Starnes : concerns re "talent drain" from Argyle | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Starnes : concerns re "talent drain" from Argyle

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Youngsters taken into Palarse's academy over the next 12 months (or less) will have to meet the height/can you lump it long? quotient. So much for development!

Oct 1, 2006
Surrey
Lundan Cabbie":32oigoyb said:
Penmaster":32oigoyb said:
Everything I read about it seems to screw over smaller clubs. We have had a few players who could have gone on to command 6 figure fees taken from us for a pittance.

When this initially came out, I'm sure there a couple of posters on here who were able to put up a decent counter argument for this system having some positive elements for small clubs. I can't remember who it was or what was said - if it was you or you know of a balanced argument can post it again please? This just seems sickeningly unfair that I can't believe that the football league has bent over and taken it.

How about thinking about it from the kids' point of view? They get to move to a bigger accademy with the prospect of a greater rate of development. The compensation is for what the club have put into a youngster's development up to the transfer, not for how they might develop in the future. The few players you mention may become six figure pospects BECAUSE they moved on and may not do so if they had stayed.

This is very true. It is wrong of clubs to stand in the way and gamble with the future of a young player who can accelerate their development at a better academy.

Although worth remembering that they would never have become 'six figure prospects' without the club that first gave them their chance at all (other clubs may have picked them up, or other sports, or regular jobs)

The system needs to address this better in terms of improving ALL academies. As reward for producing players that are good enough to be recruited higher up the pyramid they should get better financial rewards. This will allow them to better develop the youngsters they still have and those in the future to the mutual benefit of those clubs above them in the pyramid (who will get more decent players to pick from), the national team (something the PL obviously don't give a toss about), and the club the payers start at. If they keep doing this well eventually they will move up the pyramid as their reward (something that the system doesn't promote - they like the status quo for some reason? ££££££)

Apr 30, 2011
Lundan Cabbie":npolfsx7 said:
Penmaster":npolfsx7 said:
Everything I read about it seems to screw over smaller clubs. We have had a few players who could have gone on to command 6 figure fees taken from us for a pittance.

When this initially came out, I'm sure there a couple of posters on here who were able to put up a decent counter argument for this system having some positive elements for small clubs. I can't remember who it was or what was said - if it was you or you know of a balanced argument can post it again please? This just seems sickeningly unfair that I can't believe that the football league has bent over and taken it.

How about thinking about it from the kids' point of view? They get to move to a bigger accademy with the prospect of a greater rate of development. The compensation is for what the club have put into a youngster's development up to the transfer, not for how they might develop in the future. The few players you mention may become six figure pospects BECAUSE they moved on and may not do so if they had stayed.

That wasnt the argument someone raised before but that is ome consideration. However, it is of no benefit whatsoever to smaller clubs.

Does anybody know how the system works in Europe?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I am not fully conversant with the rules. After the initial fixed fee, which is really for nothing more than the player's cost of development and potential, are there fixed add-ons for say 25, 50, 100 PL appearances, plus more for U/21 and full caps? We could also add 20% of any future fees with a cap of say £5M. If there are no supplementaries then there should be. As I see it, decent and mandatory add-ons would balance things out a bit. The PL club would pay a reasonable amount for potential, but the club who discovered the lad would then benefit from their initial foresight in seeing the talent if the player reached the very top. It is so annoying to see the PL awash with money and the FL72, especially the lower reaches, getting more impoverished with every season that passes.

Oct 23, 2013
Block 12
The season Luke Shaw broke into the Southampton first team he could (under this rule) of been signed by Man U for just £123,000 and 2 seasons after making his league debut he has been sold for £27m plus add ons (just under 220 times the amount they would of got under this rule).

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
tagz":3spki16k said:
The season Luke Shaw broke into the Southampton first team he could (under this rule) of been signed by Man U for just £123,000 and 2 seasons after making his league debut he has been sold for £27m plus add ons (just under 220 times the amount they would have got under this rule).

And Bournemourh benefitted big time and good for them but what did they really do to earn that? They signed him as a kid and really it was no more than a finders fee rather than compensation for the development they provided at that early age.

This shouldn't be about retaining a piece of the pie.

P

pafcstafford

Lundan Cabbie":1efgeoug said:
tagz":1efgeoug said:
The season Luke Shaw broke into the Southampton first team he could (under this rule) of been signed by Man U for just £123,000 and 2 seasons after making his league debut he has been sold for £27m plus add ons (just under 220 times the amount they would have got under this rule).

And Bournemourh benefitted big time and good for them but what did they really do to earn that? They signed him as a kid and really it was no more than a finders fee rather than compensation for the development they provided at that early age.

This shouldn't be about retaining a piece of the pie.

Shouldn't it Mr Lundan, do you expect clubs like ours to fund academies coaches scouts and players with a future career out of the kindness of our hearts for Pl sides? I've said it before but because off epp we should scrap everything kid wise and let the premier league carry the burden and then say cheers once they are picked up for free at 16 and onwards.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Sorry but have to disagree here

I think the EPP is appalling but Argyle can benefit in other ways than simply bringing players through, By recruiting players through and into COE centres they are giving back to their communities and also providing Kids with an outlet.

Whilst doing this they could offer free entry to games for COE kids with parents buying a ticket for £10 in a way to encourage kids to come to their games and watch the Pro's

this would in turn potentially lead to a larger fan base albeight at reduced rates but why not think of it as a small payment for all the parents do in running these kids about for the clubs to disregard them?

For every gosling there are 10 Dan O'Hagans remember and this would provide two positives for the club

Apr 30, 2011
edengreen":2a8ekw9e said:
Sorry but have to disagree here

I think the EPP is appalling but Argyle can benefit in other ways than simply bringing players through, By recruiting players through and into COE centres they are giving back to their communities and also providing Kids with an outlet.

Whilst doing this they could offer free entry to games for COE kids with parents buying a ticket for £10 in a way to encourage kids to come to their games and watch the Pro's

this would in turn potentially lead to a larger fan base albeight at reduced rates but why not think of it as a small payment for all the parents do in running these kids about for the clubs to disregard them?

For every gosling there are 10 Dan O'Hagans remember and this would provide two positives for the club

You're right that, if this is what it is, then we need to be a lot smarter in finding a way to benefit from it.

I'd rather all supporters of L1 and L2 clubs boycotted Sky Sports until it was made fairer. That is the only way I can see to hurt the PL clubs who undoubtedly support this process.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Boycott. Hmm.
Not subscribing from home, fine.
Missing the first chance to watch Argyle this season come next weekend, vs Lootown, not palatable. Never reading a discarded Sun or Mail sports page, palatable. Missing most England games (matches not joke friendlies), doable. Not watching sky Sports News on transfer deadline evening, easy.