Rotherham match day thread | Page 16 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rotherham match day thread

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Agreed. Though I think our tactics actually suit playing the better sides.

We’ve taken points against Charlton, Blackburn, Shrewsbury (we were so very nearly the team to end their unbeaten record), Bradford and Rotherham. So in theory we shouldn’t really be too wary of these ‘big’ clubs.

It’s the games where we’re expected to win, I worry about.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Tugboat":1w2mbb4u said:
philmeboots":1w2mbb4u said:
Tugboat":1w2mbb4u said:
Surely the need for such defensive cover for our fullbacks highlights the weakness of the LB/RB areas?

I understand the need to cover them when certain play dictates but to have, effectively a winger/wide man playing subconsciously as a wingback stifles our attacking play from the offset.

The same goes having Songo’o playing just in front the back 4. It’s a man taken from another area to cover defensive frailties

Don’t really understand the Songo comment he’s either a defender or naturally a defensive midfielder who tend to play somewhere in front of the back four. Deeper obviously if you’re defending.

His best position is playing just in front of the back 4 offering extra protection but having him do that effectively makes us less efficient in the final 3rd where another midfielder may have been helping the ball get further up the pitch.

It’s more like having 3 CB’s rather than 2 CB’s and a CDM.

I’d still like to see see Oscar play that role. Defensive minded but also able to start off an attacking movement from deep.

Songo’o rarely thinks offensive which to be fair isn’t his doing. We need a player in that position that can switch defence to offence from deep. A bit like Fox can do but better.

I think that's the reason he's been left out in favour of Fox recently.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Biggs":2upghnyx said:

We’ve taken points against Charlton, Blackburn, Shrewsbury (we were so very nearly the team to end their unbeaten record), Bradford and Rotherham. So in theory we shouldn’t really be too wary of these ‘big’ clubs.

That sounds right to me. We have done well in all our six-pointers to date, with them needing all 3 points. We've also done well against the top teams who come here expecting to roll us over. It's the ones who are happy to sit back for a point who we struggle against, Chris Errington pointed that out yesterday on the radio commentary and though that the sending off would make them sit back for a point and it would adversely effect our tactics.

Sep 6, 2006
GreenThing":3qwxlz5k said:
Biggs":3qwxlz5k said:

That sounds right to me. We have done well in all our six-pointers to date, with them needing all 3 points. We've also done well against the top teams who come here expecting to roll us over. It's the ones who are happy to sit back for a point who we struggle against, Chris Errington pointed that out yesterday on the radio commentary and though that the sending off would make them sit back for a point and it would adversely effect our tactics.

Not sure there are many teams this season happy to sit back for a point against us. They are seeking 3 points.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Metal_Green_Mickey":3v05g5xs said:
Biggs":3v05g5xs said:
That would be assuming the same levels of effort, mentality and gameplan in those two cup games, while the entire focus of the club is on the league. Which certainly wouldn’t be the case in a Checkatrade game and probably wasn’t the case v Bradford given the relatively gung-ho and open performance. Quite apart from there literally being no points at stake, so not relevant to a league discussion.

But you make a good point re creating chances and the league table looks ‘relatively’ (note the emphasis on that word before I get ridiculed by others) good. No doubt we’re both equally desperate for a win v Oldham, and just as desperate to see who comes in during the transfer window.

Very much so. Away from home there is a tad more space. At home though l am concerned about how we break teams down in order to score more.

With regards to Oldham my concern for that match is Doyle. He seems in good goal scoring form for them.

Doyle has scored 14 goals on 21 appearances, his loan deal ends in January and Scunthorpe will apparently offer Preston £300,000 for him.

Apr 29, 2016
Tugboat":3bf86xge said:
philmeboots":3bf86xge said:
Tugboat":3bf86xge said:
Surely the need for such defensive cover for our fullbacks highlights the weakness of the LB/RB areas?

I understand the need to cover them when certain play dictates but to have, effectively a winger/wide man playing subconsciously as a wingback stifles our attacking play from the offset.

The same goes having Songo’o playing just in front the back 4. It’s a man taken from another area to cover defensive frailties

Don’t really understand the Songo comment he’s either a defender or naturally a defensive midfielder who tend to play somewhere in front of the back four. Deeper obviously if you’re defending.

His best position is playing just in front of the back 4 offering extra protection but having him do that effectively makes us less efficient in the final 3rd where another midfielder may have been helping the ball get further up the pitch.

I’d still like to see see Oscar play that role. Defensive minded but also able to start off an attacking movement from deep.

Songo’o rarely thinks offensive which to be fair isn’t his doing. We need a player in that position that can switch defence to offence from deep. A bit like Fox can do but better.

Can understand where you're coming from, but surely the whole point of having a defensive midfielder in front of the back four is that you don't want them further up the pitch. They're there for "insurance", to allow the other midfielders to be even more attacking and release them more from their defensive duties. Songo'o is also very physical where Oscar can often be pushed aside, like we saw at Yeovil. Don't get me wrong I know that Songo'o is not a good ball player but if you're playing a defensive midfielder in that role, he's probably the best one that we have at the moment IMO. Diagouraga my be the best alternative but could be wasted that deep.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
GreenThing":1mjkofbr said:
Tugboat":1mjkofbr said:
philmeboots":1mjkofbr said:
Tugboat":1mjkofbr said:

I think that's the reason he's been left out in favour of Fox recently.
If Songo'o rarely thinks offensive and you look at the many critical comments on here about the manager's formation/tactics, you would think Songo'o would be first name down for this manager? That said, each of the few times I have seen him he would be my first pick week in week out. Teams where we are in the league need a warrior and he definitely is one.