team/formation change | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

team/formation change

Dec 28, 2010
esmer":k0h9pght said:
Greenpafcpete":k0h9pght said:
A good old 4-4-2 finally, i hope!

McCormick

Mellor Nelson Hartley Purrington

Bray Cox Norburn Thomas

Alessandra Reid

Some WIDTH please!!!!
We had good old 442 in the first half on Saturday and were outplayed by ten men. Bizarrely they outnumbered us in midfield despite being a man short. It was only after half time when we went with a three man midfield that we got some possession and went on to win the game.

Esmer,

I class a good old 4-4-2 as having two wide players or wingers on each flank which we did not have on Saturday and have not had for sometime, width has been an issue ever since Sheridan has arrived, Bryan excluded.

Alessandra is a striker not a right sided winger and Banton is a central player either in midfield or playing behind the striker or strikers so we have been playing players to their weaknesses and not their strengths. You can include the left back situation in the same context by us playing a centre back there for instance.

Your right when you say about being overrun in midfield against Southend but did you not see the width they had especially on their left flank which stretched us causing the overrun incident in midfield to occur.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
But you can have width without having a good old 4-4-2.

Look at us in the second half when Mellor and (to a lesser extent) McHugh realised that there was such a thing as forward runs and overlapping from full-backs.

Dec 28, 2010
GreenSam":3buhcfsx said:
But you can have width without having a good old 4-4-2.

Look at us in the second half when Mellor and (to a lesser extent) McHugh realised that there was such a thing as forward runs and overlapping from full-backs.

True Sam.

I would just like to see us go back to a wide attacking 4-4-2 formation as i believe it suits us and history backs that up too in alot of cases. Its more about organisation aswell, everyone knows their job and becomes a solid team. Its easy to then switch to a 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 if we need to be more defensive away from home. Like the Sturrock promotion days.

I know it wont happen but it would be nice to see an organised, hardworking attack minded Argyle again who look a bit more confident in the final 3rd.

Mar 23, 2008
Our squad and Sheridans choice of player does not suit 442 as results have proved. I think a 4231 best suits the current squad, in particular our attackers such as Lewis, Banton and Harvey.

Oct 24, 2010
Greenpafcpete":1mhhozgb said:
esmer":1mhhozgb said:
Greenpafcpete":1mhhozgb said:
A good old 4-4-2 finally, i hope!

McCormick

Mellor Nelson Hartley Purrington

Bray Cox Norburn Thomas

Alessandra Reid

Some WIDTH please!!!!
We had good old 442 in the first half on Saturday and were outplayed by ten men. Bizarrely they outnumbered us in midfield despite being a man short. It was only after half time when we went with a three man midfield that we got some possession and went on to win the game.

Esmer,

I class a good old 4-4-2 as having two wide players or wingers on each flank which we did not have on Saturday and have not had for sometime, width has been an issue ever since Sheridan has arrived, Bryan excluded.

Alessandra is a striker not a right sided winger and Banton is a central player either in midfield or playing behind the striker or strikers so we have been playing players to their weaknesses and not their strengths. You can include the left back situation in the same context by us playing a centre back there for instance.

Your right when you say about being overrun in midfield against Southend but did you not see the width they had especially on their left flank which stretched us causing the overrun incident in midfield to occur.
Problem is with two wide players there will only be two central midfielders and if the opposition have three in midfield (as most do nowadays) they will be outnumbered and struggle for possession and time on the ball. Width needs to come from the full backs.

Against Luton, I reckon I'd go for:

23 McCormick

2 Mellor
5 Nelson
29 Hartley
16 McHugh

4 Cox
28 O'Connor

17 Bray
8 Banton
7 Alessandra

9 Reid

Harsh on Morgan I know, but I think two games in four days could be issue for him, he wasn't as effective when we changed style on Saturday at half-time, and I have really high hopes for Bray.

Jun 11, 2012
I'd probably go for the same team as MG, but with the only change being Norburn for Cox.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
It seems to me that Sheridan has been much quicker to make, and made more, substitutions this season (but I guess that someone will be along with the stats soon to prove me wrong!). So I think we need to look beyond a starting 11 and consider also the impact of having strong(ish) players who are coming on fairly early in the second half either to modify things tactically, strengthen weak areas or capitalise on advantages. All of the attacking players: Reid, Morgan, Alessandra, Banton, Bray, Harvey, Thomas, Smalley should expect to be switched around both in terms of starting games but also during games. Similarly, whereas I had assumed that the central midfield would be Cox and Norburn, it now seems to be more of a variable mix of O'Connor, Cox and Norburn with Allen also coming into contention. You would expect the defence to be stable with minimum changes between and within games and to some extent this may also extend to the central midfield.

To collect these thoughts together, I think we are probably looking at starting games with a 'back six' of:

McCormick, Mellor, Nelson, Hartley, McHugh and O'Connor

with an additional midfielder (Cox or Norburn) either alongside or in front of O'Connor

and then having a front/wide 4 that will chop and change a lot (4-1+1-3-1 or 4-1+3-1-1 or 4-1+3-2 or 4-1-3-2 or 4-1-4-1 are all options here).