Sturrock says promotion nailed on. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sturrock says promotion nailed on.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Said it way before 'hot tub' did :)

Could we have some more announcements about the coop renovations and farmyard parking though please.

Aug 5, 2016
esmer":avunjkqu said:
Still a lot of work to do so not "nailed on" but it would be very disappointing if we screwed it up from here.

It would require a Carlisle-esque drop in form to become a debacle of historic proportions.

Argyle could have form which matches Newport and Leyton Orient until the end of the season and we'd still get promoted from here.

To mess this up we need to start playing Conference standard football after being in the top 3 all season. To imagine that standard, it's worse than: Jake Cole, Durrell Berry, Guy Branston, Maxine Blanchard...etc. We bottled it a touch last season with the costly errors in pressure games, but we never had anything like 8 straight losses on the bounce form.

The collapse so many of you fear is a bet so unprobable I doubt bookies would touch it.

Jan 27, 2012
Sturrock indicated that Argyle will achieve promotion if they maintain an average run of form. Which is not that same as saying that they are guaranteed promotion. If you have watched Argyle for as along as I have, you will have seen situations like this go wrong before !

They still need to win games- otherwise they will be caught.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The headline doesn't match what Sturrock says in the article.

Jul 12, 2016
It doesn't necessarily need a drop in form to lose points,nobody can foresee bad injuries, suspensions etc to key players.Best to be cautiously optimistic.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
PL2 3DQ":86slszrj said:

I assumed the Herald headline is a quote from Sturrock... " Its impossible for Plymouth Argyle to be caught"... so whilst the phrase "nailed on " is not verbatum, I felt it was a fair summation of the headline .
Apologies if any one feels this is misleading.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
ghost of hughie reed":t2fs09b3 said:
PL2 3DQ":t2fs09b3 said:

I assumed the headline is a quote from Sturrock... Its impossible for Plymouth Argyle to be caught"... so whilst the phrase "nailed on " is not verbatum, I felt it was a fair summation of the headline .
Apologies if any one feels this is misleading.

Sturrock says: 'Promotion nae done yet'?

(I prefer the cautious approach, I'll celebrate when we can't be caught!! :scarf: )

Mar 14, 2009
If Sturrock said "improbable" then l think you look at that article differently.

We still have to play the best 3 sides at home in our league. Yes we are a very good away side but that, coupled with our inconsistent home performances, means it's not quite over yet even with a 10 point lead.

Its improbable that we wont obtain 3pts or more against Doncaster, Accrington, Portsmouth and Newport. Not however, impossible.

Mar 27, 2008
I'll say it, "we are nailed on for promotion" there you go, you can all quote me on that if you like! We are going up and I'm loving it. :crazy: :scarf:

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
A win tomorrow and it goes from possible to probably in my opinion.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
MickyD":jdd2p7d7 said:
Still, if Stevenage and Luton drop points this afternoon, and Argyle win tomorrow, I think I'll finally allow myself to join the "All over bar the shouting" brigade. I might even revive the final table prediction I made on 11th Feb to a very old Argyle-supporting friend in Oz who left Plymouth many years ago: 1 Argyle, 2 Doncaster, 3 Portsmouth.
It's all over bar the shouting :greensmile:
Final table prediction: 1 Argyle, 2 Doncaster, 3 Portsmouth :scarf:

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
Biggs":2k490ew7 said:
It's a little like being in a fantastic relationship and then being cheated on.

This season, you've met someone else just as good but keep thinking the same thing will happen. Every defeat is like smelling another man's aftershave, or seeing her flirt with someone else.

We're now at the church preparing to get married, but she could still say no and run off with someone else. It almost certainly won't happen at this point, but you're still not 100% confident.

:funny: I like this... well done Biggs!

The way I see it, we're 13 points clear of 4th, meaning we could lose 4 games and still be in the automatic promotion places. Add to that the fact that Stevenage and Blackpool will also drop points of their own, I think we need to lose 5 from 7 to balls this up... that ain't happening! We're home and hosed as far as I'm concerned.

Start planning for League One!

Aug 24, 2011
MajorGreen":2k86cd62 said:
Biggs":2k86cd62 said:

This season, you've met someone else just as good but keep thinking the same thing will happen. Every defeat is like smelling another man's aftershave, or seeing her flirt with someone else.

We're now at the church preparing to get married, but she could still say no and run off with someone else. It almost certainly won't happen at this point, but you're still not 100% confident.

:funny: I like this... well done Biggs!

The way I see it, we're 13 points clear of 4th, meaning we could lose 4 games and still be in the automatic promotion places. Add to that the fact that Stevenage and Blackpool will also drop points of their own, I think we need to lose 5 from 7 to balls this up... that ain't happening! We're home and hosed as far as I'm concerned.

Start planning for League One!

Biggs that Analogy is absolutely perfect!

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Biggs":2amoaeyi said:

You are Ian Holloway and I claim my 30 pieces of silver!

Very good Biggsy!!

Almost there chaps...