Sheridan asks Brent for more funds. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan asks Brent for more funds.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Well we're only assuming things here to be honest. Perhaps Sheridan knows he has the budget left for these last 2 players, he's been mentioning the intention to bring them in for a while - the Herald has been reporting the expectant arrival of a right sided defender and versatile midfielder who can play centrally and wide for a while. Maybe he just meant that he'll be approaching the chairman and co to get the business done. He may also anticipate potential changes to the budget, with the sale of Conor and the potential boost in shirt sales? Plenty to consider there. It is interesting that he phrased it to the media in the way he did, but we could similarly be reading a whole load of something from nothing.

Jul 29, 2010
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. I agree.

But even if that hypothetical scenario were the case, it should still be 'in house'. Good, bad or neutral, it stays 'in house'.

A tight ship doesn't leak.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The article, or indeed Sheridan, doesn't mention a budget or asking for more funds or that a budget has been blown.
It seems to me that Sheridan has his targets and would like them signed up quickly by the club officials.

Jul 29, 2010
.....but to reiterate, I'm a Sheridan supporter, I'm not here to pick sides or score points, I just make an observation of disapproval on one point.

I want the club to stay solvent and clear it's debts and I want the team to breeze to a quick and dazzling promotion. Doing both is gonna be nigh on impossible though, completely impossible without unity of purpose.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
Slow news day today? " Manager asks chairman for more funds". ALL managers want more funds, it is hardly a news item.

Jul 29, 2010
Unless we're on the absolute cusp of promotion any unbudgeted income should be going to service our debts Graham.

By 2016 we need to have paid that money, tick follows tock follows tick.......

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
X Isle":2in4gzau said:
Unless we're on the absolute cusp of promotion any unbudgeted income should be going to service our debts Graham.

I agree X Isle, however I think only half of unbudgeted income goes towards paying off the debt, the rest going to running the club or being made available to the manager. We need a bit of luck with a couple of good cup runs which would knock a big dent in the remaining debt.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i think we have enough players.let's get our mini army of coaches to get them playing properly!in their correct positions would be a good start!

Jul 29, 2010
Much like a credit card though KiG, the smart thing to do is pay the balance, not just make the minimum payment.

Some kind draws in the cup would sure help.

Aug 24, 2011
Starnes is at the q and a tomorrow with wottsy, il ask the question about the additional funds for players tomorrow and let you know what he says!

Sep 28, 2011
I'd say go with what we've got.,let them gel.

If it doesn't stick then prod around in sept/Oct. Failing that,balls deep in January window.

Sep 6, 2006
X Isle":3idu57kz said:
.....but to reiterate, I'm a Sheridan supporter, I'm not here to pick sides or score points, I just make an observation of disapproval on one point.

I want the club to stay solvent and clear it's debts and I want the team to breeze to a quick and dazzling promotion. Doing both is gonna be nigh on impossible though, completely impossible without unity of purpose.

Im sure there is unity of purpose. Everybody wants the same thing. We know you rarely go to games so are not bothered by the product. One things for sure - if we continue in mid table we are never going to pay off the debts.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Personally I think the team is just about there, if Sheridan needs a face or two more I hope that he will make use of the loan market rather than go out and sign another player where we are likely to be paying all of the players wages ourselves.

I don't want us falling into the same trap we fell into last year. By that I mean Sheridan putting together a team and then adding to it whenever things went a bit wrong. Last season we thought we had the spine of a decent enough team before Southend with maybe one or two more additions to be made, by the time the transfer window opened up again in January however, we'd brought in no fewer than 7 players in the form of Lavery, Hayes, Obadeyi, Reckord, Trotman, Bencherif and Thomas!

I think we've got a good side as it stands and have made some good additions this summer. I'd like to see us sign another winger, yes. Maybe we could do with a more attacking minded midfielder as I feel Cox and Norburn both seem to play very deep. However this "one more, one more, one more" attitude led to us signing way too many average players last season and we finished off the year with a bloated squad, presumably a huge wage bill and only a slight improvement to show for it in the end. As fans it's easy for us to keep wanting more, especially when results don't go our way, another new face always sparks that feeling of "maybe he'll be the one to do it for us" but JS as our manager has got to be above that and know when enough signings are enough and whether the team can achieve what is asked of it.

Let's not fall into the same old traps please JS, is all I'm saying...

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
X Isle":1ew8rkm2 said:

In financial terms it's already been a good summer for the club. The sale of Hourihane raised £200,000 and the announcement of two live TV games will bring in another £40,000 in total. A few high earners in Blanchard, Cole and Hourihane left the club and I would safely predict their replacements – Hartley, Bittner and Norburn – will be on lower wages.
A coach was replaced with a player-coach which saves a bit more cash.

Season ticket sales are slightly up on last year, we have a new shirt sponsor and the new shirts seem to be selling well.
The game against Swansea brought in a good crowd and I’d doubt if Swansea would ask for much of the gate receipts.
Our first home game of the season will give us one of our highest crowds of the season.

The income from the Hourihane sale, the TV games and gate receipts from the Swansea game will be unbudgeted and split between paying our debts and running the football club.

It’s not millions of pounds but every little helps!

Due to the last regime dropping us in the brown stuff it's now all about managing a football team AND the debt.

Aug 15, 2008
I wonder who the player is that's at a club and playing pre-season? Quite a few to pick from.....

I would like us to sign a number 10 type player.

However, a pacy winger and a fullback that can play either side would be a priority.

I am cautiously optimistic about the season ahead. The club is finally moving forward and the recovery is in its end phase.

The grandstand issue needs sorting - it is holding the club back on and off the pitch. It is a complicated and costly mission and we all hope for a positive outcome soon. It is not easy nor cheap to do but I trust JB will try all avenues to deliver the project.

Much hinges on this season with the mission to get out of this league. It's the aim stated across the spectrum of Plymouth Argyle. The chairman, manager, players, supporters are all unified in purpose.

We always do our part and will do so again!