Sporting Lisbon and Morgan | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sporting Lisbon and Morgan

Argyologist

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 4, 2012
This actually makes a lot of sense.

Sporting know that they can effectively treble their investment on talent from the Championship as they will prove this summer with Gyorkeres.

Chelsea wouldn't be seen dead buying a player for $20m from Coventry but would be more than happy to spend $50-$60m on the same player 12 months later from Sporting Lisbon.

They will be considering moving for Morgs as their next $30m profit player holding him for 12 months, before selling an English lad back to the Prem - telling us all that they know he was that that good...

Pretty confidernt they will buy at least one player from the Champ this summer...

Reactions: stefcf
Nov 18, 2011
Sporting already have an exciting, English attacking midfielder with a lovely left foot in Marcus Edwards. Perhaps he'll be sold for a lot of money to a Premier League club then replaced with Whittaker.

Reactions: Deacster
Jun 27, 2019
This may not be a popular view but I don't think Whittaker is good enough (yet) for a top club. We know he has a wand of a left foot but his overall game is too one-dimensional to make him successful against top defenders.

His record against the best teams in our league this season has been poor - 1 goal and 1 assist in 10 games against Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich and Southampton.

Someone will take a punt on him purely because of his goal tally, but in my view there isn't enough there to worry top-flight defenders.

Very well put, totally agree.
That record against the top 4 is quite telling. Of course, the service he got/gets from his teammates (like Azaz) made/makes a difference, with better players around him he can only improve. But as you said, his goal tally alone will bring attention - and with it big offers, hopefully.

Reactions: WoodsyGreen

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
This may not be a popular view but I don't think Whittaker is good enough (yet) for a top club. We know he has a wand of a left foot but his overall game is too one-dimensional to make him successful against top defenders.

His record against the best teams in our league this season has been poor - 1 goal and 1 assist in 10 games against Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich and Southampton.

Someone will take a punt on him purely because of his goal tally, but in my view there isn't enough there to worry top-flight defenders.
Football is all about the environment and systems though. Swansea did not let Whittaker go for £1m thinking we’d sell him for many multiples of that 12 months later.

When I compare Whittaker to Mackie and Bolasie who seemed to have done well in the premier league he’s leagues ahead.

GU7Green

✅ Evergreen
May 10, 2022
Godalming, Surrey
If he was to leave then a club like Sporting would be absolutely ideal. Outside of the UK so he’d be “out of sight, out of mind”.

I love Morgs and bar Carey, Friio and Paul Wotton he’s my favourite ever player so I wouldn’t have that angst of seeing him in another teams shirt.

In fact they actually would be perfect for me, I’ve always liked them, for the obvious reasons given the green and white but also they’ve been in the shadow of Benfica for a good while. That also works for me as I viscerally loathe Manchester United actually as much as I love Argyle (“matron…..the blinds please….”) so the green and white vs the red shirt thing has a pleasing symmetry for me.

Anyway, there will be plenty more of these I suspect but if he went there I’d absolutely take that and I’d also go and get a game in there I think, Lisbon’s a wonderful city.

Jun 27, 2019
Football is all about the environment and systems though. Swansea did not let Whittaker go for £1m thinking we’d sell him for many multiples of that 12 months later.

When I compare Whittaker to Mackie and Bolasie who seemed to have done well in the premier league he’s leagues ahead.
Totally agree, but within those systems clubs will still expect their wingers to be able to beat defenders. That isn't a part of Morgan's game because he doesn't have the pace or trickery. He has to work quite hard to get himself into shooting positions but the division has worked him out now so he's almost never able to cut in and shoot anymore. Without that, there's not much threat there.

Just to emphasise, this isn't a 'Morgan bad' post. He's a quality player at our level but unless something drastic happens I think the Championship is probably his ceiling.

Jan 5, 2011

I wonder the same, whether he is ready, but on the other hand I think having better players around him may well help.

Oct 31, 2015
Well that all does make sense. He would go down in our history thats for sure

May 22, 2006
My son, who is in Lisbon, mentioned this last month. They want£100m for Gorykes first.

Guess this is old news that didn’t gain much momentum as not a lot of truth in it.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011

The Portuguese league is like the Scottish one, 3 huge teams, a couple of decent ones and some that aren't even Championship standard.

Even if he struggles against the top teams he'll probably still return good numbers. The exposure to European football will be huge for him as well.

Jun 27, 2019
The Portuguese league is like the Scottish one, 3 huge teams, a couple of decent ones and some that aren't even Championship standard.

Even if he struggles against the top teams he'll probably still return good numbers. The exposure to European football will be huge for him as well.
Yeah, but Sporting are in European competition year in year out and will want players who can make an impact at that level - especially if they're parting with €15m+.