game too. I think they'd much rather face Ipswich in a semi-final than risk having to face them in the final.
I disagree with that as I believe in a final at Wembley, anything can happen. But hey, that’s just opinion. The other points are facts though.. they have to go all out on Saturday

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I disagree with that as I believe in a final at Wembley, anything can happen. But hey, that’s just opinion. The other points are facts though.. they have to go all out on Saturday
For me, I just feel like if you're going to face your rivals in the play-offs you'd want it to be in the semi-finals. You get the bragging rights if you win, and if you lose they can still lose in the final. If you play them in the final and lose you'd never hear the end of it.

May 14, 2023
For me, I just feel like if you're going to face your rivals in the play-offs you'd want it to be in the semi-finals. You get the bragging rights if you win, and if you lose they can still lose in the final. If you play them in the final and lose you'd never hear the end of it.
I guess it’s the difference between a glass half full outlook and a glass half empty. I’d rather have the bragging rights of a victory at Wembley.. anyway, let’s focus on Saturday. Norwich need a result

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
I bet £30 on Argyle to get relegated with Bet365 when the odds were 8-1. If we go down, there's a slight poetic justice in me taking a compensatory £240 from the Stoke City coffers!

• Wow
Reactions: Tugboat
Apr 30, 2006
I'm sure that Norwich will be going for it. Quite apart from wanting to avoid the 3rd placed team (very likely Leeds) I think you want to be going into the play-offs with positive momentum not off the back of a loss.

Regardless though we just need to concentrate on our own match, make Home Park a cauldron and pull out one last big performance.

Dec 29, 2011
I am not so sure about Norwich going for it.People on their forum saying Barnes is likely to miss the game through injury ( Not that he is is likely to help Argyle anyway)and Sargent may be rested.Apparently Wagner has previous at Huddersfield for playing weakened teams .Let us hope he does the decent thing as I cannot honestly see Argyle saving themselves on their own merits.I am ashamed to say I lumped money on Argyle going down also after that 2nd half shambles at Stoke.The odds were just too good .I really hope I lose my money

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
It was 10/1 over here. Madness. Let's just say it's an offset. I'll be miserable, but at least it's something for consolation and my wife will be happy.