So, your thoughts on the Championship? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

So, your thoughts on the Championship?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
So now we've avoided relegation and can look forward to another season in 'Premier League 2' what are your thoughts on our season in the Championship?

For me, it was tougher than what I thought, every game was a battle and every point gained was so important.

Also, I expected the standard of referees and linesmen to be higher than League One so it was a surprise that big mistakes were made. In general play referees did ok but when it came to big decisions they often went against us.

Dubai Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 15, 2008
Singapore
It’s nuts that losing £13m a year is the norm. Indeed, that it’s had to be capped at that to stop clubs spaffing even more. What chance everyone else?

But am I disappointed to get another chance at it? Hell no - some great clubs, some great football, where it all started for me as a fan (decades ago 😬) and more profile. And wonderful to show the others that it can all be done sustainably.

Oh, and perhaps most importantly, the least the Halletts deserve…

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
It seems a “confidence/belief“ league, teams can get in a rut and lose a bunch, then they get going again and win a half dozen in a row. League position isn’t always a factor, so competitive. Last day of the season and all the relegation threatened teams win, madness.

Reactions: MustardEagle
Oct 1, 2013
I know all fans will moan that everything goes against their club, refs are biased, lady luck hates them etc etc.

But i genuinely believe Argyle have had horrendous misfortune this season. And despite winning the league last year, even then they had to do it in record breaking fashion.

The season before was 80 points to not even make playoffs... and this year 51 to stay up!

Add that to numurous decisions and moments which have gone against us this season... Mumba's goal at Southampton, Bundu's penalty at Ipswich, Coventry's goal at the CBS and then last second equaliser at homepark off a deflection.
Galloways deflected own goal against Ipswich... Hardie and Bundu's injuries at the same time...

the Championship is a cruel and brutal league when things arent going your way. We have very starkly found that this season... and we will need to seriously strengthen in the summer to have a shot at competing next year.

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Its an exciting league. Any team on their day can beat each other. Big stadiums with big infrastructure, youth facilities and stupid eye watering debt.
Its great we have stayed up and HP is still a hard place for teams to come too.

The summer will be exciting, who stays, who goes who knows.

May 22, 2006
It's hard to process. Trying to predict results is just a mug's game. Everyone in the bottom eight won today except Huddersfield. Leicester and Leeds did their absolute best to bottle it. Who would have predicted Ipswich going straight up?

Week after week we watched on in horror, as our relegation rivals picked up unexpected points against the top sides. No doubt they did the same when we beat Leicester.

It's going to be even tighter next season. I don't expect anyone to "do a Rotherham" and the relegation spots will be a proper bun fight. I'd love us to finish fifteenth, it gets a bit exhausting always being involved at either end of the table, but without serious investment we may be doing this all over again in twelve months.

Just glad it's over.

What fills me with confidence is the certainty I’ve noticed over the years that most teams which look over the cliff and just avoid relegation tend to do better the next season. It’s as though the wake-up call has jolted the entire club, and standards are consequently raised. Can’t wait for next season.

Reactions: Greengo
Oct 31, 2015
We are a small fish in this large pond and the standard of the top 6 is just brutal.

Outside the play offs then anyone can beat anyone on their day.

Mistakes are dealt with much more harsher than lg1. The pace, strength and fitness are a different level.

Saying that I think we would have been safe a few weeks ago if

1. $$ hadn't left
2. We didn't make that mad appointment of the England elite.

Summer to recoupe and the club officials have a really busy summer to rebuild. New manager, back room staff, lots of new players needed, some to off load and investment needed.

Probably a harder pre season than last summer

Said old Green

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 3, 2023
An incredibly competitive and tough league. The sheer number of games against good quality opposition makes it a grind.

We will have to completely revamp our squad to have a chance of staying up and avoid being the Rotherham next season.

Can Mr Hallett find investors and put that money into the playing personnel or can we get sufficient funds from players sales ? I genuinely don't know but it will be a massive struggle if we can't.