Stoke City v Argyle - the build up | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Stoke City v Argyle - the build up

Who do you think will win?

• Stoke

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • Argyle

Votes: 120 45.8%
  • I'll take a draw

Votes: 121 46.2%

• Total voters

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
BG you are correct, highest scorers the previous season but the caveat they could not have been promoted, or qualified for Europe.

Also from 1971 there was the revised offside law which only operated from the penalty area line instead of halfway.

So we lost one nil at home to Stoke in 1973...but at least we went out to the winners and technically the holders as the tournament ended that season. Having said that, the trophy was sold at auction when the competition was ended and bought by Derby Museum and donated to Derby County. A Stoke supporter spotted it in their trophy room and the clubs then arranged a share deal (Derby the first winners, Stoke the last). Stoke probably had more room in their cabinet.

The other winners were Colchester who beat WBA on penalties and Bristol Rovers who beat Sheffield United, ironically after a nil nil draw, 7-6 on penalties

Stoke beat Hull 2-0 at home to win it.

Main claim to fame....staged first ever British penalty shoot-out, when Manchester United beat Hull with Hull's keeper missing the vital spot kick, Ian McKechnie.... Best took the first ever penalty kick in such a format, and Denis Law missed the first ever kick in one.

Time for a lie down.....

Reactions: greenSE1

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Houghton in the pre match interview
IMG_1168.pngIMG_1169.png

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Neil pre match presser

IMG_1171.pngIMG_1172.png

Aug 4, 2011
Anyway....

I hope Ennis gets a decent reception. Can't blame him for leaving when he did. Served the length of his contract. Had we had a crystal ball in 21/22, we should've offered him a new longer deal.

Really stepped up in our title winning season. He was superb towards the end of the season. His involvement in our equaliser away at Shrews stands out.
He did indeed and for his celebration in front of the big bank alone he should be omitted any booing :D

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

Apr 30, 2011
I'm expecting this to be an extremely tough game and I think a different stoke will turn up to that of recent games.
$$ knows our players and Nancesnip inside out, stoke fans could also fill the stadium and make it hostile like we did against at HP Leicester.

This is the time for Hallets philosophy of outsmarting the opponents needs to happen. Nancesnip need to show their best poker face and play an Ace.. We need the fans, however many we take up to sing as loud as the full house at HP against Leicester..

1 game of absolute concentration , passion energy and commitment..
Nance needs to get the apparent reason $$ left pinned up in the changing room as added motivation.

And I do hope before the game their is no niceties from anyone towards $$, let's keep our eyes on the prize.

We've got this boys..
COYG
Totally agree with this post.

What I'd do (having been quite successful at CM over the years) is start with Hardie and Whittaker on the bench. Maybe even Mumba as well.

Play a bit more solid with less attacking players on the pitch, get to 60/65 minutes at 0-0 then bring Hardie, Whittaker and Mumba on and really take the game to them for the last half an hour. I think that would catch Schuey out as no doubt this week they would have been working on how to nullify those three.

Oct 14, 2015
Totally agree with this post.

What I'd do (having been quite successful at CM over the years) is start with Hardie and Whittaker on the bench. Maybe even Mumba as well.

Play a bit more solid with less attacking players on the pitch, get to 60/65 minutes at 0-0 then bring Hardie, Whittaker and Mumba on and really take the game to them for the last half an hour. I think that would catch Schuey out as no doubt this week they would have been working on how to nullify those three.
Sorry PM can’t agree with even contemplating having Whittaker Hardie(maybe) or Mumba on the bench.

What if we are 3-0 down at this time and it’s not 0-0 ??

Reactions: greengodwin
Oct 20, 2015
Very short odds for a Stoke win. I can't really understand this unless there's been a tsunami of bets on a home win.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240418_192846_Paddy Power.jpg
    Screenshot_20240418_192846_Paddy Power.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 15
Aug 4, 2011
1.8 (or 4/5) isn’t very short. 1.88 on the exchanges which pretty accurately represents % chance, 1.88 converts to a 53% chance. Lay it if you think it’s too short, looks generous to me

Reactions: Balham Green
Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
I don't need to reset my sat nav when I've seen it with my own eyes! :ROFLMAO: Formby to Stoke can be done in an hour if you leave at the right time.

Look at a map, you have to cross the path of the M6, which goes to Stoke, in order to get to the M60, if you start from Formby, whether you're on the M62, M58 or East Lancs road.

The extent to which I know this is if I were to drive to Stoke from where I am right now (Media City, which is within the M60), I would have to cross the path of the M60 to join the M62 to get to the M6!
As I said, the post talked about Stoke to Formby…..
M6 M62 M60 M6 - Roadworks, hold ups . I agree, set off at the right time and maybe it’s possible to get there in an hour. The right time being 4am
Is Formby significant because many Liverpool//Everton footballers live around there? The nearest beach to Stoke? I can’t remember why we’re even discussing it!

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
M6 M62 M60 M6 - Roadworks, hold ups . I agree, set off at the right time and maybe it’s possible to get there in an hour. The right time being 4am
Is Formby significant because many Liverpool//Everton footballers live around there? The nearest beach to Stoke? I can’t remember why we’re even discussing it!
There's no way you can get from Stoke to Formby beach in an hour 😂....it's 70 miles & not motorway all the way...& you go nowhere near the M60.

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
I think we're discussing it because you don't know where it is relative to Manchester or Stoke 🤣

Reactions: Paul green14