SWPL game at Saltash (game off) (merged) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

SWPL game at Saltash (game off) (merged)

May 8, 2011
MarkMatthews":38x6k2u4 said:
I really hope that in the rearranged fixture our "Reserve" or "youth" side get the chance to take these on.

The game at coach road was, understandably met with some disappointment on their behalf, that they had to play against a team stuffed with professionals whilst their title rivals didn't. I'm still sympathetic towards that argument, however I always maintained that, I believed our youngsters could have easily beat them anyway. I think with, in particular the home result against Saltash they have proven they can beat anybody on their day.

The return fixture was a tasty affair, Ben Steer was chock slammed by their keeper, in something you would expect to see in the WWF, not on a football pitch, after Aaron Taylor's enthusiastic challenge seen him sent off. It was a very close game and we were still unlucky not to win in my view. For that, a big part of me really wants to see that group of players, take them on over 90mins, XI v XI (and hopefully beat them!) They are not a team I want to see first team lads play against because they will use that as an excuse.

Talking of Aaron Taylor, I'm acutely aware, he is a name I don't mention nearly enough, whilst talking about the youth team. I believe he is currently out injured but he is one of the unsung heroes of that side the last two years. Always solid, always dependable, adaptable, a real utility player, you can play him across midfield, or across defence you could probably put him in goal if need be and know he would do a proper, solid job. The other unsung hero for my money is Connor McAuley who is an energetic, never say die, type character, always runs his socks off, his engine and his fight are massive. I've spoken to both of them and they are both, well articulated decent, likeable lads, off the pitch as well.

I know that people probably wont be as excited by those two names as: Battle, Fletcher, (Dan) Rooney, Rose, and Bentley, (I've always talked Richards up, though you probably wouldn't have him in that grouping, amongst the fan base's conscience at the moment and Sam Ryan is in a different situation to them all.)

I would love to see Taylor and McAuley offered some sort of deal, be it pro or pro development, even as the two I've probably talked about the least, I still think they have bright futures given the right breaks and could both make it as pros, if they had been born in any other year you would be probably talking about them as the stand out two of their year!

Argyle played 7 first team squad players when the Reserves played Tavistock, who are the current league leaders, so St Austell haven't got much to complain about.